Carbs

Options
I got sucked into the keto fad diet. It definitely works but is not a long-term option for me. Have any of you lost weight while consuming carbs and following the app's macros and daily calorie recommendations?

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    Well, if your welcome post gets noticed, yeah, you’ll be inundated with people who have done this successfully.

I lost quite a bit myself, and I wasn’t even mindful about macros til I reached Goal. It’s all about calories in vs calories out, the great CICO.

Some people swear by Keto, but I’d rather have the freedom to eat what I want- just less of it.

If you’ll check the Success Stories threads, you’ll find plenty of posts by successful losers who still ate carbs.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds and never went a single day without carbs. I've never paid much attention to macros at all, other than remembering to include some protein in my smaller meals, so I don't know anything about how the apps macros shake out. Calorie recommendations were on target the whole way. I never could figure out a reason why MFP would lie about reasonable calorie levels, so I followed their recommendations and never had much of a problem getting to my goal.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75lbs while eating carbs, around 45% of my calories on average (since I ate 1700kcal or more, that's at least 190gr of carbs a day, often more).

I don't really follow the macro split MFP gives me in the sense that I aim for at least 100gr protein, and I let the rest fall as it may (I'm mindful of a minimum fat intake as well, for hormone health, but I've never been low, so I don't check that very often).
  • shockbishop
    shockbishop Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I used to do the ketosis thing before it was a fad. I had those keto stix and ate whatever as long as it wasn't carb full. I've tried paleo, fasting, pills, whatever....but tracking it is the way to go. It's simple calorie counting. I used to keep spreadsheets back 20 years ago before apps.......to the day I know how many calories a banana, slice of pizza, tbspn of mayo etc. has in my head.

What I can tell you is this: If you have the time to track everything that goes in your mouth and the discipline to keep a slight deficit in calories you will lose weight. It doesn't matter if it's all protein, fat or pizza, it's simple human biology. You burn more calories than you take in, you lose weight.

The trick is the the body is very smart. If you short it too many calories, it will think your a caveperson in a survival scenario and store fat like crazy. Take it slow, keep a slight deficit, it will happen. You will mess up at times and splurge, it's the awareness imo that makes the difference.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    Innal52883 wrote: »
    I got sucked into the keto fad diet. It definitely works but is not a long-term option for me. Have any of you lost weight while consuming carbs and following the app's macros and daily calorie recommendations?

I don't pay attention to carbs (only protein and fats are essential nutrients, technically speaking). Looking back at my diaries, during weight loss I was eating 125g-150g of carbs most days, and losing weight just fine. Just counting calories, I lost 50+ pounds in a bit less than a year, obese to healthy weight, and have been maintaining a healthy weight for 6+ years since, now eating 225g+ of carbs most days.

I did have to adjust my calorie intake, once I got enough experience-based data to do that - most successful people here recommend thinking of the MFP estimate as a starting point. Follow it for 4-6 weeks, then see how loss compares to target rate, adjust if necessary. (For adult women not in menopause, it's best to compare bodyweight at the same relative point in at least two different menstrual cycles.)

MFP's calorie estimate will be close for most people, because it's essentially giving you the average for people similar to you, and most people are close to average. A few people can be little higher or low, and a rare few are surprisingly higher or lower than the estimate. (I lost too fast at the calories MFP recommended, to an unusual extent. That's rare.)

Like some others, I prefer to keep my protein level on the high side, but my carb intake falls close to MFP's recommended percentage. Carbs are not the devil, no matter what the trendy marketing in the blogosphere may be saying these days. Obviously, some people with certain health conditions - such as diabetes - do have to manage their carb intake. For those of us without relevant health conditions, it's more about paying attention to how carbs affect our appetite and energy level (if they do) and adjusting as necessary.
  • Clendenen49
    Clendenen49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Carbs are the bomb. As others have said. It's all about the calories in and calories out. Hit that golden 120-180g protein per day. And for the rest do what you want. I'd recommend 1 serving of a nut per day as well. Take a look at my dairy I just came back to MFP recently I'm on 2200 cal per day and losing quickly on 200+ carbs per day. Energy is never a problem.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Carbs are the bomb. As others have said. It's all about the calories in and calories out. Hit that golden 120-180g protein per day. And for the rest do what you want. I'd recommend 1 serving of a nut per day as well. Take a look at my dairy I just came back to MFP recently I'm on 2200 cal per day and losing quickly on 200+ carbs per day. Energy is never a problem.

