I feel so out of control

Options
TheGoblinRoad
TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
I feel like Sisyphus, pushing the rock up the hill, only to slide back down, and looking down to see that the reason I slide down is me. Under my feet are the broken promises to myself, the self-doubt, the self-sabotage.

I haven't had more than a few consistent days in such a long time, that it's feeling pretty hopeless now.

I wish I could say that realizing this is enough, but I've realized it again and again over the years. It's not enough to know. it's not enough to realize. I try to celebrate my small successes, but my failures add up to more than the successes. So I slip further down, I gain more and more despite my sporadic commitment.

I've learned so much over the years from MFP, from Noom, from many sources to the point where I could explain all the things we could do that would benefit us. Despite all that, I still sabotage, I still struggle, I still crave.

I even look deeply into the why, and I see my triggers, I see why I do what I do, why I choose what I do, knowing what I should rather do. But in the moment, my brain won't cooperate.

Sorry.

I don't mean to be a downer.

Can someone (or more than one) share about feeling similar to this and HOW they were to overcome it?

Replies

• jenna_lowcarb_newbie
    jenna_lowcarb_newbie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really feel you - I keep going up and down in weight and keep disappointing myself over and over again... The only thing we can do is to get up and try and keep pushing. I'm really trying to look at this from a different angle - as in - every right choice I made is still progress from the alternative and punish myself less. But it is hard.
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if you can block those influences out and come up with your own narrative that is very specific to you as a person of why and how you want to live a healthy lifestyle it will help.

This is profound and really hits where I am living today. I think if we can all apply this concept to our lives and the choices we make - wow. Probably not as easy as it sounds but I will be working on this narrative today!!

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    @TheGoblinRoad I am sorry to hear that you are struggling!

I have struggled with my own weight on and off for many years, mostly because I thought of it for a long time as a purely physical issue, rather than a mental one. We really do have to be in a good place mentally to be successful at becoming healthier and fitter long term.

I binge eat - a couple of weeks ago, I was at my highest weight ever; despite previously being rather fit and healthy despite my weight, I have noticed more and more health issues over the last 6 months - plantar fasciitis, neck pain & acid reflux which disturbs my sleep. This has given me the kick up the a5s that I needed to get back in charge of myself.

I've contemplated an ED therapist a couple of times but my finances won't stretch that far since I changed jobs (which is good for my mental health but not so much my bank balance :smile:) so when it starts happening more frequently than I'd like, I work through a self-help program which has really helped in the past. If you're able to afford or can be referred through your health service/insurance for some form of therapy it's a really good idea to give it a try.

I have in recent years tried to become a lot kinder to myself and I try to acknowledge what my body can do, rather than what it can't and I try to have a more forgiving approach to perceived failures. Some good habits I have picked up along the way include a gratitude journal - nothing fancy just a plain notebook in which I jot down most days 1 thing, 1 person and something about myself that I am grateful for. It doesn't sound like much, but it makes me look for positive things, even on my worst days.

Have you considered just taking some babysteps for a little while?
    • setting your account to Maintenance, committing just to logging all of you meals for a couple of days.
    • then for a week.
    • then looking at small changes you can make to eat a little healthier.
    • then a small rate of loss

I was recently reading Atomic Habits by James Clear and it features the below diagram which I think somes up so many people's approach to health and weight loss, so many of us get stuck in the "Valley of Disappointment" before we make it out the other side:

gacfdj4zxsnh.png

Be kind to yourself and I hope you find a way out of your rut!