60+ lady wanting to get fit

Options
Hi there
Decided to count calories and walk more....how do you keep motivated please?

Replies

• jvr8576
    jvr8576 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Remind yourself how important your health is. And the healthier you are the less chance of illness.
  • sukhikaila334
    sukhikaila334 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Celebrating small victories! And believing in yourself! I find that making health a priority is something that's hard to do since it means putting ourselves first, so learning to do that is so important. You are worth it! Believe it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,044 Member
    Options
    Find activities you enjoy, maybe try some new calorie-efficient foods to keep things interesting?

I'm 66, and do an activity I find so fun I'd do it even if it weren't good for me, but it is. Well, more than one activity, actually**.

Getting more active with enjoyable things is a slippery slope: The stronger and fitter one becomes, the more that additional active things become easy and enjoyable.

** I row (boats when I can, machine when I must), cycle (roads and paved trails in Summer, stationary in Winter), mostly. All of that started late in life, late 40s, after cancer treatment.

While I was losing weight, I made it a point to go to the farmers market, a big produce market here, or maybe an ethnic grocery, and pick out some new food - usually a veggie or fruit - that I'd never had before (but that seemed manageable) and try it. That was fun, and some of those foods are more in my regular rotation.

I believe in making weight management and fitness as easy and enjoyable - or at least tolerable - as possible. That requires less motivation (motivation being a thing I'm not good at, personally). Trying to make it happen fast, by taking extreme measures, can backfire.

Best wishes for success!
  • billybuff21
    billybuff21 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Always get back up when your plans take a knock, never give up and love yourself more