Cycling?

Options
I've started to cycle again after many, many, years, only go on traffic free routes, wouldn't risk the roads, its bad enough in a car:noway: :laugh: can anyone tell me if it uses up many calories, and is it a good general excercise? I don't go fast, just a nice pace, and the paths I go on are pretty flat, can't cycle too much on an incline as it tells on my poor old knees, but I'm enjoying it so it can't be a bad thing can it?

Replies

• Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Flat and easy paths won't burn lots of calories. However, increased cadence with hills will increase your heart rate and burn burn burn those calories away. Have you tried spin classes? They're wonderful and burns tons of calories. You can also adjust the intensity to your level and accommodate any injuries if needed.
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love to bike ride! I wear my HRM and also keep track of how many miles I ride. I usually bike between 14 to 20 miles on a mostly flat bike path and I burn a lot of calories, usually between 600-900 calories. Ride like the wind!
  • kiawya
    Options
    Great for you to start cycling again! Its a great feeling, I just started again a few weeks ago myself. YES, you will burn calories, as long as you are pedaling. flat roads are fine, as long as you are pedaling. When you are first starting, dont worry so much about the calorie burn, building endurance will make you ready for more challenging roads when your ready.
    GOOD FOR YOU!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    biking will burn calories if you do it for any sort of duration. wearing a quality HRM will give you the best indicator of how many calories you burn.
  • jogdog
    jogdog Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You still get a fairly nice burn. They sell really cheap bike computers that can keep track of speed, distance, time, etc. that can help you better log your exercise on here. I go for 40-60 min fairly often and I get a nice calorie burn. I really enjoy biking especially since it is kind to my knees!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I sent you a personal message, but great job getting on the bike, I love to ride, just can't get the kids to go with me.