New here

Options
Hello! Haven't had a weight loss journey in several years but I'm looking to lose 50 pounds. I'm basically doing caloric deficit and fasting for 20 hours out of the day. Any recommendations to speed up the process? I've been so comfortable the last few years eating anything and everything. I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin. If you want to join me I'd be more than happy to join you.

Replies

• shockbishop
    shockbishop Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Go slow man. Read about the nasty things your body does when it thinks it’s starving. The body is very good at surviving a hard winter, blame our ancestors.

Set it to 1/lb a week and add me. I got about a year to do this and the same weight to lose as you.

FYI I fast naturally 18 hrs a day because I don’t like eating late. I’m fat as crap. :)
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    @shockbishop I really like how honest you are 😆 but yea fasting long hours do the opposite for me. My body thinks we are facing famine and hold on to every pound of fat😑

@johncmooney3 I also got too comfortable eating anything and everything my whole life because I was active and was just always amused when people said I was lucky to be how I was with the way I ate. But two and a half years of almost no activity was what it took for all the fats I outran to finally catch up and find me 🙁
    Work up to 20/4, maybe start with 16/8, then 17/7 and if that works good enough you won't need to fast a whole 20 hours.

And if you have gastritis 20/4 is really hard on your body. It makes it worse. In my opinion and experience anyway. Hope whatever you have planned works well for you 🌼
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,625 Member
    Options
    Hello! Haven't had a weight loss journey in several years but I'm looking to lose 50 pounds. I'm basically doing caloric deficit and fasting for 20 hours out of the day. Any recommendations to speed up the process? I've been so comfortable the last few years eating anything and everything. I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin. If you want to join me I'd be more than happy to join you.

So, you "haven't had a weight loss journey in several years"? Does that mean you've had multiple weight loss journeys, over time? Maybe because of regain?

If so: The real and most important goal IMO is to reach a healthy weight, and stay there long term, ideally permanently. Aim at that.

IMO, "speed(ing) up the process" is counter-productive. IMO, what you really ought to do is find new, relatively easy habits that lead you gradually to a healthy weight, and keep you there long term, almost on autopilot. (When life gets complicated - as it will, eventually - autopilot weight management is an excellent thing.)

How fast you reach goal weight isn't nearly as important as how long you stay there.

I lost 50+ pounds, obese to healthy weight, back in 2015 when I was age 59-60, while hypothyroid, even (if you think stuff like that matters - I don't). That, after being overweight/obese for around 3 decades previously. I've maintained a healthy weight for 6+ years since, now age 66. It's worth finding the healthy and maintainable habits. Speed of loss can be at cross-purposes to that. Give it a think.

Wishing you long-term success, no matter what route you elect, sincerely!
  • capgordon1293
    capgordon1293 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hey man how's it going . Am doing intermittent fasting on kinobody . warrior shredd program check it out man . But I fast for 6 to 8 hours once I wake up having only strong black coffee and sparkling water . Then have a good decent size lunch and big dinner and then mabey a small snack later then one day of the week I have a refeed day where I eat a bit extra to up the calories along with training which I still need to start . Don't rush it be consistent and ur body will react . And get ur rest just as important as Training
  • capgordon1293
    capgordon1293 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'll add u man