Oats have deceived me

Options
For months I've been selecting .5 cup of "red tractor rolled oats - oats" and it says 75 calories. Now I've realized that half a cup of rolled oats is more around the 150 mark. Some days I've used a full cup, so I've missed probably 175 calories in my diary every time I've had my oats!!

I love my rolled oats and will continue to have them, I'm just frustrated that so many calories have gone unaccounted for the last few months.

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    This is disappointing for sure. If you want to know exactly how much you're eating, consider getting a food scale that measures in grams. It was really eye opening for me. I have been weighing everything in grams for years because it's so much more accurate. Good thing you figured this out though!! WTG!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Is 75 calories what the label on that package said or what the database said? If you can, check the label vs. the database item you are choosing bc the databased is crowd sourced and it seems in your case, someone simply put the wrong info in-- and that happened to be the one you choose.

EDIT - I checked the database and it seems that the entry that you used (the volumetric one) is simply just incorrect. The rest are done in weight --- which yes technically is more accurate, but the rest of the choices have 40g, which honestly is roughly 1/2 cup anyway. That one is just wrong.

That stinks but don't stress too much. Even if you've done that a number of times --- it would take a lot more for you to be OVER and above your maintenance level consistently to really do much damage in your journey!

It's very hard with the amount of entries here that can be pretty off ... but just do the best you can!
  • MarnieSweats
    MarnieSweats Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! That's encouraging. I weigh my food and use grams for the vast majority of foods. It was just convenient with my oats because I always use the same amount - either 1/2 cup or full cup. I will weigh my portion next time.

Always learning and improving! :D