Celiac and losing weight

zfitgal
zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
Hi, I was diagnosed with celiac this past September. I put on 30 pounds out of no where before diagnosis. I have always been in fitness and always tracked my calories. I have been gluten free for 7 months and I have been gf except for an occasional accidental glutening but it’s taking along time for me to lose weight. Before being celiac I could have transformed my body in 7 months. I’m getting depressed because I don’t know my body anymore. I’m getting very discouraged. I do a difference in my upper body but not significant for 7 months. Does anyone know anything about this and inflammation or anything that can help
Me?

Replies

• zfitgal
    Guess no one can help…
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    zfitgal wrote: »
    Guess no one can help…

You might want to give it more than a few hours which, for a good chunk of the world, was the middle of the night...

I'm sorry you're struggling with this. It's not clear from your post if you've managed to lose some weight, just not as much as you hoped, or you aren't losing at all? Are you tracking your intake? Can you open your diary, maybe one of the experienced members can spot something that might help you.
  • Redordeadhead
    @zfitgal you sounded desperate but then disappeared, how are you doing? Do you still want some help? Hope you're managing, coeliac is a tough condition.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    One of the things about going gluten-free is that it's important to learn about all the non-gluten flours. It's easy to eat a lot of high fat, high sugar, highly processed gf foods. Good luck!
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    I was on a gluten-free diet to manage an autoimmune condition for over a year (before proper diagnosis and reactive/allergy test). I am no longer gluten free, but what I did notice recently what that many replacers for what I used to eat was actually heavier, denser and contained more calories. So even if you do eat the normal amount, you would be tracking more calories. Do check your flours, grains and condiments to be sure. Also weight the amounts that you use.

When I was GF I solved the weight gain by eating mostly fruits, veggies, meat and fish. I stuck to rice for carbs and gave up bread completely (I didn't enjoy GF bread as much anyway) and found a brown rice pasta.

It takes a little while to figure it all out and find the things you can enjoy and safely eat. I hope you manage well and soon things will get easier. Stay healthy 🙂
  • zfitgal
    @zfitgal you sounded desperate but then disappeared, how are you doing? Do you still want some help? Hope you're managing, coeliac is a tough condition.
    Hi, I’m still here. I have lost weight I’m just not losing as fast as I would have normally lost. I do know that it takes the body sometime to get used to the new diet and the healing process as well. I just feel extremely frustrated.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    @zfitgal I understand the frustration. I have a lot of experience cooking GF; my husband has celiac disease and I am more GF than the average person, I would guess. What people have shared here is accurate (GF flours are heavy and possibly higher in calories, the bread is tolerable, but not great, purchased bakery goods seem highly processed). A couple tips: keep the various GF flours in your freezer to make them last longer (nut and bean flours may get rancid in your pantry) and boil GF pastas at a slightly lower temp (a full boil will break/dissolve them). In regards to difficulty in dropping weight when using a GF diet…I don’t think there is any difference. Just keep to your calorie allowance. Follow macros as you wish for satiety. It will happen, just not as fast as we all want!
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    It could also be that if you were just recently diagnosed with celiac, that in fact your body is healing. Some people lose weight easily before they are diagnosed because their bodies are not absorbing nutrition well and food goes right through them (w/o adequate digestion). Your gf diet may allow your body to be healing. You might want to talk to your celiac doctor about this, and I'd also suggest that if they could refer you to a dietitian, you might learn quite a bit that would be helpful.
  • Redordeadhead
    zfitgal wrote: »
    Hi, I’m still here. I have lost weight I’m just not losing as fast as I would have normally lost. I do know that it takes the body sometime to get used to the new diet and the healing process as well. I just feel extremely frustrated.

I understand the frustration, and as you said it may be that your body just needs more time to adjust to all the changes. How many calories are you aiming for and what kind of deficit does that put you in? Is it roughly tracking with the amount of weight you've lost over time (e.g. 1lb per week, 0 5lb per week)?