Getting to your "free" weight?

Options
This topic came up in a Bible Study I did a couple years ago. I can't seem to get it off my mind, and wonder if I could do this. I will explain. Your "free" weight may not be your lightest on the scale or your most fit weight. And it is not the same for everyone. But it is a weight or a size in which you are "free" to live your life and enjoy your life but not be "imprisoned" or completely consumed with thinking about every calorie. When you are "free" of these worries, you are able to live your life more fully and focus on other things outside of yourself. One women spoke of her "free" weight as being a size 10, she had been a size 4 but at that size she felt that her weight and what she should and should not eat was taking to much of her focus. And she had been a size 14 and that was not her "free" weight because she wasn't putting enough thought into her diet. And she wasn't happy at that size. So her "free" weight, was a size 10. A size where she worked out, made wise choices but had some room to enjoy herself also. Just wondering what you think of this. I often think about this and if it applies to me. Thanks.

Replies

• Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    This topic came up in a Bible Study I did a couple years ago. I can't seem to get it off my mind, and wonder if I could do this. I will explain. Your "free" weight may not be your lightest on the scale or your most fit weight. And it is not the same for everyone. But it is a weight or a size in which you are "free" to live your life and enjoy your life but not be "imprisoned" or completely consumed with thinking about every calorie. When you are "free" of these worries, you are able to live your life more fully and focus on other things outside of yourself. One women spoke of her "free" weight as being a size 10, she had been a size 4 but at that size she felt that her weight and what she should and should not eat was taking to much of her focus. And she had been a size 14 and that was not her "free" weight because she wasn't putting enough thought into her diet. And she wasn't happy at that size. So her "free" weight, was a size 10. A size where she worked out, made wise choices but had some room to enjoy herself also. Just wondering what you think of this. I often think about this and if it applies to me. Thanks.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    very interesting. i guess that would go along with being at a healthy weight. as in no matter what the scale says if your healthy and you have a good BMI, than what difference does the 5-10-15 pounds on the scale mean.
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I fully agree. The happiest I've been with my body wasn't when I was a size 10 (British), obsessing over calories, wrapped up in anorexia and bulima, but when I was a size 12-14 and healthy
  • Erin31
    Erin31 Posts: 4
    Options
    I was just reading a great book last night called Lies women believe and the Truth that sets them free (or something like that). Something it said has stuck with me today, similar to what you have just shared..... (this is my paraphrase) we put way too much thought & energy into ourselves when there is much to be done & shared with others. And when I am counting calories and fitting in workouts around my three boys, I am definitely all about self. I don't like this feeling so much but I so badly want to reach my goal!! So I really like this concept of "free" weight! Can I really reach a point of contentment with my weight and fitness to put much more effort and attention onto other things outside myself? Thank you for this great new concept to ponder !!:flowerforyou:
  • mommybirdie
    Options
    I think that this is a good concept because we need to be happy with the body God gave us. However, we also need to not be lazy (I am not saying that anyone here is!) and say, "Well, I am happy here." I have been guilty of that. I have also been guilty of allowing the busy lifestyle with three children to interfere with healthy choices. Such a hard balance between finding the time and energy to take care of ourselves and taking care of our families. Good luck to you all on finding your "free" weight.
  • kristineh86
    kristineh86 Posts: 134
    Options
    Wow! I really like this post. Thank you!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I would think a comfy 6/8
    I lost 30 pounds from January to May of last year and am now a size 4/6
    I feel like it may be hard to maintain and sort of wish I didn't loose as much
    Once I hit my goal, I increased cals but my body continues to loose

Kim
  • fullofjoy720
    Options
    this makes me feel alot better! I am maybe 10 pounds over what i "should" be. But i feel comfortable right now and i'm a size 4/6. I
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic. I think part of being in the "free" weight is that you can easily maintain it.
    You know how much to work out and eat. You have a good sense of portion size. What foods to eat regularly. What foods to use as special occasion foods.

I sometimes see people spend hours in the gym to get to the weight they want. But they can't keep up those hours indefinately and then when they cut back they gain again. I thought there was an article from Jillian Michaels that said how much time to spend per day and per week working out. It seemed like a reasonable amount. But I can't remember what it said. I know that I was working out about that much so I did not pay closer attention.

On a side note. The study Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss is a wonderful study. I've gone through it twice and learned from it both times. I'd highly recommend it, especially if it's done as a group study. There is a lot to discuss.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I agree with Keiko. Sometimes I felt trying to make the right choices consumes too much of my time and energy. I looking for a weight I can easily maintain w/o terrorizing those around me.
    Great Post.:flowerforyou:
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I posted this because I was wondering if this applied to myself.
    I have been wanting to lose 6 lbs-I am not over weight and I am making healthy choices. This is just a vanity thing for me. So maybe this is my "free weight"?? I don't know if I want it too be but maybe God does? Maybe he wants me to stop thinking about it so much and put more time and effort into greater things. I am still thinking about it......
  • mmackie
    mmackie Posts: 93
    Options
    This is an interesting post for me. I have been struggling since around the new year with trying to lose weight. I was obsessing over calories and everything I put into my body made me feel guilty. I did not lose a pound. About 2 weeks ago I had a breakdown because I was just tired of thinking about calories all the time.

In the last two weeks I have lost 6 pounds.

I basically told myself that I had to stop obsessing, watch what I ate and workout. And I'm happier and I finally started losing weight! Not sure if it was my mentality that helped change or just my body finally working...Just a thought and thanks for the post. I feel very encouraged right now!:happy:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! I think I actually chose my 'free weight' as my goal weight right from the start. Being 140-145 for someone who is large boned, but only 5'3 sounds doable for me. I don't WANT to be 120lbs. I don't even want to be 130lbs. It sounds like constant work. I just want to be healthy. I also know that I carry weight in relatively healthy areas - my chest (boobies) and my rear. So having a little extra in those spots won't negatively affect me, which makes me more comfortable with a heavier weight.

Very good post! Certainly gives you something to think about. :drinker:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    My free weight is where I am now, a size 8/10 depending on brand. I have been both bigger and smaller but this is where I seem to be able to maintain and not feel consumed by food. Sure I would love to be smaller, but due to exercising consistently I am no longer held in bondage by the number on the scale. I am muscular and although the charts and tools say I should weigh 25-30 pounds less than I do I know that I am in better shape than I have ever been.