Help with diabetic meals

Options
cmasslow1952
cmasslow1952 Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2022 in Food and Nutrition
Have been with MyFitnessPal over 300 days & can't seem to stay faithful. Ups & downs & I am tired of it. I won't quit. I need direction now with diabetes. Sugar is 6.3. Want to get it down & in control. Help!

Replies

• Moijo2022
    Moijo2022 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I’m no expert but I do control my diabetes with my diet, I use the free recipes on diet doctor.com

Rule of thumb .. no root veg , a handful of berries a day if you want fruit. 1-200g portion of protein per meal with vegetables and no rice past bread or white potatoes.

Read your labels.. I found low fat labelled products usually have high sugars.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tested how your blood sugar reacts to the meals you eat? Thus testing the right amount of time after every meal and figure out that way what works for you? Are you working with a nutrionist?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, but my understanding is that people react differently to different things. My dad was diabetic and he more or less followed the diet and exercise advice on the American Diabetes Association website, but also certain things effected him more or less than others. For example, he didn't really have an issue with a small portion of red potatoes, but the same portion of russett potatoes spiked his sugar. He didn't have any problems with most fruits if eaten reasonably except for bananas, pineapple, and peaches so he mostly stuck to berries and apples. He checked his blood fairly often when figuring out what foods did what until he was comfortable with his dietary choices. He was also working with a nutritionist who specialized in diabetic care for a bit.