Slow Runner, Getting back at it Again.

Options

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    In my mind jogging is a more relaxed type of running. I would think the pace itself is more individual based on the person’s fitness level.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    With an overall crowd of 21726 I was in the 11% of finishers. In both overall male and my age of 50-54 bracket I was just above 14% of finishers. I did what I could and can’t say I’m disappointed. My goal for next year is to get in the 10% across the board. Maybe get a mile or 2 under the 8 min mark… I am now fairly confident that what the watch says is pretty close to true.

iw29s08gthaa.jpeg

1vbdvdj5rupc.jpeg
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @mrmota70
    Congratulations! What awesome times. I saw another post of yours with your photo. So very inspiring.
    Just curious...How long have you been running and what where typical mile times when you started?

I have no delusions about improvement, I know it will improve some, and I am ok being a slow runner. BUT this is so inspiring.

Happy Running, Birdie
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Honestly, as an adult --- the fastest mile time I've ran is like 9'30".

My long run is currently 8 miles and my pace for that is between 11-11:30 min mile.

I will be running a 5K at Bonnaroo (as long as they have it still), hopefully do a 10K with a friend in the Fall --- an I want to run a 1/2 in the Spring. I'm not going to focus too much on my pace though - I feel pretty accomplished with the duration/mileage of my runs more than anything. Maybe one day that'll shift and I'll have more pace-based goals but I just enjoy running. It's my version of meditation. Essential for my mental health.
  • mrmota70
    Options
    Honestly, as an adult --- the fastest mile time I've ran is like 9'30".

My long run is currently 8 miles and my pace for that is between 11-11:30 min mile.

I will be running a 5K at Bonnaroo (as long as they have it still), hopefully do a 10K with a friend in the Fall --- an I want to run a 1/2 in the Spring. I'm not going to focus too much on my pace though - I feel pretty accomplished with the duration/mileage of my runs more than anything. Maybe one day that'll shift and I'll have more pace-based goals but I just enjoy running. It's my version of meditation. Essential for my mental health.

Sounds like a solid plan. Stick to what works for you and if you’re enjoying yourself trying to get there. Depending on what the body is telling me I can do is all I’ll do. Slow down speed up and keep going another 5 mins mile etc.. the soreness is some of the enjoyment 🤣
  • mrmota70
    Options
    @mrmota70
    Congratulations! What awesome times. I saw another post of yours with your photo. So very inspiring.
    Just curious...How long have you been running and what where typical mile times when you started?

I have no delusions about improvement, I know it will improve some, and I am ok being a slow runner. BUT this is so inspiring.

Happy Running, Birdie

Thank you 🙏 1st off..

A bit of background.

I am 51 now.. I use to jog/run in my early to late 20s. I detoured after injuries, marriage, and plain old being a lazy *kitten*..

Landed in hospital on 12/19 for a week. In all likelihood I was an early recipient of the corona gift. I don’t usually claim to have had it, but all folks are certain I had it..

That said at that point I was no where near to be able to even walk a block without being winded. Got out of the hospital and within a few weeks dr cleared me to start exercise. I walked for a solid year pretty much daily and the last few weeks of 20 I thought I was light enough to introduce a few mins of jogging into the daily walks. Then in the last few days of 20 I jogged my first mile on a treadmill. It was between 11-12 mins.

In February of last year I finally went for a long treadmill jog.. 3 miles

msorrf32kykc.jpeg

10 days later I went up to a full 4 miles. Kept about same treadmill pace. I’ve found treadmills sometimes can give you better numbers.

rz60mghyaz57.jpeg

A true test of endurance and how fast I was actually going was what pushed me to finally go for an outside jog.

So 3 months of short to 4 mile treadmills jogs I finally hit the street for my first outside jog in 25+ years. I see the times below likely what the treadmills were closer to during the 1st 3 months of 21.

cbskbudw3nyc.jpeg

I’m pretty close to my comfortable pace these days. Could I improve a little more possibly, but I will not sabotage myself by over doing it. I fall back to walking when I can feel it the next day after a long or fast jog.

The 10k I ran last Sunday was a bit of both so all I did on Monday was to walk 3 miles(300 cals 🤣) on the treadmill. I walk a little faster these days.

ton7vzwj3t63.jpeg

nqgnd6amq3rx.jpeg

But hey I take it easy when I can. The day before the 10k I forced myself to do a 5k of 11+ min miles. Today after a 5 mile 10 min per mile jog I walked an additional 1.2 miles at 16+ mins pace. Unlike when I was in my 20s thinking I was invincible I pay attention to the pains and have no shame backing off if I feel I need to. Health and enjoyment first and foremost. The bonuses is that at my age I can out pace and out last people 20 years younger than me…

• fatty2begone
    Options

@mrmota70
    Thank You for the info. Very informative.

I am almost 54 and still have a good 30-40lbs to take off. I've recently been able to run 3 miles in slow mode, but my knees, shins, and heels are in good standing with no aches. I have only recently completed the c25k program and love running outside. My treadmill runs are faster times though. Haven't run steady for about 10 years so this is a new process for me. Progress is being made.
    I walk everyday anywhere from 1 mile to 3 to 4 miles a few times a week. Recently started some strength training because I most definitely have week glutes. Low upper body strength too.
    So I am a work in progress.

Thanks again for your response.
    Happy Running, Birdie
  • fatty2begone
    Options
    I have been running 2.75 to 3.5 miles 3 x weekly. The runs are not easy and it does not seem that they are getting any easier as I hoped. I am not pushing myself for improving speed, just trying to run them comfortable. The 1st mile is the hardest. I am happy to be able to run, but wonder when the "magic" mile will occur?

I am wondering if this is just a newbie runner working on endurance or if maybe I need a little more calories for fuel? (I am currently losing around 1 to 1.25 pounds a week so not aggressive weight loss). I currently weigh 183lbs so I still have another 35lbs weight loss goal. I have taken off 22 lbs so far.

I will be getting new running shoes very soon as I can tell the cushion and support is wearing. (Hole in top of shoes now too.. I must raise my big toe when I run as I have always worn a hole in every single pair I have had... Never the black toe though :D )

On the positive note, the weather has been getting better and there are many more days running outside then on the treadmill.

Happy Running
    Birdie
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    For me, I have found benefit in just trying to run longer, I used to have many runs where I thought I needed to stop but after those first 15 minutes or so it got easier and I could keep going.
    For me it was linked to my leg muscles not being strong enough (lactic acid in my calves). Walking a lot could help (increasing duration and speed and incline), it did for me anyway.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    WhenI ran, I talked to my husband many times about that “magic mile “. He said though it does get easier, the 1st mile is always the hardest even for him. He equates it to not being properly warmed up before starting. If he rides a bike or does the elliptical for 10 minutes first, then runs, it feels better, but that just isn’t always practical. Before a race he jogs a mile or so before hand to warm up. That first mile still sucks, but it sucks before the race.

He is a very competitive runner, his half marathon time is slower now than in his 20s, but he is still usually somewhere around 1:30 (he’s 49) and he has qualified and run the Boston Marathon multiple times.

Best of luck
  • fatty2begone
    Options
    @Lietchi & @pridesabtch Thank you for the replies. I do remember the 1st mile as always being the hardest. I think I will take one run a week and use the treadmill for incline and increased speed. (Maybe this will help the "easy" runs out side. (Easy???? I hope soonish)

On the last 1/2 mile of my run yesterday I had a pain in my inner thigh muscle. Today there is a pain when walking. I am going to take a couple days off and am hopeful not an injury but just a strained muscle.

Maybe I will try biking in place of running/walking for a couple days. (I have a leisure cross over bike used for fun rides, nothing fast or furious ;) ). I have been waiting to take it out as the 50 degree temps are just not warm enough. Our spring has been so slow to come.

Happy Running Birdie
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I know this is just a thing, maybe a thing just for me.... But I hate being referred to as a jogger and not a runner. I am a runner whether at speed slow or anothers speed fast. Some are just faster then I and maybe some slower. But we are all runners. And... in my eyes all are rockstars B)

AMEN :)

I run trails in Oregon in a state park near my house. If I had to be counted as a "runner" based on my mile time, I might not qualify. But it's semantics to me. I can run on soft trails that my knees and hips appreciate, but get great hill work in for some interval training. And then there is the unevenness of trails that works all of those micro-connectors that I get the benefits from. On my last slow run, two different groups of people cheered me on as I (slowly) ran past them. I'm a runner for sure :)
  • mrmota70
    Options
    I have been running 2.75 to 3.5 miles 3 x weekly. The runs are not easy and it does not seem that they are getting any easier as I hoped. I am not pushing myself for improving speed, just trying to run them comfortable. The 1st mile is the hardest. I am happy to be able to run, but wonder when the "magic" mile will occur?

I am wondering if this is just a newbie runner working on endurance or if maybe I need a little more calories for fuel? (I am currently losing around 1 to 1.25 pounds a week so not aggressive weight loss). I currently weigh 183lbs so I still have another 35lbs weight loss goal. I have taken off 22 lbs so far.

I will be getting new running shoes very soon as I can tell the cushion and support is wearing. (Hole in top of shoes now too.. I must raise my big toe when I run as I have always worn a hole in every single pair I have had... Never the black toe though :D )

On the positive note, the weather has been getting better and there are many more days running outside then on the treadmill.

Happy Running
    Birdie

I still do and enjoy outside jogs more, but the last few weeks I’ve been slower so actually have slowed my pace even more. Also I’ve moved several sessions to the tread. Been averaging on them between 11-12 min with 3-5 miles distances. One of the benefits of owning multiple shoes is on a tread I literally sweat into my shoes. I’m actually feeling really good right now and even though it’s windy and overcast I think I’m hitting the road. Shoes will be nice and dry by the end.. I hope. Not sure on distance maybe a 5k or will see what the body says… I’ll report back and add a little more the chat.
  • mrmota70
    Options
    I started jogging when I was about 50-almost 60 lbs heavier… I can push myself now a bit more than I did back then. Then again I was very cautious when I started jogging again. Hadn’t done a jog in 20+ years and was under belief I couldn’t ever run again… this is what I did to myself… I neglected myself….

ga81cj29s8td.jpeg

As you drop lbs things will get better, but will it be magical and you’ll enjoy and feel terrific in every jog? Hell no…. a good amount of your runs may not, but you’ll get the occasional high and less pains that you’ll be willing to deal with it. And remember walking is always available as a fall back. Just did a few walks last week and they definitely have been helping in getting me back to feeling better.

Ended up doing a 10k today. However I felt that I’d be stopping at 3 and then walk back home. Couldn’t let myself do it… Started off with a 9:20 mile however every subsequent mile got slower. Wind was most definitely a factor. I managed to keep the mile avg to 9:56 on the run as a whole. I was happy overall with it. That’s what you need to do…. Be satisfied that you’re out there trying no matter if it’s the fastest or slowest mile your doing on your jog.

I’m sticking with it and I wont let slower days be the ones that drive me. Todays run was with an additional 3 lbs in tow, but again a number of weight or time will not be what determines if I’m willing to keep at it.

Me these days… a work in progress..

d5n2lq3mh4f7.jpeg
  • fatty2begone
    Options
    @mrmota70 Thanks for posting... Very Inspiring!

I ran on the treadmill last night at a slightly faster speed then I run outside (1 minute faster). The mile was not easy, but yes I completed it. I was not sore after the workout and this morning very little soreness so I know I am getting fitter. At almost 54, it is just taking a little longer for improvement. (That and carrying the extra weight) The weight is slowly decreasing and my body is awakening to being healthy and fit again.

I plan to run outside today if weather permits and I am looking forward to the run. Whether it be magical or difficult. I can and will complete the task at hand.

Happy Running, Biride
  • mrmota70
    Options
    @mrmota70 Thanks for posting... Very Inspiring!

I ran on the treadmill last night at a slightly faster speed then I run outside (1 minute faster). The mile was not easy, but yes I completed it. I was not sore after the workout and this morning very little soreness so I know I am getting fitter. At almost 54, it is just taking a little longer for improvement. (That and carrying the extra weight) The weight is slowly decreasing and my body is awakening to being healthy and fit again.

I plan to run outside today if weather permits and I am looking forward to the run. Whether it be magical or difficult. I can and will complete the task at hand.

Happy Running, Biride

Well I added 1:33 to each mile today… Ended up mirroring Monday and went for a 10k Tuesday. I purposely slowed down. On yesterdays jog I avg’d 9:56 a mile todays was @11:29. I was only going to do 4 slow steady miles, but got curious about cal comparison so kept going… Yesterday was a 757 cal run and today was 755. The slower speed added 10 minutes extra to todays run, but it was totally worth it….

Nice long shower shortly and then get ready for some 🌮 Tuesday with an adult beverage of course…

• fatty2begone
    Options
    @girlwithcurls2
    I love your comment.

Used to have school age children in my neighborhood that would cheer me on and start running with me too. They have since moved, but always made to chuckle a little. Usually this was at the end of my run and was just the icing on the cake.
  • mrmota70
    Options
    Logged a faster 10k avg of 10:16 per mile on Wednesday’s outing. Sliced off over a min from Tuesday’s 10k. I thoroughly enjoyed the new route I actually scoped out after I dropped the kid off at school. Maybe another slow and steady outing today. By the way I think I actually hit one of those magical miles I mentioned. It wasn’t close to my fastest mile recently but the 3rd mile felt just so comfortable that it motivated me to pick up and maintain a higher pace against 13-16 mile head wind on the last and longest stretch of the run home.
  • mrmota70
    Options
    Did a slower 10k today. 10:39 avg. 4 days and 4 10ks.
  • mrmota70
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Finished my 10k week successfully last week. Mile Avg. for the week was roughly 10.31. Not world record shattering, but hey I'm not going to say on about 43.5 miles at that pace per day for an entire week is a bad thing personally. My fast day 10k avg was 9:56 per mile and the slow 10k for the week had an avg 11:29 per mile. I am actually shifting my focus to improving my cadence rather than just improving on speed. Speed will eventually come with a better cadence. Getting a longer run done at a cadence of 165-180 is my new goal and of course try to not injure myself is my #1 priority. During the week I went as low as 159, most days were between 163-165 and on the last 10k on Sunday I finished weeks high and likely PB of 170. I concentrated on it an amazingly it worked. You all be safe and enjoy your runs.