Exercise

Options
Hello 'm Tafani,
I worked out this morning before work and by breakfast I was sooooo hungry, I mean like starvin. Why? Also why do we get extra calories added on to our goal when we exercise?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Because you excersized.

To supply fuel for muscle recovery.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Because you excersized.

To supply fuel for muscle recovery.

100% correct.

I will add that *not* eating back the exercise Calories is the number one reason people complain in these forums that they aren't losing fat. You really should eat them. Too little food causes the body to conserve fat.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Perfect answers so far!

To further answer the question about exercise calories being added on... When you set up your calorie allowances, MFP already gives you a deficit based on what you picked for weight loss goals per week. This is the most accurate way for the to set up calories counts for each individual because we all have different activity levels. Plus it allows for folks to lose without having to exercise if they can't (phsyical limitations, health issues, etc etc). When you exercise, you cause even more of a deficit and risk undernourishing your body if you don't eat back those calories.
  • Back2MeMsT
    Back2MeMsT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I was really hungry after I worked out!
  • Back2MeMsT
    Back2MeMsT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I did see I gained a little when I didnt eat the calories after I worked out. I find that strange, but if it works I am all for it.
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I always thought it better not to eat breakfast before exercise but I was told the other day I should have something to give the body calories to work with when exercising in the mornings.