Oily fish 🐟

Options
Hi everyone ☺. I like a lot of others on here have tried to change my diet for the long term for weight loss, but also for good health. While trying out new healthy foods I have found I absolutely adore fish, all types but especially oily like mackerel. I know its packed full of omega 3 goodies and the like but I am a bit wary as everytime I stick it in my food diary it comes up with a warning about the fat content. I eat it very regularly, maybe 4 times a week and find it stops me wanting other fatty foods, so it is good to just carry on even though I might go over my fat for the day?
I am hoping the health benefits will outweigh the fat content. Please and thank you 🙏

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the fat content too much, especially from fish. For weight loss, calories are all that matter and many people have success with high-fat diets.

You might want to consider the mercury content of the fish you are eating, though, especially if you are having it 4 times a week. Some fish have a much higher amount of mercury contamination than others. Generally, bigger, predatory fish have high mercury...swordfish, certain tuna, etc.

Here's a chart from the FDA that lists fish and shellfish from least to most mercury:
    https://www.fda.gov/food/metals-and-your-food/mercury-levels-commercial-fish-and-shellfish-1990-2012

You mention mackerel, which is confusing on this chart because it depends where it was caught, apparently. That can be hard information to find out depending on where you buy your fish.

Most people don't really have to worry about a small amount of mercury unless you are a pregnant woman, but with the amount you are eating, it deserves some consideration. It made me switch from albacore canned tuna to light canned tuna. There's a big difference in the mercury.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Oily fish: nom! I'm having herring tonight with some kind of remoulade sauce (1 part low fat mayonnaise, 5 part skyr, onion and and pickled gherkins), and pan-fried starchy potatoes with bacon and onion. Extremely yum! Surprising amount of protein (for me), enough fat, and lots of yumminess.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    There are many things about MFP that are overly simplistic. When it warns you that it is high fat content it is not discerning between heart healthy mono and polyunsaturated fats and Omega 3s vs saturated fats and such. Also, there's nothing magical about MFP's default macros ratios...they're just the default. There isn't a universally optimal macro ratio...ideal macro ratios are very individual. Most people would do well to have more healthy fats in their diets from fatty fish, nuts, avocado, etc.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    You can turn off the comments that MFP gives you about your food diary in the settings.

I’ve found that they’re rarely helpful, anyways. There not a way to tailor them to your eating plan, so if you have a low carb plan, or are choosing a high-fat food on purpose, like your fish, they are detrimental. People who use MFP for maintenance or gaining weight find them less-than-helpful, too.
  • chocorange35
    chocorange35 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, reassured! I also have got into peanut butter 🥜 too recently, at least they are good fats 😄
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    This is my macro split, along with a pretty typical day fats-wise. My BMI is 21 and both my family doc & cardiologist are very happy with my lipid profile. I told those notifications to hush long ago lol.

3spycbda839i.jpg

yd5qhkriwiam.jpg
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Mackerel is pretty high in cals for fish but it's also nutrient dense. I would just enjoy it in reasonable portions. It's down the food chain and tastes great! Incidently, my 1 cup serving of boiled buckwheat groats I have everyday for breakfast instantly maxes out my polyunsaturated fat limits for the day in MFP but I never worry about it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    perryc05 wrote: »
    Mackerel is pretty high in cals for fish but it's also nutrient dense. I would just enjoy it in reasonable portions. It's down the food chain and tastes great! Incidently, my 1 cup serving of boiled buckwheat groats I have everyday for breakfast instantly maxes out my polyunsaturated fat limits for the day in MFP but I never worry about it.

Any unsaturated fat intake will result in a red number. Simply because there is no recommended intake determined by official health organisations, so MFP set it at zero. It would be better if they put 'n/a'.
    Also, MFP's goals are limits (saturated fat for example) or minimums (protein or example), depending on the nutrient: being 'in the red' isn't necessarily a bad thing.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Lol I turned that feature off since I like to go pretty high carb, and I got tired of MFP telling me to stay under 240 grams or whatever. Animal fats are some of the best fats you can eat, despite the whole plant based trend