I've had enough

Options
As my username suggests, I've had enough. I've had enough of yo-yo dieting. I've had enough of my pants not fitting. I've had enough of dreading the scale and seeing an unwanted number flash before my eyes.

I am 5'8 and weigh 163lbs as of this morning. My ultimate goal is 140lbs. Less than a year ago I was 230lbs and while I have lost a significant amount of weight, less than a month ago I was 150lbs and "got comfortable." Look what happened! I lost control and gained 13lbs.

Exercise has never been a problem for me. I can run 10 miles in under 90 minutes, I love doing spin classes, I love pushing my body. It's eating. I hate feeling like a slave to food. I hate constantly thinking about what I get to eat next. I hate the fact that I will eat when I am not hungry - just for the sake of eating. Everything else in my life is great. I have an amazingly supportive husband, a great job, no kids, tons of freedom. Yet I can't get this addiction to food under control. I would love some support because I really need to beat this for my own sanity.

Replies

• hadenough
    Options
    As my username suggests, I've had enough. I've had enough of yo-yo dieting. I've had enough of my pants not fitting. I've had enough of dreading the scale and seeing an unwanted number flash before my eyes.

I am 5'8 and weigh 163lbs as of this morning. My ultimate goal is 140lbs. Less than a year ago I was 230lbs and while I have lost a significant amount of weight, less than a month ago I was 150lbs and "got comfortable." Look what happened! I lost control and gained 13lbs.

Exercise has never been a problem for me. I can run 10 miles in under 90 minutes, I love doing spin classes, I love pushing my body. It's eating. I hate feeling like a slave to food. I hate constantly thinking about what I get to eat next. I hate the fact that I will eat when I am not hungry - just for the sake of eating. Everything else in my life is great. I have an amazingly supportive husband, a great job, no kids, tons of freedom. Yet I can't get this addiction to food under control. I would love some support because I really need to beat this for my own sanity.
  • skiski
    skiski Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    welcome to mfp

using the food diary will really help...you can do this xxx
  • snowbune27
    snowbune27 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you mean by addiction to food.... i know alllllll about it.
    I know that even though you're full you continue to eat, because even though your stomach hurts, it still feels good...

that's why this site is here... to help all of us help each other.
    I know that you can do it with all the support here, (you can obviously do it without support or you wouldn't have lost all that weight before.)

welcome, from one new member to another... you're going to find people here who love you and will help you...

GOOD LUCK!:flowerforyou:
  • Bekah
    Bekah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I understand I am the same way, I feel it is unfair that no matter how hard I seem to work I still gain weight and all because I enjoy food!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    welcome and best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Same stats!

I adore food. Ruling out pasta still kills me, but here's what helps: PRElog your food, and if you go over because you just HAD to have something, you'll know ahead of time and compensate with exercise.
  • Time4NUME
    Time4NUME Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I feel your pain!! I am the same way I think we need to talk and keep eachother motivated. Hang in there!!!!!!
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You have already had so much success!! This website will help you find more motivation and support.

Good Luck, you can do it!!

Jess
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Did I write that when I wasn't paying attention?
  • nickelmel
    nickelmel Posts: 87
    Options
    First I wanted to say welcome and congratulations on your weight loss! I know you're kind of down about some weight gain but the loss you've had already is a major accomplishment - so CONGRATULATIONS!!

As far as food goes it's one of those things that has put as all here in this situation. Wouldn't it be nice if we could be like dogs and just eat the same thing every day and only eat when we're hungry? But of course we are surrounded by temptation and we need to figure out how to allow ourselves to eat what we want but not to indulge so much that we lose control. With all of the exercise you do I kind of feel like if you allow yourself to eat what you want and just eat them in moderation you should really be ok. But I feel just like you - I'm going shopping saturday with my sister and I'm excited to go out to lunch. Seriously what is wrong with me? Slim people don't think like this!!

So maybe watching what you eat, keeping up with the exercising and venting here often will help you lose those few extra pounds! :glasses:
  • catherheath
    catherheath Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I completely understand you. I used to weigh 215 when I decided to take control of my weight. I got down to 163 and have stayed there for a couple of years, I've yo-yo back and forth from 155 to 163 but haven't reached my final goal of 135 and it's mostly due to the fact that I have trouble staying consistent. I also use food when I'm stressed or anxious and definitely eat when I'm not even hungry. I completely understand.

It's truly just a matter of making changes that are permanent and if you ever fail one day, pick yourself back up the next, no excuses.

Good Luck!
  • clk238
    clk238 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    wow i have the exact same stats as you. AND i felt like i was reading my own diary. for me it's all bout the food too. I can't really tell you what works, b/c i haven't found it. i can go for days (weeks even) eating really well, and then have a few days where i "fall off the wagon" usually b/c i am too busy to think about what I'm eating, or b/c i'm on vacation or something. I've found that pre-prepared foods help.. maybe your city has some type of fresh food service? Also, I just try to work off the food i eat. I'm in the same boat, can run for hrs, have lots of opportunity for exercise, etc. so i just use that to my advantage, and run more so i can eat more. one thing to keep in mind- no eating late at night. i try really hard to eat breakfast early and space my(many) meals out so I'm not hungry after 7pm.....

you can do this- the food diary/couting calories will really help. eat filling foods!!
  • tyheamma
    tyheamma Posts: 10
    Options
    I've been working my way down from the 250 I hit while I was pregnant. Three weeks after my daughter was born, I weighed what I weigh now (~220). She turned a year old this week! The worst part of it is that I was down to 203, striving for the goal of being under 200 (as in 199.5 would have made me jump for joy). Then Thanksgiving hit and it just kept going up until I hit 225 and decided it had to stop.

I was 140 at the beginning of my junior year of high school. My freshman year of college, I hit 174. Each year seemed to add another 10 lbs until I was 195 when I got pregnant. Right now, I just want to get back to under 200; using MFP has helped me to lose 2 lbs a week for the last two weeks because it encourages me to exercise and helps keep track of where the calories are going. As of today, I'm down to 218... and that takes into account visiting family and eating out 4 meals in 4 days (when I still lost two lbs).

It's also helped a lot because I can see if I'm hungry because I haven't eaten enough or if I'm hungry because I enjoy eating.

I eventually want to hit 160, but I'm also looking at the possibility of getting pregnant again, so I don't have a goal date. I'd like to keep losing 2 lbs a week until I get pregnant, and then have a healthy pregnancy.

Good luck to all of us.... I really think we can do this here!
  • hadenough
    Options
    I've been working my way down from the 250 I hit while I was pregnant. Three weeks after my daughter was born, I weighed what I weigh now (~220). She turned a year old this week! The worst part of it is that I was down to 203, striving for the goal of being under 200 (as in 199.5 would have made me jump for joy). Then Thanksgiving hit and it just kept going up until I hit 225 and decided it had to stop.

I was 140 at the beginning of my junior year of high school. My freshman year of college, I hit 174. Each year seemed to add another 10 lbs until I was 195 when I got pregnant. Right now, I just want to get back to under 200; using MFP has helped me to lose 2 lbs a week for the last two weeks because it encourages me to exercise and helps keep track of where the calories are going. As of today, I'm down to 218... and that takes into account visiting family and eating out 4 meals in 4 days (when I still lost two lbs).

It's also helped a lot because I can see if I'm hungry because I haven't eaten enough or if I'm hungry because I enjoy eating.

I eventually want to hit 160, but I'm also looking at the possibility of getting pregnant again, so I don't have a goal date. I'd like to keep losing 2 lbs a week until I get pregnant, and then have a healthy pregnancy.

Good luck to all of us.... I really think we can do this here!

My husband and I are talking about trying to get pregnant. Or not really trying, but not trying to NOT get pregnant. If that makes any sense. Before that happens I want to be at my goal weight of 140 or 145lbs at the most because I don't want to be that 200lbs pregnant chick and have people wonder "is she pregnant, or just fat?" Maybe that sounds stupid... but I really want a healthy pregnancy and don't think I can do that at my current weight and eating habits. I am hoping to get this under control.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice, helpful and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey, you can do this.:smile::flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: