Carton of Egg Whites vs Actual eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if there is a difference between the egg whites that you can buy in the cartons...and the egg whites in actual eggs? This may be a stupid question.. but i am just curious.

Thanks

They are more expensive and missing the yummy yolk

YEAP what the dude above me said^^^^ YOLK = YUMMY!!!!!!
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    There are organic whites in cartons. Some of the chemicals they add are good for you. Like vitamin B and omega oils. Demonizing egg whites in cartons is as ridiculous as demonizing the whole egg. they are lower in calories and less work. I'd not eat eggs at all if I had to bother with separating each one and they are a very good source of low calorie protein. I don't think the whole egg is worth the fat or calories personally and I do think yolks are nasty. I get my fat back in it by adding a much yummier cheese. Just me but that is how i feel about it.

If you need a protein jump start I think they're a very good way to go.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The only added ingredient in the ones I'd got before was guar gum, which they say is to make it whisk better.

It's pasteurised and kept refrigerated (eggs aren't kept in the fridge in shops here.)
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you decide to opt for egg whites in a carton, you may want to check the ingredients before you purchase them. I have two options at my local grocer - one with one ingredient (egg whites), the other has about six ingredients in it.
  • mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options
    Very simply put, the macro content is the difference

An egg yolk contains 5g of fat normally and also contains cholesterol which for men can actually boost test levels, where as egg whites do not contains yolks, therefore only contain protein and a HINT of carbs.

Seriously it, unless you want to break down all the organic vs non organic BS.
  • Dechant63
    Options
    I just remove the yolks. Not always but I eat more whites than entire eggs.
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just buy egg whites simply because it's more time efficient.
    Chug the carton, don't bother even cooking it.

Fon7ana..
    you looking thick solid and tight bro
  • mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options
    I just buy egg whites simply because it's more time efficient.
    Chug the carton, don't bother even cooking it.

Fon7ana..
    you looking thick solid and tight bro

Thanks broski
  • Ileadbyexample
    Ileadbyexample Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Actually if you have a hereditary disposition to high cholesterol, egg yolks are terrible or you. Actual case in point, I lowered my LDL cholesterol 20 points and the ONLY modification in diet was quitting the yolk. Don’t make sweeping statements about foods that may not apply to those with health issues!
  • pcrozier99
    pcrozier99 Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    As far as taste and calories? No difference. A few more preservatives, of course. I have found it super convenient and a great weight for some healthy protein.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,612 Member
    Options
    pcrozier99 wrote: »
    As far as taste and calories? No difference. A few more preservatives, of course. I have found it super convenient and a great weight for some healthy protein.

The carton of egg whites in my fridge just contains egg whites. And eggs (for some reason :)). Don't they have to disclose any preservatives?

But, yup, no difference other than the convenience of pouring verses cracking and separating and hopefully not getting any unwanted shell.
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    pcrozier99 wrote: »

In general, no preservatives which would have to be declared if added. They last longer because they are pasteurized (heated) as part of their manufacturing process.
  • asellitti6523
    asellitti6523 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I buy both eggs and egg whites in the carton. I typically go with 2 whole eggs and then a couple tablespoons of the egg whites and scramble. It helps cut down on the cholesterol but eating only the whites would be pretty expensive.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,650 Member
    Options
    I try to manage use of yolks and whites from fresh eggs, but keep egg white ice cubes in the freezer for when I am short on whites and need some. Freeze a carton in silicon ice cube trays or muffin tins for long term storage, transferring them into a ziplock bag once frozen. A typical egg white is 40g so that is the weight I aim for when making the ice cubes.

Recipes for using excess yolks:
    Hollandaise, mayonnaise
    Spaghetti carbonara
    Salt cured egg yolks
    Baked custard
    Lemon curd

Recipes for using excess whites:
    Meringue or pavlova
    Almond or coconut macaroons
    Calorie stretching scrambled egg with extra whites
    Batters for crumbing and frying such as for schnitzel
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Great convenient source of protein with low fat and calories. Make a good scramble with sauteed veggies and som herbs.