calling all work from home moms!!

Options
I am a stay home mommy to 3 and in the last 6wks I have taken on a job here out of my home. My question is for those of you who've been working from home for a while... do you prefer to do your workout first thing in the morning or in the evening after the kids are in bed? And why? Thank you ahead of time. I'm getting back on the horse and am going harder then ever and am trying to work out a sensible schedule.

Replies

• MrsVagus
    Options
    I am a work from home mommy too! I usually get up real early to do some of my work work, and then workout with my daughter either at the gym or on a stroller walk/jog (about 9-9:30 ish). Then work/ play/whatever for the rest of the day.
  • christinehay78
    christinehay78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I usually work out between 10-11:30am. I've heard it's good to mix up your work out times so maybe alternate between the morning and evening?
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    nothing to do with this blog.. but what type of work at home jobs are you guys doing?
  • llbreell
    Options
    I do first thing in the morning. It gives me the energy I need to keep up with work, the kids and the house.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I'm not a human being before 10am. I work out @ 8:30pm when my kids finally get to sleep. lol
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I work for a mortgage company; Most of my work is back office stuff so i hardly ever speak to clients.

I do my workouts at night. Then i can take a shower and go to bed. I say try both and see what you like best.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have a home office and have 2 sons (15 and 9 years old). Although they are no longer babies at home, their schedule still dictates my day. For me, I schedule my workouts just like I schedule all their events, appointments, and activities. I will workout whenever and however I can fit it in...no matter what...whether it's at 5am or 9pm at night...it'll get done. So basically...do it whenever you can and schedule it in.
  • mooselady2004
    mooselady2004 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I work from home, and I am just getting back to getting some activity in, so am just walking for now. I walk my son to the bus stop and then do my walk, which is easier, because I am already started. Hopefully, when I pick up some more rigorous activity, I will already have that spot in my day carved out.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    nothing to do with this blog.. but what type of work at home jobs are you guys doing?

Fraud investigator.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I like to work out first thing to get it out of the way. If I put it off, it's too easy to get occupied with work and never get around to exercising.

When my kids were little, I'd work a couple of hours before they woke up, work during am and pm naps, and another hour or two when my husband got home from work. Now that they're older and head off to school, it's much easier to schedule workout and work hours.
  • jennyrider
    Options
    I like to exercise first thing in the morning. The earlier, the better!
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I stay at home with my daughter during the day and then work from home at night, after my daughter has gone to bed. This means I'm generally up working until 1-2a.m. My daughter usually wakes up between 6:30 & 7, so there's just no possible way I can get up to workout before she's awake. I belong to a local community gym that only has childcare from 5-8 in the evenings, so on days I hit the gym, it's around 6-7 in the evening. If I don't go to the gym, I usually do a DVD (currently doing 30DS) around 8-8:30, after my daughter is in bed.

I'm single so I really have only the options of gym during childcare hours or doing something at home. I'm trying to increase the amount of walking we do to run errands, etc, as a way to add in extra movement during the day. It's tough because I know I'd be losing weight quicker/easier if I was able to fit more exercise in but this is my reality and I'm making it work!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I work from home and have a nearly 8-month-old son. You're probably not going to like hearing this... but I get up at 5:45AM six days/week. My sister has two young kids, and so I walk to her house, and we do the Couch to 5K (we started week 6 today) around the neighborhood. It's the only time of day we both can do it because our respective husbands are home in case the kids need something (still sleeping in my husband's case, getting ready for work in hers - he's a teacher and leaves just as she gets home from our run). This past weekend her husband was out of town for a wedding, so I got up at the same time, went to her house, and worked out there with workout videos.

I am SO not a morning person, so it's really, really hard to do, but knowing I'd be letting her down by not going with her pushes me to get out of bed. I think I've copped out twice - once because my legs and back were mega sore from a yoga workout and the other time because my son had already woken up due to a major diaper leak :(

Anyway, we get back to our respective houses around 7AM. I shower immediately (usually my son is still asleep, but sometimes he has just woken up or is waking up as I'm getting ready to jump in the shower - though I shower SUPER quickly), and then I am at least showered for the day. If I need to leave the house, it doesn't take me that long to get dressed and ready.

My sister has a typical job and takes her kids to daycare, so early AM is the best time for her. I could do it during the day, but I tried running with a jogging stroller once, and it was awful, nevermind the fact that it's too warm or hot here during the day most of the year. We talked about running after our kids were in bed, but we'd be starting rather late (her older one goes to bed at 8:30) and would thus have a hard time getting to sleep. It's also still pretty warm here in the evenings. 6AM is about as cool as it gets (though today it was a bit chilly, in the low 60s).

Getting up that early is a little painful, but it feels good just getting it out of the way. Also, I then have all day (well, naptimes, I guess) to work and can still be available to do work in the evenings after we put our son to bed.

