150 pounds to lose.

Options
2»

Replies

• MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I started with 140 to lose, and I'm a little over half way. Don't even think of it in terms of 150 pounds. I totally agree with those above who said to just think about it 5 or 10 at a time. I would go even further and recommend just thinking of it as moving a little more than last week, eating better than last week, etc. until you develop really good nutrition and exercise habits. Habit is everything. Good habits will carry part of your plan when your willpower isn't enough to make all the right choices on its own.
  • AmazingStace
    AmazingStace Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Set small goals--it makes it so much less overwhelming. Stick with MFP. It WORKS! The food diary is essential for weight loss. I never thought I could stick with it, but I'm at 7 weeks and going strong. You can do this!!
  • MrsUnderwood
    Options
    Look at it in smaller scale, that might help. Tell yourself you just need to lose 10 pounds 15 times. You CAN do that! 150 pounds seems daunting, I know, I'm in the same boat! I've lost 10 pounds twice, I just have 13 more to go!

Good luck!!!
  • ryanfeltz
    Options
    You can do it ..... strong mind strong will strong body...
  • mrspenton2009
    mrspenton2009 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi Carrie,

The one thing you must remember is that your weight gain was not all at once so the weight loss surely won't be. Hang in there. One day at a time one pound at a time. Feel free to add me if you'd like. Good luck and Don't be so hard on yourself.
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you Carri.....with 100+ to lose. Feel free to add me for support!
  • javalyd
    javalyd Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!!! Yes its small goals to look at, and not the whole picture!! By readin your thread and reading what others have to say even just motivated me more cuz I felt that I fell off ...They have answered my uncertainities thank you MFP members!!! You keep you head forward and don't look back!!!!! Wish you and all the best of journey!!
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had close to that much to lose when I started a little over 8 months ago. Everyone here is right: if you only look at the big number, it's gonna be HARD.

What's worked for me is setting small, easily attainable goals. Every pound lost: win. Every glass of water: win. Every walk: win. You get the idea. :)

You can do this. Get your head around the fact that we're talking lifelong changes here; that will help.

Add me if you like and we'll journey on together. Forward we go! :)
  • mssweetjay
    Options
    Guess what you made the first hurdle!!! How? You join this awesome site where you can get all the support you need on your journey!!!! The number of pounds to lose can be overwhelming at times but as long as you focus on changing your eating habits and just move that body then the rest will follow!!. Do make short term goals that will make it a hold lot easier to reach the big goal!!! Its up to you to make small steps each day!!! You can do this!!!
  • imcarrid
    Options
    WOW! I am so impressed with the responses to my post! Thank you to everyone. What a great welcome this is. I appreciate all of you responding to me, and I am going to just focus on the forst 10 for now.

I just have to lose 10 pounds... 15 times!
    I can do this!
  • forestrose910
    forestrose910 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My friend and I were commenting that it wasn't fast enough to loose one pound a week. we wanted more. then we realized that if we had lost one pound a week for the past year we would be 50 pounds lighter!!!!!!!

Then I started with a healthy eatting plan and exercise plan and had a coach. The coach set the first goal at 7% of total weight. each time I reached a goal, the goal was set at 7% of current weight. By losing 1-2 pounds a week, I lost 85 pounds. It took a year and I still have about 70 pounds to go, but what a difference. Think where I would be if I would have started that year earlier when a pound a week seemed like a waste of time. but that was in the past. and your past is in your past. You start now on this journey.

You can do this as others have said, take it one pound at a time. Set a short term goal and when you reach it reward yourself with something nice for yourself. (not food related). a piece of clothing, a piece of jewelry, a night at a hotel with a jaccuzzi or anything that is fun for you.

Weigh yourself once a week, complete your food journal, even if you don't stay totally on track. Plan ahead with healthy snacks and food every few hours.

It does seem overwhelming to look as a large weight loss but......... Think about how you will feel if you loose 1/3 of it. Then 1/3 more and so on. No matter how long it takes if you are moving toward those goals you will feel so much better and look better and be healthy.

Good luck and you will do this.......
  • Menene
    Menene Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Your not the only one!!!! Sending you a friend request
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I started here back in the end of April with the thought that I have about 110 pounds to lose. Since I've been losing nicely, I've taken a look at my body in the mirror and realize that I might have an overall loss of about 130 or 135... and thinking in the long term like that... thinking HOW LONG that will take to come off at 1.5 pounds per week is daunting and depressing... so I don't think in terms of length.

I think only in terms of eating healthy, continuing on a journey that will take me to where I want to be... thinner and healhier and stronger. And in terms of the length of time, if it does start haunting me, I just think about how easy it will be to make this a life-long eating change because I'm doing it and I will continue doing it and then it will become second nature before I even know it!

Welcome. You've taken the BIGGEST, HARDEST step there is... deciding to start.
  • mssygayle
    mssygayle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    add me gf i still have 70 more to go
  • TruWisdom
    TruWisdom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well I can understand how you feel. My goal is to lose 150 right with you!!!!!!!! Please don't get depressed about it even though it's a challange. Just set small goals that lead to the large goal and you can do it. Im a very bussy mom so I will try to keep in contact with you to help you stay focus. Just remember every step closer to your goal is an success. Reward yourself for each goal that is met and you will be you successful. :wink:
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am trying to loose around 120 pounds....I don't focus on the number, I stay motivated about the finish! I have seen some people on mfp that has 200 + pounds to loose, and some of them have already lost it. We can either be our biggest motivator or our biggest discourager....I always tell myself "I'm going to make it happen because trying is not an option for me". Set your goals and include a reward for each goal....Hope this help!

What wonderful inspiration!!!
  • jazzkat68
    jazzkat68 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am trying to loose around 120 pounds....I don't focus on the number, I stay motivated about the finish! I have seen some people on mfp that has 200 + pounds to loose, and some of them have already lost it. We can either be our biggest motivator or our biggest discourager....I always tell myself "I'm going to make it happen because trying is not an option for me". Set your goals and include a reward for each goal....Hope this help!

^^^ like! :)
  • 38Gigi38
    38Gigi38 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I started out with 145lbs to lose and I've lost about 18 in 6 months. I have health issues that make it harder for me to lose faster, but I'm working through it. I'm trying to stay more focused on changing my life, and doing it slowly so that I will be able to maintain a life-style rather than just trying another fad diet that doesn't work. This site is so wonderful in so many ways. I love being able to track what I eat, and seeing it right there in black and white print does make you change your whole way of thinking. The friends I have made here are fantastic though, they are so supportive and make me feel like I can do anything. Having supportive friends that understand what you are going through because they've already been there is essential to being successful as well in my opinion. Good luck on your journey! When you realize that this is for you and YOU are worth the effort, it will become easier too.