Diet & no exercise?!?

Options
Can you lose weight by cutting calories and not doing any cardio? I am planning on walking (and pushing my 1yr old in a jogging stoller!). I will slowly work my way into running...but walk for awhile until I am used to that.

Replies

• travelprincess
    travelprincess Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Start at your own pace and what makes you comfortable. Just try to get in 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. It will get easier.
    Good Luck.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Walking DOES count as cardio, by the way... as long as you are going at a decent pace rather than just strolling leisurely along. :)
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    You can, but adding even 10 minutes of weight training can help you lose a greater proportion of fat compared to muscle. I strongly recommend a little strength training to avoid being "skinny fat"
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I like that term "skinny fat". It is a very apt description!
    And if you don't want to work out with actual weights yet, try push-ups, ab work and squats, modified as necessary, of course.
    I did "sissy" push-ups with no shame until I could do 3 sets of 20 easily and finally switched to regular ones, even though I can eek out a mere ten of those. Big difference in results!
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I hate working out, I just don't have the attention span to do things for more than 10 mins.a day.
    I have pedometer, and my "exercise" is just walking between 5000 and 10000 steps a day.
    Though my progress is slow, it's steady :)
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    For me, I am so stubborn that I have found I am far more successful if I change just one or two things at a time. So at the beginning I worked on ironing out my diet and didn't really do much exercise at all. Now I am working on adding daily exercise into my routine, but am still losing weight :).

Go at your own pace and as you build up more stamina, add in different things. Keep experimenting until you find something you love to do!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it is good to add exercise eventually (which is your plan so no worries).
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You can, but adding even 10 minutes of weight training can help you lose a greate proportion of fat compared to muscle. I strongly recommend a little strength training to avoid being "skinny fat"

This lady's right.

I've lost 30-40lbs both ways. Through strictly diet change, and through diet + cardio and weights. After 6 months of each, i was considerably weaker/ less muscular even though I weighed about the same (180ish). Also strength and bodyweight exercises (pushups, pullups) went down as well.

I'd suggest light-moderate weight routine to preserve some muscle, underneath that fat you'll look a lot better, feel and perform better if you do your best to keep it (the muscle).

I'm basically saying it's nice to be a skinner version of yourself, but but nicer to be skinny and still have strength/muscle. You wanna maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Can you lose weight by cutting calories and not doing any cardio? I am planning on walking (and pushing my 1yr old in a jogging stoller!). I will slowly work my way into running...but walk for awhile until I am used to that.
    I did lose my first 10 pounds by simply counting calores without much intensive workout.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I wanted to keep things simple, so I just walked the first few months and initially lost about 25lbs. I wanted to focus on diet and not get myself tired and hungry. Some people have been able to jump into the diet and hard workouts right away, but not me.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Good diet + exercise > Good diet + No exercise > Bad diet + Exercise
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I wanted to keep things simple, so I just walked the first few months and initially lost about 25lbs. I wanted to focus on diet and not get myself tired and hungry. Some people have been able to jump into the diet and hard workouts right away, but not me.
    not me either. That's exactly what I did: keep it simple.
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    YES YOU CAN and it's easy than some people think.

If you want some support or want to trade tips, please add me. I've lost 35lbs with diet and only doing a few free weights 3x per week.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 90% diet, 10% exercise.

You can run 10 miles a day but if your diet is not 100% in check you will go nowhere.