The BEST diet tool ever!

Options
Many of you are probably using a food scale already. For those that are not, I would highly recommend it! I just got one and I am amazed at the difference between using measuring cups and the digital scale. My cereal says 2/3 cup is a serving. I have been using measuring cups for a while now and and it turns out I have been over eating a lot of calories. Yeah...maybe my measuring might have been a little heavy handed... but I didn't think I was getting THAT much more compared to what the box says.

If buying a scale, look for the "tare" feature as well as an easy way to change grams to oz.

I just had to put my 2 cents in. I want all of you to reach your goals! Good luck!

Stacy

Replies

• StacLR
    StacLR Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Many of you are probably using a food scale already. For those that are not, I would highly recommend it! I just got one and I am amazed at the difference between using measuring cups and the digital scale. My cereal says 2/3 cup is a serving. I have been using measuring cups for a while now and and it turns out I have been over eating a lot of calories. Yeah...maybe my measuring might have been a little heavy handed... but I didn't think I was getting THAT much more compared to what the box says.

If buying a scale, look for the "tare" feature as well as an easy way to change grams to oz.

I just had to put my 2 cents in. I want all of you to reach your goals! Good luck!

Stacy
  • plussizemommy
    Options
    Thanks for saying this. I don't have a food scale but I have really been pondering about getting one! It would make things so much easier. I think I may get one next payday!
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    I'm willing to try anything! :laugh:

I also use measuring cups so maybe I am incorrectly calculating my calories!:grumble:

I'll have to try this! Thanks!!:flowerforyou:
  • rebcolorado
    Options
    I totally agree ... there is typically a pretty big difference between a weight serving and a measured serving.
  • FletcherChic
    Options
    i love my OXO Good Grips Scale with Pull-Out Display!!!!...this is actually my second food scale - the first one was a great generic scale i bought at walmart and used for years...i really researched the 2nd one and i love love love this one!!!! it has the tare button which is a must have...it does pounds/ounces or kilograms/grams....what i love most about this one is the pull-out digital display....you can put a big dinner plate on it and not worry about having to bend down to try to read the display - this one just pulls out and wah-lah you can see your numbers!!! i will take this one with me to my grave!! :laugh:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJMTNA
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    yup... my scale rocks :flowerforyou: (15$ at walmart... there's really no reason not to get one)
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I agree! I use measuring cups, spoons and my food scale all the time.

It is a huge eye-opener to see how much we were eating before!
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Ive been putting off getting a food scale because I moved to a new apt and my kitchen is so teeny tiny. I havent even finished unpacking all my kitchen stuff and all my cabinets are full :(

I have been bouncing around the same 4 lbs for 3 weeks so maybe I should bite the bullet and get one ..but where to put it ?
  • StacLR
    StacLR Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Once I realized that I was actually eating 80g of cereal (while using measuring cups) and logging calories for 57g, I started loosing a lot faster!

Here is the one I got... (but mine is silver...looks the same though). The only beef I have with it is that it will turn its self off pretty quickly if it is not being used. I might reach for something to put in a bowl sitting on the scale and by the time I come back, it has shut off.

http://www.target.com/Taylor-Kitchen-Scale-White-lb/dp/B000BH3PE0/sr=1-4/qid=1236824782/ref=sr_1_4/189-3594078-0921833?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&rh=k:taylor scale digital&page=1

Don't worry...it doesn't take up much space and it can always be put away.
  • JamieArmbruster
    JamieArmbruster Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have one that has been in my cupboard for years! Now you have me thinking!! I would have to guess I am probably going over by just using measuring cups,etc... Thanks for the post, I had forgotten all about mine!
  • mamaslosing
    Options
    HEY STACY, I STARTED USING A SCALE IN FEBRUARY AND WAS AMAZED AT HOW MUCH I WAS OVEREATING!!! SCARY! I USE MINE ALL THE TIME, I STILL USE MEASURING CUPS FOR SOMETHINGS ALSO!:smile: