How much weight do you lose?

Options
How much weight do you lose on a weekly basis by working out and keeping your calories down? Im hoping to lose 2lbs a week by working out 4 times a week and keeping to 1200 cals a day.
What have your loses been like?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    2lb a week is a lot! If you have a good bit to lose, then it's feasible, but don't be disappointed if you dont lose that much every single week.

Your diet is more important than the exercise part, so if you have to chose between eating well or a session at the gym, you know what to do.

Welcome aboard, and good luck on your journey!
  • ltlane
    ltlane Posts: 120
    Options
    i dont lose every week. i have a lot to lose and it still doesnt happen, body is stubborn. when its stubborn i kick it in gear. so far i have only lost during my 1st, 3rd and 5th week. one week i lost 6, another week 4 and the other 3.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I lose roughly 3.5 lbs a week, been my average for the past 5 weeks or so. The one thing Ill say is Im 20 years old, so that kinda gives me an advantage with my natural metabolism
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I would be happy with 1/2 lb to start then just 1lb a week, if you loose more we are told that we will put it back on again! A healthy weight to loose is 1lb, as long as I dont put it on I think that will suffice...

But on my monthly my weight can go up and down half a stone. (in that period of time) Sooooooooo depends on you as a person and what works for you! You go girl xx
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    When I eat the Calories MFP says to eat, I lose exactly what MFP says I'll lose.

Remember that the 1200 Calorie absolute minimum is given as "Net Calories". That means that you are supposed to eat back all the Calories you burn exercising. MFP will calculate this for you automatically.

Stay committed and good luck!
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i been losing 1-3pounds a week i got it set at 1.5 to lose a week but i been excersising twice as much as i got on here and i never go over my calorie goal.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    That was the rate at which I lost weight on average over a period of about one year.
    I'm now maintaining but you must be careful to closely monitor the loss and make sure not to drink too much water like I did otherwise your sodium levels drop.
    I drink Powerade Zero now after a workout to bring my electrolytes back up.
  • joanpchapman
    Options
    I stick to the rules and make sure I eat 1200 calories on top of what I'm allowed for exercise. I'm only losing a few ounces a week but it soon adds up. I have lost 19 pounds in 8 months. My skin hasn't gone flabby and I am rarely hungry. This way it's more likely to stay off so don't be in a hurry !
  • aldale
    aldale Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think it is different for different people and different diets. No matter what diet I do, cutting calories or carbs, I lose weight slowly. But I have noticed that I lose a bit faster when I cut carbs. But cutting just carbs is not altogether healthy. It is best to limit carbs and calories. Since I do not see it come off fast, I give up. This has been in the past. This time I am using MFP to help me keep track of both calorie intake and sugar intake. Doing this regimen has been great for me! I am still losing weight slower that other people, but I am staying motivated with the support. My first week I lost 3 pounds but then I only lost .5 pound the next few weeks. Then I did not lose any for a few weeks. Then last week I lost 2 pounds. So it is a slow go but I am trying to make this a way of life and not a diet. If it is a diet, you regain the weight when you get off the diet.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I started off with a 1-2 pound a week loss. Once I came within 15 pounds of goal my body was not having any of that anymore and plateaued. I now have MFP set to lose 0.5 pounds/week and that is pretty much about what I have been losing. Mind you, I have 30 pounds to lose total and have been on MFP for 7 months and am STILL 2 pounds from my goal. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you lose on a weekly basis by working out and keeping your calories down? Im hoping to lose 2lbs a week by working out 4 times a week and keeping to 1200 cals a day.
    Aldale's right... It is different for different people and you have to find the right route that suits you and makes you feel happy. :happy:

Enjoyment is THE MOST IMPORTANT aspect of weight loss. If you feel it’s a chore counting calories or exercising, then it won’t be long before you start giving in to your cravings.

At 14st then you’ll probably find it relatively easy to lose 2lb a week for the first couple of months, but don’t get carried away. This isn’t a race, you’ve got the rest of your long and wonderful life ahead of you and if you want to lose weight and keep it off, you need to get rid of any DIET nonsense and start thinking in terms of a nutrition and exercise plan. This must fit in with your way of life and be achievable.

Things change, personal circumstances, likes and dislikes, so plan small goals and achievements and this will help keep you on the right road. I’ve lost my first stone (yeah!!!) and next is to get to 100kg. Thereafter I have 90kg goal, an 80kg goal and eventually a 70kg goal. I also have clothing goals, dropping a jeans size every so often etc. I just want to try and be fit for my 50th birthday at the end of 2014.

Having a clear roadmap is good, but don’t stress out too much if you deviate slightly along the way e.g. you might have a wedding, a birthday, Christmas etc... once you start losing weight you’ll find your natural rhythm. Enjoy the detour because you’ll know how to get back onto the right road again.

It’s scary making a start, but soon you’ll be getting encouraging messages and you’ll find it easier with MFP :bigsmile:
  • jacrista
    jacrista Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been losing 1.5 pounds a week for the last few weeks, wish I could lose more than that, at least 2lbs, but I guess I should be happy to be going in the right direction at last!
  • aldale
    Options
    Aldale's right... It is different for different people and you have to find the right route that suits you and makes you feel happy. :happy:

Enjoyment is THE MOST IMPORTANT aspect of weight loss. If you feel it’s a chore counting calories or exercising, then it won’t be long before you start giving in to your cravings.

At 14st then you’ll probably find it relatively easy to lose 2lb a week for the first couple of months, but don’t get carried away. This isn’t a race, you’ve got the rest of your long and wonderful life ahead of you and if you want to lose weight and keep it off, you need to get rid of any DIET nonsense and start thinking in terms of a nutrition and exercise plan. This must fit in with your way of life and be achievable.

Things change, personal circumstances, likes and dislikes, so plan small goals and achievements and this will help keep you on the right road. I’ve lost my first stone (yeah!!!) and next is to get to 100kg. Thereafter I have 90kg goal, an 80kg goal and eventually a 70kg goal. I also have clothing goals, dropping a jeans size every so often etc. I just want to try and be fit for my 50th birthday at the end of 2014.

Having a clear roadmap is good, but don’t stress out too much if you deviate slightly along the way e.g. you might have a wedding, a birthday, Christmas etc... once you start losing weight you’ll find your natural rhythm. Enjoy the detour because you’ll know how to get back onto the right road again.

It’s scary making a start, but soon you’ll be getting encouraging messages and you’ll find it easier with MFP :bigsmile:
  • aldale
    Options

I agree totally!!! Well said!!!!!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I went for losing 2lbs a week to 1lb to 1/2lb to now 1/2lb a month.
  • toinel
    Options
    I don't really work out a lot, so by just counting calories, this is my progress -

Week 1 - 9.4lbs
    Week 2 - 3.6lbs
    Week 3 - 2.4lbs
    Week 4 - 2.0lbs
    Week 5 - 1.4lbs
    Week 6 - 1.2lbs
    Week 7 - 2.4lbs
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Before meeting my goal I lost about 1 lb per week.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds per week. I do 60-80 min of cardio 6x/week and stay right around or under 1700 calories a day. I very rarely eat my exercise calories back.