Cupcake? Cake Recipe?

Options
Venusjems
Venusjems Posts: 88 Member
We have a st patty's day parade family gathering to go to, and i am assigned to make cupcakes.. Great. :sad: Does anyone know a less fattening recipe then the box kind??

I thought there was something like you use applesauce instead of sugar etc?? Can anyone help me?

Replies

• Venusjems
    Options
    We have a st patty's day parade family gathering to go to, and i am assigned to make cupcakes.. Great. :sad: Does anyone know a less fattening recipe then the box kind??

I thought there was something like you use applesauce instead of sugar etc?? Can anyone help me?
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I have had people tell me to add 1 can of diet pop to a dry cake mix. Just add the pop and stir and bake. They say it's yummy. If you dont add icing of any kind I think 1 cupcake is 90 calories. I have diet pineapple pop and a pineapple cake mix to try this . I plan to make it in a few days. Cindy
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    I got this recipe from here and tried it the other day...they were really yummy too

1 box devil's food cake
    1 sm can pumpkin

mix and bake

You can't even taste the pumpkin in them.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    make an angel food cake into cupcakes, or replace the eggs on a box cake with egg whites and the oil with prune puree...i've lways made em that way, and they're yummy!
  • nevertellen34
    Options
    I got this recipe from here and tried it the other day...they were really yummy too

1 box devil's food cake
    1 sm can pumpkin

mix and bake

I make this every week not sure the calorie content but its a godsend!
  • nevertellen34
    Options
    Oh btw cool whip fat free ,, for the icing add some coco...yum
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

1 box devil's food cake
    1 sm can pumpkin

mix and bake

I do these with any chocolate cake mix and spice cake (yum)!
    I think the calories under HG/Hungry Girl Yum-yum brownie muffins are similar....aren't they?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I have had people tell me to add 1 can of diet pop to a dry cake mix. Just add the pop and stir and bake. They say it's yummy. If you dont add icing of any kind I think 1 cupcake is 90 calories. I have diet pineapple pop and a pineapple cake mix to try this . I plan to make it in a few days. Cindy

yep, this works, I add an egg too though, I find without it the cake comes out kind of sticky instead of fluffy. You'd have to check the cal. count on the box though, not all would be 90 cals.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

yep, this works, I add an egg too though, I find without it the cake comes out kind of sticky instead of fluffy. You'd have to check the cal. count on the box though, not all would be 90 cals.

I LOVE this recipe... and teach it to my kids at school (their fav is white and cream soda).
    Kerri is right, watch the boxes.
    I add egg whites (enough to equal 1 egg) for fluff... the other way always went flat on me.
    I have made them as cupcakes too.
  • Venusjems
    Options
    cool thanks for the suggestions.. I guess i will try one of each, one with pumpkin and one with diet coke...
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    last weekend we had to make a birthday cake

we did the chocolate cake /pumpkin sheet cake---you can make cupcakes

we poked holes in the warm cake and spread warmed sugar free raspberry jam over it
    THEN LET IT COOL
    and spread fat free chocolate (you can also get fat free chocolate raspberry pudding I hear!) over it.

Just before ---top with ff cool whip--and SPLURGE on rainbow sprinkles--it doesn't take many too make a HAPPY CAKE

YUM YUM and get your veggie serving!

you could do this with cupcakes! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
    123504.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Make them this way and they probably won't ask you to make them again. Score!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    YUM!
  • txdyno14
    txdyno14 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

1 box devil's food cake
    1 sm can pumpkin

mix and bake

I do these with any chocolate cake mix and spice cake (yum)!
    I think the calories under HG/Hungry Girl Yum-yum brownie muffins are similar....aren't they?

Question about the pumpkin?!?! In the fall I cook up pumpkins and put it in the freezer for pumpkin bread and/or pumpkin pancakes. So has anybody used fresh pumpkin instead of canned!!
  • Venusjems
    Options

Exactly what my husband was thinking.... "Can you make a trial batch first that i can taste??" when i told him about these ideas...... It is his family function... he doesnt want to be embarrased!! so i figure i will make one batch diet coke, one batch pumpkin.. and if they taste like poop he can make the regular batch!!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    If you're giving them away, why are you worrying about if they are low calorie? If I make anything to give away, I make the best, most delicious things possible, so everyone remembers what a great cook/baker I am.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options

Exactly what my husband was thinking.... "Can you make a trial batch first that i can taste??" when i told him about these ideas...... It is his family function... he doesnt want to be embarrased!! so i figure i will make one batch diet coke, one batch pumpkin.. and if they taste like poop he can make the regular batch!!

I tend to think that if you're making dessert for other people, it's best to keep to the simple, expected product. Just make sure that it's the other people who eat most of it!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    If you're giving them away, why are you worrying about if they are low calorie? If I make anything to give away, I make the best, most delicious things possible, so everyone remembers what a great cook/baker I am.

I agree with you on this. Besides I'm not to worried if I eat one cupcake. This seems like a good opportunity to bake something totally delicious and not have to eat all of it. I love baking and bringing it to a party/gathering.
  • Venusjems
    Options
    well the point of this thread was to ask people's opinion's on how to make cupcakes or cakes more calorie friendly, not to tell me to give my family calorie filled cupcakes.. Since 3 of my children will be there.. Thanks to the people that gave me helpful ideas.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    keiko... I'm doing a whole lot of nothing today, so I'm going to go through the recipe box and see if I can find the Portside cheese spread recipe for you...