WLS?

Options
Hi all,

my name is Carrielee and I am 31 years old.

I have battled being overweight / obesity since I was a young child and I’ve finally gotten the courage to taking the steps toward a healthier self.

At 31, I’m 5 feet tall and weigh 278 pounds, at a BMI of 54.29, it’s time to do this.

I suffer from a myriad of weight related health conditions and fear an early death if I don’t take control of my weight and health.

I suffer from acid reflux, hypertension, high cholesterol, Type II diabetes, arthritis, limited mobility, chest pain/angina, sleep apnea, liver disease...I’m slowly killing myself and I’m tired of it.

Any tips for a first consult with a WLS surgeon? My appointment is on April 25.

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,609 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Have a look at the first two responses in "Need Help!!!" started by @getfitwithdesi

You're young and I understand and applaud the desire to change. I really wish it had hit me at 31 instead of waiting for an extra 17 years beyond that!

That said you're talking about surgery which is going to try impose via negative reinforcement what you're going to have to do anyway: eat at a deficit for an extended time period, seek stabilization at around maintenance for an extended time period till you can slide into an equilibrium, and then continue to eat at maintenance long term.

Maybe you will respond well to that. Maybe you won't.

But I would recommend exploring all options including consulting with a mental health professional in terms of what may be blocking you from being able to lose and maintain weight, i.e. the counseling part mentioned above. Again, with or without surgery you will continue to face the same issues and multiple paths to overcoming them, including surgery, do exist!

Surgeons recommend surgery by the way. They wouldn't be (good) surgeons if they didn't believe in it.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi @carrieleecrenshaw90

Congratulations on making the decision to improve the rest of your life. That’s amazing and momentous- go you!

You mention you’ve been struggling with your weight most of your life. It’s going to take time and effort to change that. There will be set backs so when they come along be ready, embrace them. They don’t need to stop you moving forwards - this is a marathon not a sprint 😀

I haven’t had weight loss surgery and I don’t know anyone who has, so I can’t give you advice there. But what I can say is explore all your options. This is your journey only you know what is right for you.

Some people will tell you WLS is the wrong choice, others that it is the only choice. It’s neither of those things universally.

My very limited understanding is that to be considered for surgery you’ll need to demonstrate an ability to stick to a controlled diet over time so whatever route you take making good food choices is going to need to be something you constantly work towards.

If you haven’t, I’d encourage you to seek out opportunities to explore what is driving you to eat more than you need to when the outcome of this behavior (being overweight) makes you unhappy. Understanding what drives you will be part of achieving long term success.

The best advice I can share is that there isn’t any easy fix whatever route you take - dropping weight and keeping it off over time will be a combination of many changes in your life maintained over time. And, being healthy isn’t the same as being thin. You can be thing simply by not eating - but it won’t be good for your health. A balanced diet, regular exercise, good friendships, getting quality sleep and limiting stress are all required for good health. How can you begin to promote those in your every day life?

I’m wishing you lots of luck on your journey.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The truth is, of all the people losing lots of weight, fewer than 5% keep it off long term. (Learned this on WLS Podcast, as well as directly from my surgeon.)

WLS is not the an "easy way out." It is *A* way out, a tool to help. Just like MFP is a tool, and hitting the gym is a tool. It will absolutely not be easy... but in my past few months of research, nearly every single person who has the surgery is glad they had it.

To prepare for your visit with the surgeon - write down your questions ahead of time to reference. Be prepared to talk a little bit about your weight history. See how your gut feels after meeting with them. If you didn't vibe, make appointments with more surgeons until you find one you can trust completely.

Honestly, meeting with the surgeon for the first consult was literally 20 minutes after MONTHS of research for me. I am in the middle of completing a dozen visits with my nutritionist. I chose an extremely qualified surgeon, who I know will do a great job and who I trust with my body.

But after that hour long surgery, all the rest of the work is on ME. Start working on habits NOW. Drink all your water. Take your vitamins. (The surgeon will probably order bloodwork and let you know which ones to take prior to surgery... I'm on a Prenatal with Iron and prescription Vitamin D.) Start eating more protein and fewer carbs and sugar NOW. Get in the habit of going to the gym a few times a week NOW.

Resources I have found most helpful: Weight Loss Surgery Podcast with Reeger Cortell, Weight Loss Surgery Workbook: Deciding on Bariatric Surgery, Preparing for the Procedure, and Changing Habits for Post-Surgery Success, r/gastricbypass and r/wls on Reddit.

I'm aiming for surgery sometime in June or early July. If you want a buddy, feel free to send me a friend request!