Positive Self Talk - what do you say to yourself

Options
GoRun2
GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
What do you say to yourself that is positive and helps you stay on plan?

I say, "I can do this. I choose to do this. " " I want to be healthier, I want to fit into cute clothes, I want to look healthier"

What do you say?

Replies

• TMinusSix
    TMinusSix Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me, it's more mental. So I tell myself each time cravings or weight loss doubts kicks in:

"Today, we zero the clock. Just me, this diet and exercise plan." And the other one is "Forget the start. It's the end you want to think about now."

Telling myself to zero the clock just means stop worrying about things not in my control and focus on things I can control. That goes hand in hand with the second quote which is to focus on the final outcome. Right now is the time to start planning what I'm going to do once I reach my goal. I don't wanna go back to eating unhealthy and gaining that weight back. So finding that healthy medium where I can eat my fav foods but still able to maintain is the key to being successful at last.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have a triathlon in August. I tell myself that if I don't train properly for it, I could actually die...probably not, but it would really, really suck.
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    "Every day at or below maintenance is a win." I do much better when I allow myself the option to 'fail'. I set my goals low and forgive myself for potential future mistakes now. This takes the stress off of 'needing' to do anything. I eat (much) more when stressed (and bored and lonely) so I took it out of the equation. And when I do make my calorie goal it feels like I went above and beyond, which also lifts my mood, in turn motivating me to continue.
  • shockbishop
    shockbishop Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    "Take it Slowwww" you didn't get here overnight, it won't reverse overnight, committing is enough.
  • theflowmaster
    theflowmaster Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that with each step it gets easier. That is, at least when I am walking/running, that's what I tell myself. Because with each step I am a tiny bit lighter, stronger, and closer to my goal. Seems to be a good mantra to repeat to myself when I am exercising.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that the taste of candy/a cookie lasts 30 seconds at best. I can skip it.
    I can stand to be a little hungry.
    If I'm not hungry enough to eat broccoli, I'm not really hungry.
    If I eat my plan, it is enough food.
    And after I eat, I tell myself it takes time to feel full.

It really helps to spend time reading/ researching about weight loss from the big picture down to which frozen bowl meals suit me, and including the forums here. Make it a priority!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    I'm not much for positive affirmations. I don't disrespect those for whom those are helpful, not in any way, but . . . I think I'd always know I was gaming myself, or something weird like that.

My mental tricks are a little different. A couple main ones:

* Leaving room in my self-concept for progress: Just that self-definition or self-talk distinction between (say) "I always overeat on Saturdays" vs. "I haven't yet figured out the best way to organize my Saturdays to balance enjoyment with progress toward my goals", for example. The latter kind of thinking creates a possible path for improvement. It's not something I say to myself explicitly, but it's a cognitive frame I try to stay within, to keep improvement psychologically more possible.

* Non-negotiables. There are some things that I can convince myself I Just Do. They aren't decisions. I don't have a choice. If I've planned the workout, I just do the workout, in pretty much the same way I'd do the laundry if I had zero clean clothes. I don't ask myself whether it will be fun, or if I'm motivated, or whether I feel like it: It's just a thing that has to be done. I can do that with some food goals, too (not all), such as not buying the tempting treats and bringing them home; or hitting key nutritional goals.

I won't claim to be perfect on either of these, but they're things that mostly work, and do help me stay on track. I do want to mostly stay on track in order to balance my short term pleasure with future Ann's long term health and well-being, but I can't seem to use affirmations or positive self-talk around that idea and make it work for me. 🤷‍♀️
  • tvsloan9438
    tvsloan9438 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For me it’s about my health, severe eczema and asthma and but mainly fertility! So for me it is “even if it doesn’t happen at least I can say I’ve tried my damn hardest” so I can look back with no regrets!
  • BeYourBestSelfDeb
    BeYourBestSelfDeb Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I say, “If it’s gonna be, it’s up to me!” There is little in life we can control but we can control our eating habits, meal planning and being accountable. With that said I am not saying it’s easy but it’s Do-able.

I was told one time by an old WW buddy, “ nothing taste as good as being healthy feels”. I was there once and I will be there again.

I look forward to making new friends that share in my goal.
    Thank you for allowing me to share.
    Best Wishes,
    Debbie
    Lancaster Ohio