Looking for a Gluten Free Quick on the Go Breakfast

Options
biohazardinc
biohazardinc Posts: 95 Member
Hey guys I have Celiacs so I struggle to find something that I can grab quick and eat at work. I usually eat these RealGood Sandwiches but they are high in calories and fat. My other go to is Cheerios but not sure if I can eat that every single day. Anyone have any ideas of something quick I can make the day before or something I can freeze and microwave at work.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 egg ham and cheese omelet most mornings. It takes me about 5 minutes to make it. I throw it in a container and just reheat for about 30 seconds when I get to the office.

When I really have to literally grab and go I take a Fruit and Nut Kind Bar which are gluten free...but generally speaking I can usually carve out 5 minutes in the morning to whip up my omelet.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and fruit or eggs and avocado with bagel seasoning...those are my alternate breakfasts unless I want oatmeal in the winter. Or an rxbar...
  • biohazardinc
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I have a 2 egg ham and cheese omelet most mornings. It takes me about 5 minutes to make it. I throw it in a container and just reheat for about 30 seconds when I get to the office.

When I really have to literally grab and go I take a Fruit and Nut Kind Bar which are gluten free...but generally speaking I can usually carve out 5 minutes in the morning to whip up my omelet.

Haha I'm one of those people who give myself a very small amount of time to get up and get ready because I struggle so much with energy so I try to give myself the max amount of time in the morning. I'm thinking I need to get up earlier to get some more things done in the morning.

An omelet would be good. I just need to mix things up. I get tired of the same things over and over. I think that was another struggle on WW I was always eatting the same things.
  • biohazardinc
    Options
    Greek yogurt and fruit or eggs and avocado with bagel seasoning...those are my alternate breakfasts unless I want oatmeal in the winter. Or an rxbar...

I enjoy oatmeal. Yogurt is a good option too I just haven't found one that I'm a big fan of that doesn't have too much sugar. Greek Yogurt is a little bitter for me but I haven't tried all of them.
  • Cluelessmama1979
    Cluelessmama1979 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Egg cups/egg muffins! You can make them in advance, wrap/freeze them, then it's like 45 seconds in the microwave. Scramble a dozen eggs in a bowl, throw in a handful of veg, other breakfast meats if you want, season, stir it up, pour into muffin tin, sprinkle cheese on top if you like it, and bake!

Overnight oats are good too, but be careful because sometimes the oats are transported with other grains that do have gluten. But if you already eat oatmeal, making overnight oats, maybe with some yogurt mixed in or mashed frozen bananas, it should be good.

If you like omelets but get pressed for time, you can buy "egg wraps" that are basically flat eggs lol... get one out in the morning, sprinkle on some cheese/precut veggies/whatever, and pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Or sheetpan omelets made in advance. Mix all your omelet ingredients in a bowl, spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray, pour in the omelet mix and pop it in the oven. When they are done, slice the giant omelet into like 4-8 pieces (depends on the size of your baking sheet) and roll them up, wrap, and freeze.

My daughter likes making turkey sausage patties on the george foreman grill. There's not a lot of fat in turkey so the grease tray won't fill over if she puts them on there, and goes to brush her hair/wash her face, they are done around the time she finishes.

You can buy pre-cooked, frozen breakfast meats, but you can make them in advance yourself, too! The trick is that as soon as they have finished cooking, pop them on a plate into the freezer for 10 minutes. Then take them out and wrap/freeze them properly.

Make your own frozen treat with mashed bananas (if you want I will dig up a recipe I used to love, is kinda like ice cream, but, not). In the morning, quickly toss it in a bowl with some fresh fruit (banana and strawberry is a classic combo)

I've been deliberately vague because these are all highly customizable for preference and variety!

Consider non-traditionally breakfast foods. Different countries eat different things for breakfast. Beans, soup, even fish, lol. There's no evidence that the foods we eat for breakfast are any better in the morning than any other foods! My favorite non-breakfast breakfast is cold grilled chicken tossed with sliced cucumbers and tomatoes with wayyyyy too much salt, lol.

I have more... or used to... I will post more qs I remember them, if you like. And if you need recipes for any of them let me know!

• cwolfman13
    Options

Haha I'm one of those people who give myself a very small amount of time to get up and get ready because I struggle so much with energy so I try to give myself the max amount of time in the morning. I'm thinking I need to get up earlier to get some more things done in the morning.

An omelet would be good. I just need to mix things up. I get tired of the same things over and over. I think that was another struggle on WW I was always eatting the same things.

I go through phases. In the winter I usually hard boil a bunch of eggs for the week and take a couple of those along with some oatmeal to work. A couple of months ago I was having toasted peanut butter and jam sandwiches for breakfast. Right now I'm on an omelet kick. We're heading into summer and hot weather and I often do smoothies for breakfast in the summer. Usually a frozen banana, an apple, a big handful of spinach, oat milk, and greek yogurt.
  • Cluelessmama1979
    Options
    Usually a frozen banana, an apple, a big handful of spinach, oat milk, and greek yogurt.

I absolutely love frozen bananas as an ingredient in general. Super versatile!

• gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    There are gluten free oats. Cream of rice is nice too and is also gluten free.
  • biohazardinc
    Options
    Egg cups/egg muffins! You can make them in advance, wrap/freeze them, then it's like 45 seconds in the microwave. Scramble a dozen eggs in a bowl, throw in a handful of veg, other breakfast meats if you want, season, stir it up, pour into muffin tin, sprinkle cheese on top if you like it, and bake!

Overnight oats are good too, but be careful because sometimes the oats are transported with other grains that do have gluten. But if you already eat oatmeal, making overnight oats, maybe with some yogurt mixed in or mashed frozen bananas, it should be good.

If you like omelets but get pressed for time, you can buy "egg wraps" that are basically flat eggs lol... get one out in the morning, sprinkle on some cheese/precut veggies/whatever, and pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Or sheetpan omelets made in advance. Mix all your omelet ingredients in a bowl, spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray, pour in the omelet mix and pop it in the oven. When they are done, slice the giant omelet into like 4-8 pieces (depends on the size of your baking sheet) and roll them up, wrap, and freeze.

My daughter likes making turkey sausage patties on the george foreman grill. There's not a lot of fat in turkey so the grease tray won't fill over if she puts them on there, and goes to brush her hair/wash her face, they are done around the time she finishes.

You can buy pre-cooked, frozen breakfast meats, but you can make them in advance yourself, too! The trick is that as soon as they have finished cooking, pop them on a plate into the freezer for 10 minutes. Then take them out and wrap/freeze them properly.

Make your own frozen treat with mashed bananas (if you want I will dig up a recipe I used to love, is kinda like ice cream, but, not). In the morning, quickly toss it in a bowl with some fresh fruit (banana and strawberry is a classic combo)

I've been deliberately vague because these are all highly customizable for preference and variety!

Consider non-traditionally breakfast foods. Different countries eat different things for breakfast. Beans, soup, even fish, lol. There's no evidence that the foods we eat for breakfast are any better in the morning than any other foods! My favorite non-breakfast breakfast is cold grilled chicken tossed with sliced cucumbers and tomatoes with wayyyyy too much salt, lol.

I have more... or used to... I will post more qs I remember them, if you like. And if you need recipes for any of them let me know!

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. They are going on the list :)
  • biohazardinc
    Options

I go through phases. In the winter I usually hard boil a bunch of eggs for the week and take a couple of those along with some oatmeal to work. A couple of months ago I was having toasted peanut butter and jam sandwiches for breakfast. Right now I'm on an omelet kick. We're heading into summer and hot weather and I often do smoothies for breakfast in the summer. Usually a frozen banana, an apple, a big handful of spinach, oat milk, and greek yogurt.

Oh yes! I forgot about smoothies. I was drinking strawberry and vanilla premier protein for awhile I'll have to try that again.

What bread do you use for your toast?
  • biohazardinc
    Options
    Usually a frozen banana, an apple, a big handful of spinach, oat milk, and greek yogurt.

I absolutely love frozen bananas as an ingredient in general. Super versatile!

I've only ever used it in smothies. What else have you used it in? I think you said ice cream right?
  • biohazardinc
    Options
    gpanda103 wrote: »
    There are gluten free oats. Cream of rice is nice too and is also gluten free.

Yes I use the gluten free quaker oats. I've tried cream of rice once but couldn't find a way to make it so plain I'll have to try it again.
  • Cluelessmama1979
    Options

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions. They are going on the list :)

Glad you can use them! I have a love hate relationship with breakfast and did a looooot of experimenting lol.

I've only ever used it in smothies. What else have you used it in? I think you said ice cream right?

Smoothies, ice cream, binder/filling for homemade pastries, as a sweetener in hot cereals (like oatmeal or grits) or in drinks (if you do it right, frozen mashed banana in a food processor turns powdery, and the banana powder + vanilla almond milk = banana milk... or a tsp of banana powder + a tsp of almond milk is also great in coffee.)

Mashed bananas tend to be a good substitute in *most* recipes which ask for pudding or yogurt. And I used to use them instead of an egg in some cake batters, lol.

The "ice cream" I used to make isn't really... ice cream. It's not even like a halo-top, imitation ice cream. It's just a similar consistency yummy frozen treat.

