feeling discouraged and down

Options
2 weeks ago on September 6, I weighed 196.4 and I was really happy to see a downward trend. Now it is 2 weeks later and I weighed 197.2 this morning. This has been very discouraging and I know that you guys will say "its just 0.8lbs and its nothing to stress over" or "its just water weight, drink more water" etc.

The changes over the past 2 weeks was that I started school and my bf came back on a school term with me. Also, I havent been able to exercise much due to a knee injury.

Either way, this has been so discouraging to see the scale numbers move up and I feel like calling it quits sometimes :(

I wish the scale would move in my favor.....

Replies

• NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Where are you compared to when you started? I like to look at that when the scale doesn't cooperate. Besides, this isn't easy. You're going to hit a rough patch here and there. It's OK as long as you do your best to get back on track. You can do this!
  • dannylives
    Options
    Dont give up! Make it a lifestyle! You'll still be exercising a 4 or 5 years from now, it's okay to feel discouraged and down, today sucks but tomorrow and next week will still come! Future opportunities to continue being bad *kitten*!
  • littlepint
    Options
    I feel for you. I have did well when I first started. Lost 20 lbs. I have been in a rut for about 5-6 mo. I watch what I eat, exercise but see no results. In fact I have gained. My thyroid is normal so it's not that. I get very discouraged but I know I have to keep trying. Eventually we both will start seeing results. May have to change your diet or exercise a little. Good luck and don't give up. You can do it!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    We all go through ups and downs! This weekend I did really bad at my parents' house and didn't even get on the scale. Other days, I eat like I normally do and wake up to a 2 lb gain. Sometimes, it's what we eat, water, TOM, anything! Keep on going towards your goal!
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you are feeling discouraged. I know that feeling very well. There are a variety of different reasons for your small gain.... water retention, "that time of the month", muscles getting used to the exercise, your body adjusting to your routine.

Whatever you decide to do to break thru this plateau, don't give up. Do you feel better? How do your clothes fit? are you noticing changes in your body? Remember, it's just as important to celebrate non scale victories as it is to see the scale move. Whenever I get into this phase or my scale won't move.. I take a break from the scale.. change up my eating slightly, do a different exercise.. (I just discovered Golf, and man is it a workout) Chin up.. your hard work WILL pay off. :)
  • toque_de_miel
    toque_de_miel Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Don't get too down on yourself. For the past month practically I've hovered back and forth, up and down between the same 2-3 lb range, and still haven't broken it.

You're doing great, from what I can see on your stats you've made incredible progress already :)
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Just don't worry about it. Nobody that eats healthy, diets and exercises, stays fat. Your weight will drop. And remember, stress causes release of cortisol, which causes water retention, higher blood sugars, weight gain and hunger. So stressing about it will just make it worse. And if you have excessive stress elsewhere in your life, see what you can do to reduce it.
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You're still in ONEderland so don't forget about that accomplishment!! After 10 months of P90X and 90%-ish clean eating, I (only) lost 24 lbs, and ended up gaining 8 back due to lack of motivation to continue since I plateaued. In moments like this, ignorance may be bliss if that's what it takes to keep you motivated to reach your goal. I have to ignore the scale and keep with my routine pretending the scale showed a loss, otherwise I would have given up 4 months ago.

Also, the scale is just one measure of success. Are you more energized? Happier? Healthier? Smaller in inches? If you answered yes to any of the above then you have not failed! :)

Hang in there.
  • arcticbear
    arcticbear Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    what do you think you need to do next? Your honest answer here is important....:smile:
  • j99li
    j99li Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have decided to give p90 a go today and just did sculpt 1-2. I might be getting used to JM workouts with her 3-2-1 phase, and with my knee issue I tend to skip the cardio phase cuz her cardio is fairly "hardcore" haha.
  • patricia184
    patricia184 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Weight drops off me verrrrrrry slowly! Like one to two pounds a month! But I'm feeling emotionally healthier being off the sugar and white carbs. I'm exercising more and doing strength training. I'm looking for more ways to m-o-v-e!! Like dancing, biking, hiking! I've made a chart of my weight loss and it IS in a downward trend. If I weren't on MFP it would be skyrocketing upwards! I try to think of all the things I've gained: pride, happiness, mindfulness. I wish the weight would just drop off quickly like it seems to for everyone else. But for me it's a slow road.
    I stole this from a post today because it hit the right target: Dieting is hard SOME of the time. Being overweight is hard ALL of the time!
    Keep at it! It does work!
  • kaleigh91
    Options
    I decided to start a diet and exercise regime when I went up to 9 stone (from being 7.5)
    I would weigh myself every week and be horrified bc some weeks it seemed like i was actually putting on weight, as the scales would show. when I had cut my calories to under 1200.
    If you keep at it you will see that it workd itself out (:
    I'm getting there slowly and I also have an injury so haven't had the chance to work out.
    Good luck xx