I hope that helps! Best wishes to you!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I have a home office and have 2 sons (15 and 9 years old). Although they are no longer babies at home, their schedule still dictates my day. For me, I schedule my workouts just like I schedule all their events, appointments, and activities. I will workout whenever and however I can fit it in...no matter what...whether it's at 5am or 9pm at night...it'll get done. So basically...do it whenever you can and schedule it in.

In talking to people who are really good about working out regularly, this seems to be a common theme - if you treat it like something you have to do every day/on certain days or like an appointment that you have to keep, you are more likely to do it. There was one time in my life I was super consistent about working out (and then I was sidelined by an unrelated injury for several weeks), and no matter how I felt, the second I got home from work, I worked out, no excuses (this was when I was single, no kids). Eventually it became a habit.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm a work-at-home homeschooling mom. I do medical transcription from 6 am to noon, then we homeschool in the afternoons (my girls are 15 and 17). I like to go to the gym early - 5:15 am - and get a quick 35-40 minutes in before coming home and starting work. Then after we finish school on Tuesdays and Thursdays, the girls and I go to the gym for classes.
  • kristakayklein
    Options
    I looooove to do my thing at night.... I guess you aren't supposed to... but I like to because I can get all sweaty at the end of the day.... take my shower and hit the sack.... all with no kids needing me cuz they are already in bed.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I work from home and have a nearly 8-month-old son. You're probably not going to like hearing this... but I get up at 5:45AM six days/week. My sister has two young kids, and so I walk to her house, and we do the Couch to 5K (we started week 6 today) around the neighborhood. It's the only time of day we both can do it because our respective husbands are home in case the kids need something (still sleeping in my husband's case, getting ready for work in hers - he's a teacher and leaves just as she gets home from our run). This past weekend her husband was out of town for a wedding, so I got up at the same time, went to her house, and worked out there with workout videos.

I am SO not a morning person, so it's really, really hard to do, but knowing I'd be letting her down by not going with her pushes me to get out of bed. I think I've copped out twice - once because my legs and back were mega sore from a yoga workout and the other time because my son had already woken up due to a major diaper leak :(

Anyway, we get back to our respective houses around 7AM. I shower immediately (usually my son is still asleep, but sometimes he has just woken up or is waking up as I'm getting ready to jump in the shower - though I shower SUPER quickly), and then I am at least showered for the day. If I need to leave the house, it doesn't take me that long to get dressed and ready.

My sister has a typical job and takes her kids to daycare, so early AM is the best time for her. I could do it during the day, but I tried running with a jogging stroller once, and it was awful, nevermind the fact that it's too warm or hot here during the day most of the year. We talked about running after our kids were in bed, but we'd be starting rather late (her older one goes to bed at 8:30) and would thus have a hard time getting to sleep. It's also still pretty warm here in the evenings. 6AM is about as cool as it gets (though today it was a bit chilly, in the low 60s).

Getting up that early is a little painful, but it feels good just getting it out of the way. Also, I then have all day (well, naptimes, I guess) to work and can still be available to do work in the evenings after we put our son to bed.

I hope that helps! Best wishes to you!

Fortunatly I am pre conditioned to being up early. I see my b/f off most days around 5 and then begin my job around 5:30. 4:30 on the other hand yes, may be a bit of a tough one to conquer, but luckily i'l have my b/f right there with me pushin my butt cause he's gonna do it with me!! Thanks for the tips =)
  • ndwelch
    Options
    I work at home and have a 5 month old and an almost 5 year old. It's tough, and I'm not going to lie, sometimes I don't make it to the gym. Most days, though, my boys get up early (around 6) we have breakfast, get dressed, change diapers, etc. This takes a while, but then we head to the gym. Usually around 8:30 or 9. We go to the YMCA, and their childcare doesn't even open until 8:30, so I can't go any earlier, unfortunately. If I don't make it to the gym for a good workout, I try to take my boys on a walk. Sometimes the older one rides his bike while his little brother is in the jogging stroller. At least it's something....

At night isn't an option. My husband works nights, so I'm home alone with the boys. I guess I could do a DVD or something, but I haven't really gotten into any of that. Wish I had a treadmill at home though.
  • Rupi40
    Rupi40 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi i usually go to the gym around 8.30am, after doing a 30min circuit, i go on the powerplate for 10mins, does anyome know calories you burn on a vibration plate for a 10min session.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I've looked into gym memberships and we think we've found one we might join fairly local. I'm starting to think that a gym membership might be great for the days I can't get my workout done here at home. We have a gym set up in a bonus room in our garage and hope to get more equipment soon but it is god awful hot in there 24/7...not fun to workout in 100+ temps lol!