So... for about 1 pint:

Peel 3 bananas, break them into chunks... size doesn't matter... maybe into thirds or fourths... and pop them onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet (can use a plate but it always seemed to me to freeze faster on a metal tray). Try not to let the chunks touch or they will freeze back together. Then pop it in the freezer.

After at least 5 hours ... or up to 24 hours if you forget about them like I do...

Put them in a food processor. Add between 350-400ml of almond milk or coconut milk or idk, whatever milk you like. But almond and coconut miljs add different flavors. I use vanilla almond milk. Then blend it till it's like gelato texture.

Toss your toppings into the food processor. (I like chocolate chips and pb2, my daughter likes pistachio and walnut) and blend it in a bit.

The bananas are usually around 315 calories. 350 ml of almond milk is 60 calories.

So 375 calories for a pint without toppings. But it's more or less depending on what milk you use, and some toppings can be pretty calorific, so if you have a low calorie budget like me, or want luxurious toppings, I suggest half pint servings lol.
  • biohazardinc
    Options
    Banana powder! That sounds amazing. How do you do that? You said frozen bananas is that the only process. This is interesting. I use to use non frozen bananas to make pancakes while on weight watchers but man oh man are they high in calorie. On WW they were 0 points.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options

I enjoy oatmeal. Yogurt is a good option too I just haven't found one that I'm a big fan of that doesn't have too much sugar. Greek Yogurt is a little bitter for me but I haven't tried all of them.

Light n fit greek yogurt comes in fruit or vanilla flavors and is not bitter, no sugar added
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Oh yes! I forgot about smoothies. I was drinking strawberry and vanilla premier protein for awhile I'll have to try that again.

What bread do you use for your toast?

I use Dave's Killer 21 grain and seed. It's not gluten free though
  • Cluelessmama1979
    Options
    Banana powder! That sounds amazing. How do you do that? You said frozen bananas is that the only process. This is interesting. I use to use non frozen bananas to make pancakes while on weight watchers but man oh man are they high in calorie. On WW they were 0 points.

Almost any dry food, in a food processor, turns to powder.

Also, though it's easier if you have a dehydrator, you can dry almost any fruit without one.

We used to have a big grape vine in our yard when I was a kid, and a neighbor showed us how to make sun-dried raisins. When I started trying to lose weight the first time, I dried a bunch of different fruits trying to replace crunchy chips with something healthy.... they're just like the banana chips you can buy at the store.

But... it's too much for me. Instead I just slice the bananas thinly, freeze them just like in the not ice cream recipe above, except, yknow, in slices.

Anyway, you take your dried or frozen fruit, or store-bought dehydrated fruit or whatever, toss it in the food processor and pulverize it. It comes out all powdery.

If you used dehydrated fruit you can store it it the fridge, but if it's frozen bananas it gets ... not-powder lol... when it thaws, so I store that in the freezer.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind Asian breakfast, instant ramen made with rice noodles or bean thread noodles are gluten free. Instant congee (Chinese savoury rice porridge) too. Both easy to make in the office.

You just put the stuff in a bowl, add boiling water from a kettle and cover with a plate for 3 minutes while the noodles soften. For extra fibre you can toss in a handful of beansprouts or other quick cooking veg such as a few sprigs of coriander. If you want more protein you can poach an egg in a microwave in a coffee mug. Put a few tablespoons of water in a coffee mug, microwave for a minute to heat up the water, break in an egg and microwave at 30 second intervals. One or two blasts is enough depending on the microwave.

Instant ramen made with bean, sweet potato or rice noodles are incidentally 60% of the calories of the wheat based ones. Wheat noodles need to be fried to make them instant. Not so with rice, sweet potato, or bean vermicelli.
  • biohazardinc
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    If you don't mind Asian breakfast, instant ramen made with rice noodles or bean thread noodles are gluten free. Instant congee (Chinese savoury rice porridge) too. Both easy to make in the office.

You just put the stuff in a bowl, add boiling water from a kettle and cover with a plate for 3 minutes while the noodles soften. For extra fibre you can toss in a handful of beansprouts or other quick cooking veg such as a few sprigs of coriander. If you want more protein you can poach an egg in a microwave in a coffee mug. Put a few tablespoons of water in a coffee mug, microwave for a minute to heat up the water, break in an egg and microwave at 30 second intervals. One or two blasts is enough depending on the microwave.

Instant ramen made with bean, sweet potato or rice noodles are incidentally 60% of the calories of the wheat based ones. Wheat noodles need to be fried to make them instant. Not so with rice, sweet potato, or bean vermicelli.

That sounds amazing but I don’t think I’ve seen gluten free ramen around me. I think I’ve seen the noodle but not the base. Where do you find it?