Can too much water cause cramping when running??

Options
I started running about 7 months ago and have noticed that I get cramps under my ribcage often, about 1/2-1 mile into my run. I always slow to a brisk walk, raise my arm, and press on the cramp spot and it goes away after a minute or two. However, in the last few days I have noticed something interesting...

Friday, I did my usual 12 glasses of water during the day (between 9 and 5) and then at 6:30pm I had a 5k race. During the race I cramped a few times, off and on. Then yesterday, Sunday, I drank maybe 6 glasses of water all day and around 8pm went out for a 3 1/2 mile run with a friend. The whole run I never cramped once. It was probably the most enjoyable run of my life. So now I am wondering...

Can TOO MUCH water be causing my cramping?? Is that even possible??

I have read and heard that one reason for cramps can be that your body is lacking sodium... so if I'm drinking a lot of water and therefore flushing the sodium out of my system, might that be causing the cramps?

What's a happy median for water intake and running??

Replies

• SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Maybe its not too much water necessarily, but not balancing the sodium properly to go with the amount you are drinking?
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hmm... so how do you know what that balance should be? Just figure it out through trial and error? Or has someone somewhere figured this out for us? :tongue:
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me when I drank too much water too close to when I actually was going to run. I found that if I stayed hydrated and drank water at a slow steady pace during the day this wouldn't happen. Also, when the cramps come it helps to really control your breathing (long deep breaths) to get through them.
  • thefreemans28
    Options
    dreilingda - I, too, find that deep-breathing helps relieve them.

I would really like to just not have them, though. Lol. Any other thoughts?
  • Rioschica
    Rioschica Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It always makes me cramp up if I drink right before a run. Especially if the water is cold!
  • thefreemans28
    Options
    bump
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I had always heard it was a lack of potassium that made you cramp
  • mafery
    mafery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I get the same cramp and I too, hold the spot, pressing deep and turn my head and do deep breaths. Sometimes it goes away and sometimes, I have to walk because it is so painful. This happened during one of my half marathon races where I had to walk most of my last 3 miles and therefore, out went my goal of 1:50 :( (I finished in 1:59)

I do not drink enough water and thought this was to blame. I then read it was related to core strength, breathing and footfalls. heck, I don't know but I would like to know.

Anyone??
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Too much water can definitely lead to cramps as it dilutes the sodium and potassium levels in your body.