Movies or Books

Options
AnabellaAveline21
AnabellaAveline21 Posts: 12 Member
Not sure if this has been done before but I am curious,
Do you prefer the books or the movie adaptations?
What book would you want to be turned into a movie which hasn't been done so?

Personally I know this has been done already as a movie but I would want them to redo World War Z....Sorry but I loved the book and personally feel that the movie did no justice, I think if they followed the story line (yeah it wouldn't appeal to majority of the public) it would make out to be an interesting story with lots of flashbacks.

Replies

• SFnBald
    SFnBald Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Movies for sure. I can't stay focused on a book for more than one paragraph usually!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I think of books and their subsequent TV/movie adaptations as two separate things and can usually enjoy both. I'm a huge fan of the Hamish Macbeth/Agatha Raisin books. I enjoyed the VERY different Macbeth TV series; Agatha? Not so much. I'm usually quite surprised when a film comes anywhere close to matching the book.
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I agree. I try to enjoy both as two separate versions since often the ending or direction of the story gets changed anyway. The movie rarely turns out better than your own imagination and the characters are always more exciting in your head. I enjoy the movie more when I go in without any expectations. I understand that it's impossible to use all the beautiful details that are described in the book in the creation of the movie.
  • tlgeer
    tlgeer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Books. I like to use my imagination to "See" what is happening.

A pet peeve - books turned into movies that have no resemblance to the book. For instance, the Bourne novels. I am a huge, huge fan. When I found out that there was going to be a remake of the Bourne Identity, and that Matt Damon had signed on to play Jason Bourne, I was thrilled. Then I discovered that that director basically threw out the whole story and had the story rewritten,

I saw the movie, hoping that it would be good, but it wasn't. Other than the names NOTHING resembled the book. They should have just changed the name.
  • LegionOfZoom
    LegionOfZoom Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Books when they are well written, but some are so dry the movies were an improvement!
  • CoffeeNstilettos
    CoffeeNstilettos Posts: 2,594 Member
    Options
    I like both but love reading so I'd have to say books.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm in the, they are two separate things camp as well, though I'd say generally I prefer a limited series adaptation of a book to a movie. With a limited series they can fit a lot more of the story in and a lot more detail. I often find movie adaptations to be missing a lot of the story due to time constraints and having to try to fit in everything into a couple of hours...they tend to miss a lot of important little details that actually make the story. I think it usually works best for movies if they're an add on story to a book rather than an adaptation.