150 pounds to lose.

Options
I am so overwhelmed with the thought of losing 150 pounds. I need to add some friends that will help to keep me motivated on this journey and to help keep me accountable.
Anyone that has this much to lose, how do you look at it to keep it from depressing you? I almost feel like I will never make it, that is way too much to lose. I need some encouragement on how to get this done!
Thanks
carri

Replies

• laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!! I was pretty much where you are starting out. Drink lots of water, set small goals and refuse to make ANY excuses. You CAN do this!!
  • nikkirosem
    nikkirosem Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's tough but it can be done. This is exactly where I am. Welcome friend. :)
  • trenakamille
    Options
    I am trying to loose around 120 pounds....I don't focus on the number, I stay motivated about the finish! I have seen some people on mfp that has 200 + pounds to loose, and some of them have already lost it. We can either be our biggest motivator or our biggest discourager....I always tell myself "I'm going to make it happen because trying is not an option for me". Set your goals and include a reward for each goal....Hope this help!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Do not look at it like that! You'll drive yourself nuts!
    Set mini goals of 10, 15 20 lbs. break it up!
    When I look at my loss, sometimes I think omg I STILL have 40 to lose, but you CAN'T do that to yourself.

Just take it step by step! Day by day.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Don't look at the full picture - it will be overwhelming and may push you to give up.

What I mean is -- instead of focusing on the full 150lbs you have to lose, focus on the first 10lbs. Then after you achieve that goal - focus on the next 10lbs and so on. Setting smaller, more obtainable goals will keep you on track. If you try and focus on that total number - you will get discouraged.

Good Luck to you. You CAN do it. There are a lot of people on this site who are proof that weight CAN be lost and CAN be kept off!
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Carrie. :) I don't have quite as much to lose as you, but I did start off with more than 100, and I felt the same way you did--how in the WORLD can I ever lose that much?! But I decided that I didn't have to lose 100+ lbs, I just had to lose 1. And then another 1. Etc. And is truly the way to look at it. I don't have to know how to get all the way down to my goal weight right now. I just have to live through this day, this next meal, this hour right now, eating right.

The food diary is a HUGE help. You don't have to totally micromanage yourself, but it does help you keep in mind to eat your meals, make them well rounded, keep them made up of healthy foods.

So set yourself some mini goals--10 lbs off, 1/10th of the way to your goal (that'd be 15 lbs), etc. And celebrate each goal with a "yea, me!" party! :smile:

Make this about changing your lifestyle, not about "depriving" yourself of goodies for awhile. Set those goals, decide to make it through today on course, and worry about the rest of the days after this one is through. You can do anything, one day, one meal, at a time.

Good luck!
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me...I'm losing 150 too!
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i don't have as much to lose as you so i can't imagine how it must feel but i think a good strategy is to set mini goals for yourself and celebrate EVERY accomplishment along the way, no matter how small
    i would just focus on the first 5 pounds and once you get your eating and your exercising working for you the time will just go by and the next thing you know you'll accomplish that goal and move onto the next!
    feel free to add me as a friend for motivation!
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well :) I have over 100 to lose.
  • msmonique0919
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, but I do not focus on the number because that can be VERY OVERWHELMING! Focus on each day and each mini-goal and you will make it.
  • sheneverfails
    Options
    Hi & welcome!

I started out with 175 to lose, and I've since lost 15#.

It's still a long way to go, but I know that I can do it and I want to do it. It's a struggle, but living with this weight is something I just can't do anymore. So it's onward and downward to my goal weight!

Feel free to add, I love to provide support and share tips and suggestions!
  • ThaRachel
    Options
    maybe set your goal smaller for now.. say for 20 lbs.. and once your reach that you can go a little higher like 50.. and so on.. that way its not quite so overwhelming.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Although I don't have 150 to lose, looking at 50-60 is equally daunting. Baby Steps....it's the only way. Celebrate every 5 or 10 and then tackle the next 5 or 10. It's not as intimidating that way. Besides, once you start losing weight you'll want it to continue. This site is amazing!! Tons of support, you just have to ask for it. Friend the people that respond to your post. We'll keep each other on track!
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I know how you feel. I had over 100lbs to loose when I first started just a few months ago. I'm already 1/3 ish of the way there. I didn't think it was possible, but it really can happen!!! It's not so much about the pounds, but about the changes in lifestyle. I have had to learn how to eat again. Also, I have learned what it means to exercise.
    Good luck to you, and please add me as a friend!
    Laura

I just wanted to add that after only a few months on this site, I do not feel like I'm dieting anymore. It seems crazy, but it's true! After re-learning how to eat, I know which foods to go for, and how to cook them in a healthy way. I look forward to my workouts because they feel so good. I turn my nose up to sodas and candy bars because they just don't taste good anymore. I'm living my "new life" without feeling like I'm struggling, and the weight is slowly melting off.
    I have pretty much replaced Facebook with MFP. It keeps me on the right track!
  • sdwelk11
    Options
    I am so overwhelmed with the thought of losing 150 pounds. I need to add some friends that will help to keep me motivated on this journey and to help keep me accountable.
    Anyone that has this much to lose, how do you look at it to keep it from depressing you? I almost feel like I will never make it, that is way too much to lose. I need some encouragement on how to get this done!
    Thanks
    carri

Welcome Carri!
    I am right there with you so feel free to add me as a friend! I just keep my mind set to what good I am doing for my body! I eat 4 times a day at 400 calories a meal 4 hours apart. I have fallen off the wagon many times but pick myself up and push on! I drink mainly water and know that some people hate water like I used to but now its really all I drink except the occasional glass of iced tea (unsweetened). I am starting to exercise as of tomorrow but you have to ease into this. Don't try and do too much at one time or else you will burn yourself out. Stay focused and remember we are all in the same boat no matter how much we have to lose
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Yep, yep,yep there are a lot of us here. You can add me if you would like
  • madisonhale
    Options
    I totally understand. Last yearish I lost 30 pounds, got off the wagon, and am now back on with over 100 pounds to lose. I get frustrated that I'm not losing weight more quickly, overwhelmed by all the work I still have yet to do, and just sad about all aspects of the situation. But here is how I cope:

1.) Work out. Yes, it speeds up losing weight, but the biggest benefit for me from exercise is how it changes my mood. The endorphin boost helps SO MUCH.

2.) Set smaller goals. Right now I'm focusing on getting to 240, and it makes everything seem more attainable.

3.) Don't freak out if you mess up. Everyone messes up and it's okay.
  • candicemaechling
    candicemaechling Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I'm on 110 of about 159+ to go it seems like a lot but if u look at it like that forever its hard to start just break it down into smaller accomplishments doesn't have to be number based things like fitting in restraint booth comfortable walking a mile without being sore keeping around your calorie goal for a month u can do this!
  • PandaofDestruction
    Options
    I have over 150 lbs to lose and I keep myself motivated because I am already a beautiful person and accept myself- the weight loss would just boost my health and I would be even more outwardly attractive LOL- but the health benefits themselves keep me motivated, I will add you and I promise to motivate you!
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Even though I have to lose 50 lbs. it feels like 500 because I've never been successful with keeping off the weight. I've tried many different plans and they've never worked but I think we have a much better chance of being successful if we use this program and this forum.