How did you determine OP needs that protein range? Particularly with no information about this person.

OP, like Ann and others have said, I focus on protein and fats, carbs fall where they may with the leftover calories. There are some fabulous threads with recommendations on setting up your macros based on your specific information. I highly recommend reading through the most helpful threads at the top of the getting started and general boards.
  • ChefMader
    ChefMader Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents. I keep track of my calories on MFP for many years - most the time not really "dieting" per se, but just to maintain "awareness" of where I'm at and what I'm doing. I've steadily and slowly gained weight. So people saying just follow the calorie recommendations, I would say:: This DOES NOT work for all people unfortunately.

If you have insulin resistance, a metabolic disorder, have PCOS, are impaired/disabled and unable to be active, are peri-menopausal or menopausal, are diabetic, have no gallbladder or other major organ issue.... (just to name a few) the calorie suggestions DO NOT WORK.

What works is trial and error for your body and what your body responds to. What worked for me in my 20's is NOT working for me in my almost 50's. I'm now having to shift and do things completely differently.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    ChefMader wrote: »
    Just my two cents. I keep track of my calories on MFP for many years - most the time not really "dieting" per se, but just to maintain "awareness" of where I'm at and what I'm doing. I've steadily and slowly gained weight. So people saying just follow the calorie recommendations, I would say:: This DOES NOT work for all people unfortunately.

If you have insulin resistance, a metabolic disorder, have PCOS, are impaired/disabled and unable to be active, are peri-menopausal or menopausal, are diabetic, have no gallbladder or other major organ issue.... (just to name a few) the calorie suggestions DO NOT WORK.

What works is trial and error for your body and what your body responds to. What worked for me in my 20's is NOT working for me in my almost 50's. I'm now having to shift and do things completely differently.

Well, if you track calories and see you’re gaining weight, then clearly you’re eating too many calories. Expecting to carry on as if you were still in your 20’s, well what do you expect? If I weighed 125 like I did on my wedding day, I’d look like Stick Man. Bodies change. In my case very much for the worst, and then for the better.

And there’s a shedload of people here with all those “conditions” who have successfully lost. I lost 97 starting at 56, after being obese for 25 years. My 67 year old husband is T2 diabetic and has lost enough weight here in the past year that his doc took him off diabetes medication. What magic did he use? Calorie counting.

There’s story after story of people who are disabled are unable to exercise who have still lost weight. Check out Success Stories if you need proof:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/success-stories

“Weight loss is made in the kitchen” is a favorite saying ‘round these parts and for good reason.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    ChefMader wrote: »
    (snip)
    Evidently I don't have enough of those boxes ticked for the weight loss doom to kick in?

I'm only severely hypothyroid (a metabolism disorder), menopausal, and lacking a gallbladder, and calorie counting worked fine for me.

I admit it's true that I did have to adjust the calorie suggestion . . . upward, by several hundred calories daily, to avoid losing unhealthfully fast.

Sure, not everyone is exactly average, and that's what the calorie suggestion is, an average of similar people. Individuals can be below or above it - not always for obvious reasons. Most people are close.

Everyone should treat those numbers as a starting guess, monitor results, adjust if necessary.

My total lifestyle and body composition (fat vs. muscle) are very different in my 60s than in my 20s. I've had different prior episodes of weight loss in my 60s as compared with my 20s.

Are you different in such things, in your almost 50s vs 20s? I think most people are. Those things matter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I never really even paid attention to carbs. They don't have anything to do with weight management. I eat plenty of them. If you're coming off of keto just be aware that you will see a spike on the scale as carbohydrates carry about 3-4 grams of water per gram of carbohydrate...the fast part of keto loss is water...when you resume consuming carbohydrates, you will also gain water weight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Options
    I lost weight just fine without restricting carbs (at 50+ years old, not during any significant amount of exercise during my initial weigh loss phase). Probably averaged around 45% of my calories coming from carbs during weight loss (generally more from carbs in maintenance, since my approach is to make sure I get enough protein and fat for nutritional purposes, then let the rest fall where they will --- during weight loss, getting enough protein and fat took about 55% of my reduced calories).
  • shockbishop
    shockbishop Posts: 38 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    edit
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Yep. 80 lbs. Somedays WAY over on carbs. My only real target is 'eat enough protein'. Fat and carbs shake out as they will.