Has anyone tried curves?

Options
Has anyone tried curves? And what do you think?

Replies

• Bugsyzgrl
    Bugsyzgrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Years and Years ago, when they first became popular. I didn't lose a lot of weight at that time, but I wasn't totally committed. (i.e.- I didn't change my diet) It was ok, but I need the peer pressure, if you will, of a group class. I need some staring at me to get me motivated...lol
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Curves...yeah.....I don't like. Not my kind of a workout.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I had a membership years ago. I liked it. After my contract was up I ended up canceling because I just didn't want to go. Now things are different. I am dead set on losing weight, getting fit and being healthy. I would join again if I could afford it.
  • MrsVagus
    Options
    I hated it, but I found jazzercise soon after and am still LOVING it after 5 years now!
  • noisykitty
    Options
    not much of a work out.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    i tried it years ago.. I didn't really like it but i'm the type of person that benefits from having a personal trainer telling me each step of the way what to do, not that I can afford that lol
  • Fockertots
    Options
    I LOVED Curves when I went there. I, as well, didn't change my diet while I was doing it so I didn't get the results that I should have. I loved the atmopshere, but it was a little pricey as I was a college student at the time.
  • kernowprincess
    kernowprincess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I used Curves three time a week. Love it, love the fact it's women only, love the support. Can't be nice enough about them, I've been going about 6 weeks now. Between Curves and eating 1,200 calories and eating back my exercise calories i've lost just over 10lbs. Not a massive loss but a sustainable one which is what we all want.

The best thing is that if you need remotivating on the equipment they come round with you as part of the membership, no hidden fees.
  • ludugirl
    ludugirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few years ago and it killed my knees and back, though I don't know why. I didn't have the same problem when I worked out much harder with a trainer at 24 Hour Fitness (which I loved, but just couldn't afford to keep doing!!). However, there are several women here in my office that go regularly and they love it. You can probably get a free week pass to try it out and see if it's something you can commit to.
  • tamalea
    tamalea Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I went today. I like it, however you only get out what you put in. If you talk and barely work the machines, or only march in place on the platforms, you are not going to feel like you got that good of a workout. I love that it's women only and I can go everday on my lunchtime.

The only drawback for me is the lame music.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yes... it works at first, but after a while it really does nothing for you because you can't increase the resistance only the repetitions. Eventually, your body just needs more to keep burning.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think you would be better off joining a regular gym. From what I understand, most people get bored at Curves.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi

I go to curves 3 times a week. It is good but I found it not enough on its own. The nature of curves is 3x a week, if you go more the curvesmart computers put you on an alternative workout and don't work you as hard. I was burning about 280-300 cals but since I joined mfp and finished 30 ds and started turbofire I found I am much stronger and now burn about 480 cals for the 30 min workout. The machines work on hydrolics to provide resistance training and will increase or decrease you workout based on your last workout. Curvesmart tells you how much you burned, what you improved on and where you need help after every workout. They will also weigh and measure you each month and check your bp.

martyxxx
  • PandaofDestruction
    Options
    Curves is not that awesome...I worked really hard to not lose really any weight or inches. I don't feel like the workouts challenged me enough and I was even more out of shape then, than I am now. I wouldn't waste the money, maybe a personal trainer would be a better use of the funds.
  • mamaAng
    Options
    I have done curves several times over the years. The bigest problem for me was the hours our curves was open were bizarre, a couple hours early morning, then maybe 2 at lunchtime, and 3 in the evening. The workout is as difficult or as slow paced as you need it to be, and the circuit style training is easier than straight cardio. I know that most franchises now have the new machines that actually save your prsonal settings and track your progress. It is very affordable and you can go as often as you like. Nice to just have ladies in the room, very encouraging atmosphere and non judgemental. Ages run from 20's to 80's. It is like any form of excercising though. The question to ask is "are you ready to commit?" Best of luck to you. Sending wishes for determination your way.
  • garrarda
    garrarda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Curves and loved it for the first year. It was a great way to get 30 minutes of exercise in. They also would have 6 week group diet classes that I like, but at an additional fee. I left because 1. their fees were more than a full gym membership, 2. I got bored as it's the same thing every day. I think its a great place to go to begin an exercise regime, but down the road you may want to ramp it up.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    Now that I read the other responses, I might not rejoin. I do get bored easily. I do like having the freedom to do whatever I want at home. I workout to DVDs. I have an elliptical and the Wii.
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I did it years ago, hurt my back, never went back, never received a call checking on me....

I didn't care for it. But like I said, it was about 7-8 years ago. I think the individuals operating and working out at the gym make the difference!
  • starrstarr007
    Options
    I went years back when I was about 27 year old. At my location I was the youngest memeber by about 20 years, which was fine, for awhile, but then after the 50th - what is such a young thing doing here comment - it started to get annoying. I did lose some weight, but it really took time and I agree with what was said above - there really isn't a way to step it up. Also the music is terrible, but if you listen to your own music you can't hear the signal to move to the new station. If you can go try it out, that would be great, but I would think long and hard before committing myself to a membership. Personally I like working out at home - it is always there - I can't drive past my house and say I will stop tomorrow. I have been doing turbo jam and love it!
  • littlepint
    Options
    I did go to curves and found it very helpful. I had to stop due to an injury. I would go 5x wk and found great results. Should give it a try.