Garmin's new bike radar has evidence camera!

NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
This may be of use to some in here.

Garmin has a new Varia radar unit, built into a trail light and with a 1080p camera this time. The camera can be always on or off, or it can be triggered by the radar and record whenever there is traffic behind you.

Battery life is 6 hours with everything on, the light in solid (not blink) mode, etc. Blink adds hours? You can turn the camera down to 720p to extend the battery further.

I already have a radar and find it extremely useful. I'm not interested in this one as I don't personally want the camera. But the appeal is obvious.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I've been riding with cameras fore & aft for years and they've saved me from a few altercations with drivers (amazing how their attitudes change when you point out that you got their close pass or right hook on video). The reviews for the Garmin seem pretty interesting but I don't normally ride with a computer or my phone out of my pocket so I'm not sure about the usefulness of the radar.
  • NorthCascades
    I love the radar. I agree it's much less useful without some way of alerting you. I leave my light on solid mode, but it changes to blink when a car is behind me. It blinks faster when the car is moving faster and the blink slows down as the driver does. It's good for making them aware of me and of their speed.

I ride where it's convenient within my lane as a matter of course, and move to the side of the road when there's a driver behind me. It spots them before my ears do. Negative interactions with drivers are much rarer now.
  • NorthCascades
    FYI

The new goodie is $400. 😳 I guess that's not unreasonable for a radar, bright taillight, and video camera. It's more than I would want to spend though.

I found out there previous generation radar and taillight RTL515 is on sale for $150. No camera. If anybody wants the radar but not the camera that's the obvious choice.

I don't want to push anybody, I like talking about technology and sharing info about deals. I'm personally using an RTL510 I've had for two years, it replaced the original one for me because the first generation taillight wasn't very bright.