Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I didn’t know I was T2 Diabetic for yrs

Options
lorettodaza
lorettodaza Posts: 1 Member
Why is it that I was insulin resistant for 8 yrs and my drs don’t seemed to be alarmed? I knew my sugar was a bit high but I didn’t know why; I ate clean enough, or that I was about to become a TypeII diabetic. Finally in my last blood results I entered the category. The doctors told me to loose weight and exercise to lower my cholesterol and sugar but you just can’t loose one ounce when your insulin is always high. I have tried so hard to loose weight by doing everything right. Eating clean, exercising hard watching my water intake you name it , but my weight didn’t budge while others around me had results with the same practices. Doctors don’t seem to know that insulin is a killer and give no importance to the fact that while your insulin is high in your blood it destroys your thyroid, your veins, your heart and then they want to prescribe more of it when you finally became insulin resistant aka a diabetic. They just give you blood pressure medicine and medicine to treat the symptoms but not the cause. How are we supposed to protect ourselves. Are we supposed to always treat the symptoms with pills never address the cause? What causes insulin resistance? For some us clear bad lifestyle but in my case I really don’t know I have always taken care of myself

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    It can run in families. Sorry to hear about your struggle and that the doctors didn’t help earlier.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    My mom didn’t know she was diabetic until she died from ketoacidosis from high blood sugar spike so I definitely empathize.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    What causes insulin resistance? For some us clear bad lifestyle but in my case I really don’t know I have always taken care of myself

Combination of genetics and excess fat (although what is excess fat sufficient to cause it varies, and for some people it can be lower) plus age is also a risk factor.

It sounds like you were IR (which is not the same as T2D, but a warning sign) and then the condition progressed to T2D, not that you were T2D for years, unless there is something you haven't mentioned.

Generally, all the doctor can do is recommend weight loss and watching carbs (generally limiting carbs per meal and mixing them with protein and fiber).

Exercise is also good, but generally I think your doctor was right that the best step you can take is lose weight if you are overweight, and talk to a dietitian about what you can do to manage your condition through diet. Did you get referred to a dietitian or ask for a referral?
  • WailingDusk
    WailingDusk Posts: 58 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Why is it that I was insulin resistant for 8 yrs and my drs don’t seemed to be alarmed? I knew my sugar was a bit high but I didn’t know why; I ate clean enough, or that I was about to become a TypeII diabetic. Finally in my last blood results I entered the category. The doctors told me to loose weight and exercise to lower my cholesterol and sugar but you just can’t loose one ounce when your insulin is always high. I have tried so hard to loose weight by doing everything right. Eating clean, exercising hard watching my water intake you name it , but my weight didn’t budge while others around me had results with the same practices. Doctors don’t seem to know that insulin is a killer and give no importance to the fact that while your insulin is high in your blood it destroys your thyroid, your veins, your heart and then they want to prescribe more of it when you finally became insulin resistant aka a diabetic. They just give you blood pressure medicine and medicine to treat the symptoms but not the cause. How are we supposed to protect ourselves. Are we supposed to always treat the symptoms with pills never address the cause? What causes insulin resistance? For some us clear bad lifestyle but in my case I really don’t know I have always taken care of myself

You mentioned 'eating clean' twice. What does that mean, exactly? If you were eating a whole foods diet, you would not be a type 2 diabetic. I hate to break this to you, but type 2 diabetes doesn't just happen genetically. You can be genetically predispositioned for it, but it is 100% preventable. My A1C 2 years ago was 6.4. I was one point away from being diabetic. My A1C now is 4.5, and I eat a CLEAN diet. I'm talking no processed food, no fast food, no sugar, all whole foods.

So I really want to know what you consider clean eating, because I can almost guarantee this was not the case and you did not try 'everything'. I hate to sound harsh, but this is just a fact. And the ONLY way you are going to cure your diabetes is by completely changing what you eat. Yes you can CURE type 2 diabetes. It is not a death sentence. It's harder now if you're actually taking insulin, but you don't have many choices. If you ate clean, you wouldn't need insulin. Your body will become insulin sensitive again once you stop bombarding it with sugar.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    The above is not a fact.

some people develop type 2 diabetes despite healthy eating and good weight control

and No you do not cure type 2 diabetes - you can sometimes get it under control without medication, and losing weight helps your chances of that.
    But it is controlled, not cured.

I hate to break it to you but your post is wrong.

and what works for you doesnt work for everyone despite their best efforts.