Getting sick when adjusting my diet

Options
So I eat very poorly, like In definitely sure I'm malnourished because I mostly eat junk and fast food.

However anytime I try to buy something and start preparing better food with veggies and the like, I spend the next couple days feeling sick to my stomach. My rationalization is that my digestive system is just not used to having to work so hard since I usually eat garbage and now I'm giving it a real challenge.

Is that accurate or should I see a doctor to see if I need to try a different sort of diet protocol?

Replies

• mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If you believe you eat so poorly that you are malnourished then you should definitely see a doctor.
  • Cluelessmama1979
    Cluelessmama1979 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It sounds like, either way, you should talk to a doctor.

Except when I'm focused on eating right/trying to lose weight, I *never* ate fruit or veg, other than the tomatoes and lettuce on a taco or cheeseburger.

Awful, I know...

But... I also started feeling sick to my stomach when I started eating better.

In my case it was genuinely just an adjustment period. Not because my stomach wasn't used to it, but because I wasn't.
    It was psychosomatic. I was given a prescription that fixed the nausea in the meantime.

But it *could* be an allergy. A couple of accountability partners had similar issues (that's how we met) and one of them had a nightshade allergy... she couldn't eat tomatoes or peppers or something.

In either case, going to the doctor was the best bet.

But that doesn't mean you have to wait for an appointment to get healthier. As someone pointed out above, you can implement small changes to do better than you did before.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This sounds kind of like refeeding. Your body has gotten so used to eating a certain way that it is completely accustomed to that. New stuff is a shock to the system
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,500 Member
    Options
    So I eat very poorly, like In definitely sure I'm malnourished because I mostly eat junk and fast food.
    Improbable that you're actually officially malnourished. Even junk food and fast food have some nutrients. Unless you have a serious (doctor-diagnosed) deficiency or deficiency-related health condition, there's no need to make a change instantly for health's sake.

Many Americans (my reference group, that I know most about) and probably other folks in developed-world countries likewise, are deficient in some micronutrients and fiber, but more like sub-par than literally "malnourished'. It'll be good to fix that, but it's not a 5-alarm crisis.
    However anytime I try to buy something and start preparing better food with veggies and the like, I spend the next couple days feeling sick to my stomach. My rationalization is that my digestive system is just not used to having to work so hard since I usually eat garbage and now I'm giving it a real challenge.

Is that accurate or should I see a doctor to see if I need to try a different sort of diet protocol?

Best guess: Are you increasing fiber dramatically? That can do it, especially if you lowball fats and hydration at the same time. Extra likely, if you feel constipated - lower belly uncomfortable, etc. It can cause gas and bloating, too, or a sense of nausea (things sort of get backed up).

Another possibility: Did you start eating a lot of some common sensitivity-related food, that you didn't much eat before, like dairy, soy, nuts, eggs, yeast, gluten? (The last two are unlikely: Lots of gluten and yeast in standard fast food/junk food, usually.)

Anytime there's a notable change in diet, our gut microbiome needs to adapt. Research suggests that takes a couple of weeks or so. If there's a dramatic change, there can be digestive unpleasantness until that adaptation happens. (Gut microbiome: Several pounds of microscopic critters in your digestive system that are essential to your well being, but that aren't even genetically "you". They digest things we don't, turn them into substances we need. If we change diet dramatically, we need to develop a different population mix of those little guys. Some die off, we need new ones. To get new ones, consider probiotic foods in your mix: Live culture yogurt/kefir, unpasteurized sauerkraut/kim chi, unpasteurized vinegar, etc. You could even take a probiotic supplement, though that's sort of a shot in the dark.)

If you're going to make a dramatic change in what you eat, phase it in slowly (as someone above recommended). That will work better.

For now, go back to foods you ate before, even if you think they're fast food/junkfood/garbage so evil. (They're not that evil.) Keep it calorie appropriate if you can. Do that for a few days to a couple of weeks. If you still feel sick, see a doctor.

If you feel OK after going back to your previous way of eating, gradually add in some more nutrient-dense foods, and gradually phase out foods you want to reduce. Spread that over several weeks. If a problem occurs, notice what changed in your eating in days close to that time, like with a couple of days. Adjust accordingly.

Go slowly. You'll probably end up OK.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Another vote for making changes gradually, ESPECIALLY when it comes to increasing fiber.