Great Value B Vitiman water additive

Options
So I tried the Great Value flavored water additive drops similar to mio infused with B vitimans and I immediately felt like a new person within about an hour. Skeptical I've been using each day this week still amazing. So what is it like I don't really want to be using this a lot but why did I perk up and why did it make me feel aweare, not lethargic and steady energy? Do I need to start taking B Vitimans daily? Is a daily vitamin not enough?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Doesn't that have caffeine?
    If you "perked up" within an hour, I'd say it's 100% the caffeine, not vitamins that did that.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    This is not how it works. Either placebo effect or caffeine. Also would like to add that just popping b vitamins is not a good idea for three reasons: quite a few people are deficient in vitamin b12. Even if absorption or conversion is limited it still shows up in blood tests, masking a proper deficiency, which might lead to nerve damage in the end. Also folate can reduce to size of enlarged red bloodcells (indicative of severe B12 deficiency), and hence taking yet another opportunity for diagnosis away. Finally, vitamin B6 is often present in far too high amounts. It's one of the few non-water soluble B vitamins, and it can pile up in your body. B6 is neurotoxic in too high amounts.
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    @Yirara Interesting. I didn't know that. I do take a daily B-complex, is that safe?
    It doesn't make feel like a new person though, unfortunately 😌
  • yirara
    Options
    Safe? mostly. Within the EU, the maximum allowed daily amount of vitamin B6 in supplements in 21-25mg. Those that had 100 or more vanished from shops. Last time I looked they still existed in the UK, but they're not EU anymore, so...
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    This is not how it works. Either placebo effect or caffeine. Also would like to add that just popping b vitamins is not a good idea for three reasons: quite a few people are deficient in vitamin b12. Even if absorption or conversion is limited it still shows up in blood tests, masking a proper deficiency, which might lead to nerve damage in the end. Also folate can reduce to size of enlarged red bloodcells (indicative of severe B12 deficiency), and hence taking yet another opportunity for diagnosis away. Finally, vitamin B6 is often present in far too high amounts. It's one of the few non-water soluble B vitamins, and it can pile up in your body. B6 is neurotoxic in too high amounts.

B vitamins are water soluble so any excess will be excreted.
  • yirara
    Options
    paints5555 wrote: »

No, you're right. But B6 is the only potentially dangerous one.
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    paints5555 wrote: »

No, you're right. But B6 is the only potentially dangerous one.

10% DV in the flavor I looked at. You would have to drink an awful lot all at once to make this a problem.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    So I tried the Great Value flavored water additive drops similar to mio infused with B vitimans and I immediately felt like a new person within about an hour. Skeptical I've been using each day this week still amazing. So what is it like I don't really want to be using this a lot but why did I perk up and why did it make me feel aweare, not lethargic and steady energy? Do I need to start taking B Vitimans daily? Is a daily vitamin not enough?

This?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Electrolyte-Liquid-Drink-Enhancer-Blue-Raspberry-1-62-Fl-Oz/21081293

If not, please post a link so we can know the ingredients of the product you used.
  • vapianogirl2553
    vapianogirl2553 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It has zero caffeine but it does have artificial colors that may be it actually
  • vapianogirl2553
    Options
    Great Value Focus Huckleberry Drink Enhancer https://g.co/kgs/kWF7HY
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Placebo effect. Or at best effect of hydration from drinking the water itself.

I have given B12 injections to people with actual B12 deficiency - they dont have an instant effect but improve symptoms over time.

I highly doubt the amount of oral vitamin B in the supplement is even enough to do that.

If you like it and it helps you drink more water with no added calories - great!

But that's all it does.
  • vapianogirl2553
    Options
    So I think it's they artificial dyes making me super hyper :) Watched my kid lose it after eating pink frosting the other day and put it together he gets super hyper anytime he eats artificial colors in things. I think I may get hyper from dyes too