Cant get it up...

Options
I've been using the treadmill for about 4 weeks now, walking at 3.0 mph pace. I cant seem to get my heart rate up past 110 - 115. Is it time to increase intensity or should i incorporate more of a cross-training routine?

Replies

• VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Time to either up the pace or the incline. I like to do a few minutes of a higher pace to get my heart rate up and then walk at an incline after that
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i soooo thought you were refering to something...else.

but yes, i would suggest upping your treadmill speed. intervals are good. maybe 3.5 for 2 minutes, then 3.0 for 3 minutes. if that feels okay, try 3.7 for 2 minutes, then back to 3.0 to recover. that should help get it up. :blushing:

best of luck to you!

(edited for poor grammar - i'm obsessive that way)
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Up your speed!! The healthier you get, the harder it gets to increase your heart rate. It's a good problem to have
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Ha.... interesting title. Anyway, I would definitely step up the intensity, by increasing the incline or begin some light jogging. Walking alone won't bring that HR up unless it's like a very steep uphill walk or something.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Time to either up the pace or the incline. I like to do a few minutes of a higher pace to get my heart rate up and then walk at an incline after that

This!!! Do what she says!!
  • statia152
    Options
    LOL I've seen some of your posts before and yes, my curiosity got the better of me. :laugh:
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    LOL I've seen some of your posts before and yes, my curiosity got the better of me. :laugh:
    Sometimes to get some seriouse responses to a serious question, you have to market it better.
  • Fern39
    Options
    Maybe consider a different exercise as well. Like the elliptical trainer or bicycle or even the stair climber!
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    awesome topic name!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Sometimes to get some seriouse responses to a serious question, you have to market it better.

good call Mike! haha
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    You got me ! :laugh:
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Good call. I run on the tread too...
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    If youre on a channel blocker type of high blood pressure medicine, it can have an affect on your heart rate.......After I ve been taken off a blood pressre med, I can get my heart up to the 180s, which I could never when I was on a HBP medicine........talk to your doctor if indeed this is your situation.........good luck
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I worked the treadmill quite a bit when I was starting out. Same problem as you, but increasing the incline did work.