Calories Under Control and then Starving!

Options
ptidrow
ptidrow Posts: 3 Member
I’ve been really proud of staying within my daily calorie range each day for the last week, but then today, I was just hit with this starving feeling. I’m not craving anything in particular, just feel like I need to eat.

I’ve tried filling up on snacks like celery and peanut butter, nuts, cheese, etc. Stuff that would provide good protein and fats that I thought would keep me satiated.

Is this something I just need to prepare for happening every week?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    How fast are you trying to lose weight, and at what current weight? Sometimes an attempt to go fast is OK at first, but catches up to us.

Some women here report being extra hungry at certain points in their menstrual cycle, I think usually just before the flow starts. (I'm long since in menopause so obviously don't have experience with that.) One strategy people use for that is to go to maintenance calories for those couple of crave-y days each month, which slows weight loss only slightly.

Other possibilities that can trigger hunger/cravings: Sub-ideal sleep, certain types of exercise (which type can vary by person), high stress, or generally anything that may subtly increase fatigue. (Fatigue can trigger energy-seeking behaviors, and calories are energy.)
  • ptidrow
    ptidrow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 I’m currently only working on 1 lb loss per week. I don’t do much in terms of traditional exercise, but I farm and I did spend 2 hours working livestock yesterday, which can be a wrestling match. I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll see what tomorrow brings! Thanks for the feedback!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    ptidrow wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 I’m currently only working on 1 lb loss per week. I don’t do much in terms of traditional exercise, but I farm and I did spend 2 hours working livestock yesterday, which can be a wrestling match. I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll see what tomorrow brings! Thanks for the feedback!

Seems like a good bet. It can be OK to eat a bit more on a day when you're much more active, even if it's not gym-y type exercise.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    From my experience there is an extra element to hunger when it comes to calorie tracking. You aren’t following internal cues for hunger anymore, it’s largely external. There’s always a strange feeling (for me at least) when I have finished my calories for the day. Knowing I’m limited to X amount kind of amplifies the hunger to some extent. Probably some bro science, but that is how I feel sometimes
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    In addition to everything that Ann said, I would just like to add that you don't have to be exactly on point every single day. When I have a hungry day, I eat a bit more. On other days, I'll be under a bit. It evens out in the end. I've tried ignoring the hunger in the past and just found myself getting up in the middle of the night with a spoon in the peanut butter jar. The emotional impact of trying to be perfectly on target every day ended up being much more destructive for me. Play with it a bit and find what works for you.
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I stay consistent all the other days (not a struggle) but allow for one or two days a month where I might need a little more, and that's okay. I experience that normally during the first two days of my period I added on an extra 200cals to my daily allowance. I feel a little snacky, so I find something I actually like the taste of (dark chocolate, dried cranberries, little cheese cubes, walnuts, macadamias, chorizo) weighed and portioned. It's easier to go back on track without any guilt the next day because sometimes maybe your body just needs a little more.