Diabetic

Options
Good morning, Needing help and advice to help control diabetes type II

Replies

• brucejei
    brucejei Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Looking for help/ motivation to help manage diabetes and weight as well. Feel free to add me.
  • onamission45
    onamission45 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes - and trying to get my a1c down from over 16! needing all the tips and motivation -
  • mindblaster92000
    mindblaster92000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Anyone with type 2 diabetes needs to check their blood glucose levels many times per day for a while. You need to learn the carbs that spike your numbers. Breads, pasta's, rice, potatoes are all major culprits, and of course things like ice cream, BBQ sauce, syrup etc., really need to be avoided altogether until you get everything under control and you get your weight, blood glucose and A1C numbers leveled out.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i found when i was first diagnosed with type 2 that exercising large muscles helped with insulin resistance. walking at a decent pace - not super fast and exhausting, but not slow or stopping during the walks - works your legs and glutes, and that helped me a lot with blood sugar and weight loss. i wasn't in good enough shape to do fast walks or hilly walks or bike at any speed to speak of, but 3 to 4 20-minute walks per day made a difference.

i also cut down carbs and started eating more frequent but tiny meals so spikes would be lower due to less calories. the walks and smaller meals got my blood sugar down over 100 points without meds.

also if you're a grazer or binger like me, it helps to find low carb, lower calorie snacks you really like so you are satisfied after eating them. eating things that didn't leave me satisfied tended to lead to more snacking.

use myfitnesspal - weigh all the foods you eat, measure all the liquids. find accurate database entries (there are lots that aren't even close). you'll get an idea of how much of what you eat, and if you test, you'll find how much what foods affect your blood sugar and how long after meals.

a book that helped me a LOT when i was diagnosed is "The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed". this book was written by a nurse who developed type 2, and her info was often more spot on than my doctor or dietician.

as always, YMMV.