Sugar Free Foods = 40% greater risk of obesity

Options
This is such a great article, but I wanted to focus on Myth #5 specifically from it. Here's the article link in case you want to read the whole thing:

http://fitbie.msn.com/lose-weight/tips/5-myths-about-calories/tip/0

Myth #5: Low-Calorie Foods Help You Lose Weight
Not always.

Processed low-calorie foods can be weak allies in the weight-loss war. Take sugar-free foods. Omitting sugar is perhaps the easiest way to cut calories. But food manufacturers generally replace those sugars with calorie-free sweeteners, such as sucralose or aspartame. And artificial sweeteners can backfire. One University of Texas study found that consuming as few as three diet sodas a week increases a person's risk of obesity by more than 40 percent. For even more beverages to avoid, read The Best and Worst Soft Drinks in America. And in a 2008 Purdue study, rats that ate artificially sweetened yogurt took in more calories at subsequent meals, resulting in more flab. The theory is that the promise of sugar—without the caloric payoff—may actually lead to overeating.

"Too many people are counting calories instead of focusing on the content of food," says Alderman. "This just misses the boat."

Your move: Avoid artificial sweeteners and load up your plate with the bona fide low-calorie saviors: fruits and vegetables.

Replies

• whatwentwrong
    Options
    i really hate the oversimplification of this- sugar-free foods may lead to you eating more, and eating more may lead to weight gain, but all the sensationalist crap i hear puts that middle part in fine print.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the previous poster. I drink/bake sugar free most of the time, but I never use that as a key to eat more elsewhere. As long as this isn't done, sugar-free doesn't make you gain weight.
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Where's the study looking at people counting calories and using sugar-free sweeteners? These allow me to enjoy some sweet(er) things without adding the calories I'm counting. It's enough to make you wonder if these other studies aren't sponsored some corn farming association.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I'm just putting information out there....there are so many hater's on this site lately. I thought were all here to support eachother, not attack eachother. I didn't make this article up, it's on MSN. I'm just reposting in case people are interesting in reading recent research.

:mad:
  • Honeytongue
    Options
    Just read this the other day: Aspartame is made of 3 components, 50% phenylalanine, 40% aspartic acid and 10% methanol (wood alcohol). In the body methanol breaks down into formaldehyde (embalming fluid) and formic acid.

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/aspartame.htm

Im 42 and prior to 7 years ago I had always been in shape. (im still "in shape" but now have gained a lot of weight) After a lot od analysis comparing then and now, One of the main differences (besides age)is that I realized that prior to 7 years ago, I never drank soda, regular or diet. Now I drink quite a bit (mostly diet).

I was talking with a friend who had been heavy and started getting into shape. He was training for his first 5k run and couldnt lose a pound. He finally cut out the diet soda and BAM, now the weight is coming off.

So I am going to cut out the soda and see where that gets me.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've heard that artificial sweeteners can stay on your tongue longer and that sometimes contributes to weight gain. You taste the sweet and it drives you to eat more. Nothing really seems conclusive. I occasionally have sugar free hard candy because I get cankers. Le sigh. Otherwise it's just a good idea to stay away from it. I already eat enough things created in a lab.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i'm sorry if it seemed like i was hating on or attacking you- i just disapprove of the way this article and many others present information :/
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone and every survey assume that everyone likes fruit and veg?

It's like if you dont like fruit and veg, dont bother trying to lose weight!

And 40% higher risk of obesity? Obesity isn't a disease, something you get via bad luck. We do it to ourselves. "Risk" isnt anything to do with it! If you watch what you eat, and the amounts, having diet soda is perfectly fine for most of us.
    It's enough to make you wonder if these other studies aren't sponsored some corn farming association.

Could not agree more.

Bottled water companies promoted the "8 a day" myth, and now it seems farmers have gotten into the act too.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm just putting information out there....there are so many hater's on this site lately. I thought were all here to support eachother, not attack eachother. I didn't make this article up, it's on MSN. I'm just reposting in case people are interesting in reading recent research.

No one is "hating" or attacking... just stating opinions. Debate can be part of healthy support. :)
  • HMonsterX
    Options

No one is "hating" or attacking... just stating opinions. Debate can be part of healthy support. :)

Exactly. Why do you think this is an attack against you, OP? It's attacking the article for its ambiguous use of surveys and research. The bit about rats really got my goat. Rats who were given sweeteners ate more at their next meal?

Please!

WE AREN'T RATS! WE ARE HUMANS! We have self control (allegedly), we don't eat as much as possible whenever possible. We understand calories, we know when our next meal is coming, rats don't! We can CHOOSE not to eat more if we want. It's not the sweeteners fault, it's OUR fault.

Seriously, we need to stop looking for things to blame for our own bad choices!!
  • RangerSteve
    Options

What?????

You post a study.
    People pick the study apart
    None of it has to do with you
    You get pissed off and say people are attacking you

^
    Am I missing something here?
  • HMonsterX
    Options

What?????

You post a study.
    People pick the study apart
    None of it has to do with you
    You get pissed off and say people are attacking you

^
    Am I missing something here?

Exactly my thoughts...