its all messed up!

Options
For two weeks in a row I have lost little weight. I work too hard for that. I do not cheat. I plug the numbers and should be losing two pounds a week. I dont eat my excercise calories, although I have in times past, to no avail. I cycle three hours a night. Now I am only five 1,and weigh a miserable 181. I am a stinking pear shape,and if my face and arms get much thinner, it will be sad. My calories average 1200 a day,and not eating excercise calories makes that very low. I try zigzagging and every trick known to man kind. I burn Five hundred calories a night on my excercise bike alone,and still didnt lose a full lb. this week. Am I just too old and short to bother? I am close to tears and frustrated to death. I know all about plateau and have managed them in the past but this is ridiculous. I wish I had something to break right now!

Replies

• rebgeo
    Options
    :( I feel your frustration!
  • Cranachtheelder
    Options
    Could it be that you are losing fat but gaining muscle ? It weighs more, but is much healthier. Try taking measurements rather than using your weight as a bench Mark. Don't stop the good work though, your heart and knees will thank you later.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    No your not too old to lose weight! How much water do you drink per day? Also, if your burning 500 cal or more on a workout per day I would think you'd need more that 1200 calories try eating a little more fruits and vegetables, along with drinking at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day and I would think that would help. I'm 5'3 and 168 and I eat about 1600 cal a day, because I burn about 600-700 cal in the gym. I also have consistently lost a pound each week except on TOM weeks. I drink between 10-14 glasses of water a day.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    If you look at all the threads over the last 2 weeks...it is plateau time :-)

Loads of good advice on them x
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I think you are eating too few calories. I was doing about the same 1300 and not eating exercise calories and my scale would not budge. Maybe a half a lb a week at most. (I have 60+lbs to lose). I started floowing what MFP said which was 1520/day -still dont eat my exercise calories and I started loosing about 2/lbs per week. Just something to think about.
  • kiawya
    Options
    Have you tried getting your Thyroid checked? That first, Secondly.. you are starving yourself! You have to eat at least 1/2 of those exercise calories, your body needs them! My experience tells me you are putting yourself into starvation mode. Anyone who is working out regularly needs to eat MORE than 1200 calories. Your body is freaking out, you need to feed it to burn off the fat.. I know its weird but it works! Eat more healthy foods and eat some of your workout calories and you will see it melt away!!
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Time & Consistency, that's all I can say! Please don't be discouraged! I am 5'2" and pear shaped.. and started @ 190lbs!!! I'm now down 50lbs... a whole YEAR later... yes the trackers say one thing but your body will do what it needs to in the time frame needed.. please just hang in there!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Do some resistance training - even if it's just with your own bodyweight. Eat more and eat more lean protein.
  • doeshanks
    doeshanks Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Is it a case of your not eating enough...? They do say you have to eat to loose...?? I do feel your frustration esp when your trying so hard but dont give up...(as I usually do, but feeling positive this time) goodluck ..x
  • ladysandy
    Options
    I've experienced the samething, and I was doing the samething you are doing... and I think you are doing TOO MUCH.... Slow down a little and eat a little more. I know this sounds wierd but everyone was telling me this and I couldn't believe it, EAT YOUR CALORIES BURNT! You will see a big difference. You are not eating enough and working out to much so your body is keeping all that you are giving it for it not to go in starvation mode ....
    Good Luck!
  • Bluejay789
    Options
    Here's truth...

Not enough calories being consumed for your lifestyle/exercise regement. Your eating under your recommended amount and your body is in starvation mode

Your eating a lot of processed food.

Try adjusting your diet to proteins, fresh fruit and veggies.

Plus nothing is logged for your water intake.

I have some tips that have helped me if you want them I will email them to you, just send me a request.

You can do this just need some adjustments.
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Try a bigger breakfast, porridge fruit or something filling, add fruit or veg as snacks, less sugary food and more fresh stuff, it's filling and better for you.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    It's just how many calories you eat but also what you are eating. How much sodium are you taking in? Lots of good posts before me with good advice.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Shake your workout up a bit, like someone said try to add more resistance training, and also if you can try elliptical or jogging etc. Obviously I don't know your workout out routine, but if something like a three hour bike ride is normal maybe your body is just too used to it and you need to introduce different types of workouts to jumpstart your weightloss again.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. Your net calories is 600 - 700 and the min is 1200.

When you exercise that much you need to feed your body more.

Someone just posted that their nutritionist confirmed this as has mine. You body will store the fat and burn the muscle because you haven't given it enough fuel.

Add some lean protein, veggies and fruit to give your body more fuel. Don't waste all that workout energy!!!!

Eat more healthy foods!!!
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just reviewed your diary from the past week and i have to agree, you're not eating enough.

Lose the bread......throw in some more veggies and fruits. You're also eating very little fat and protein........you're diet is pretty much all carbs.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I increased my calorie intake some and switched up my weight training regime. I know it sounds counter intuitive to increase calories but if you're exercising and building muscle it's not. And drink a lot of water. Not drinking enough makes your insides like sludge. Good luck and if that scale doesn't budge be patient and remember how good you feel after working out.
  • outersoul
    Options
    Could it be that you are losing fat but gaining muscle ? It weighs more, but is much healthier. Try taking measurements rather than using your weight as a bench Mark. Don't stop the good work though, your heart and knees will thank you later.

That's definitely not it. It would take a genetic freak to put on muscle at such a deficit. Good advice in the other responses though. It sounds counter intuitive but...eat more.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify....

.....eat more.............GOOD food. You need to start replacing all the packaged crap and putting in whole fresh foods. Lose the microwave dinners and breakfast bars.

Start eating more GOOD food and I bet you'll start to see the needle on the scale move in the right direction.