Keep Coming in UNDER calorie goal..

Options
Please help me understand. My min calorie goal for the day is 1200 and max is 1500. I usually exercise burning no less than 400 and no more than 520 five days a week. When I do this, this increasing my calories I can consume per day substantially. Am I supposed to eat that amount since I exercised or does that give me a calorie deficit. If I eat anymore than I am already eating, I will literally eat 24-7. I suppose I just need to know if/when I exercise and it gives me more calories to consume, will this bring me under my goal and should I be using up all those extra calories?

Replies

• LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    if you're losing weight and your hunger is in check, don't worry about these darn goals. Work to stay under your goal. You do not need to eat back your exercise calories unless you are hungry! :)
  • scaponigro
    scaponigro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If anything without being able to look more closely I would add some healthy fats in there, i.e. avocado, almonds, olive oil.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Best replies I have heard!
  • carioquinha
    Options
    You don't have to eat any more than the 1200 calories. You need to eat at least that many so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode, but your exercise calories are like an added bonus. You can eat more if you want, but if you don't than you will lose weight faster. I try to eat only 1200 calories and then if I burn 500 on top of that I don't eat anymore, I just lose 500 more calories that day-and that is GREAT!!
  • katinka13
    Options
    if you're losing weight and your hunger is in check, don't worry about these darn goals. Work to stay under your goal. You do not need to eat back your exercise calories unless you are hungry! :)

exactly!
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The goals are based on what you enter, and the questions that you have to answe are so NOT cut and dry so just remember the goals are just guidlines too. In my opinion, unless you are coming in rediculously low it is better to finish under than over!!
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thi thread has been great, after another thread of people not getting you can't always eat back calories if you do a substantial amount of execise and are not hungry!! Best replies I've seen in any thread!!!!!!!! :) x
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

i agree!!! :)
  • FitasBarbie
    FitasBarbie Posts: 141 Member
    Options

^ This
  • kowskey
    kowskey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calorie burn? It's really easy to underestimate. I ask because if you're burning that many calories, you should definitely be hungrier than usual. On the days when I run far enough to burn 500 calories, I am normally ready to eat a horse later in the day. You've got to fuel your body!
  • alwayzevolving
    alwayzevolving Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is actually what I was thinking! Thank you so much.
  • alwayzevolving
    Options
    I do both cardio and strength training (w/ a personal trainer) For the cardio the burn is measured by the actual machine. I run three miles and do the ellipitical for thirty minutes, so it is quite easy to estimate the amount of calories I burn. When I do strength training for an hour twice a week, my trainer as estimated no less than 400. I am not saying I am not hungrier but I drink a lot of water to ensure I am not overeating. I eat balanced meals throughout my day and I snack between opting for healthier snacks. I NEVER get full by I make sure I am satisfied. As long as I am eating above 1200, I know I am fine. It says I am below because I have burned so many calories. So I understand it now.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Just to emphasise though - if you are hungry, do eat. You can eat your exercise calories if you need them. Do bear in mind, if you're using the mfp estimates that they tend to be rather generous. Machine estimates are also a bit uncertain - some overestimate, some underestimate. With this in mind, I'd approach those calories with caution.

I eat into my exercise calories quite frequently. But if mfp say I've burned 1000, I'll eat maybe 200 or so (this isn't planned - it is very much based on the 'am I hungry' principle).

Learn to listen to your body, and you will likely be ok.
  • alwayzevolving
    Options
    Just to emphasise though - if you are hungry, do eat. You can eat your exercise calories if you need them. Do bear in mind, if you're using the mfp estimates that they tend to be rather generous. Machine estimates are also a bit uncertain - some overestimate, some underestimate. With this in mind, I'd approach those calories with caution.

I eat into my exercise calories quite frequently. But if mfp say I've burned 1000, I'll eat maybe 200 or so (this isn't planned - it is very much based on the 'am I hungry' principle).

I do eat when I am hungry. I just don't overeat or emotional eat anymore. I will only use those calories when I need to. Otherwise, they will stay in reserve.
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options

This :)

11064913.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter