Diabetic Friendly Food Swaps

pamperedlinny
pamperedlinny Posts: 1,629 Member
I was pre-diabetic for about 10 years and then became full diabetic. I have managed to stay off medication by bringing down my numbers with diet and exercise and I'm always looking for more ways to eat the foods I crave without having my blood sugar spike.

What are some of your favorite swaps or recipe tips to help keep those cravings down?

Some of mine:
-Vegetables covered in marinara sauce can make excellent pasta substitues. Often I still eat the pasta but keep it to exactly one serving and then add a similar shaped veggie (like frozen cut green beans with elbow macaroni) to bulk up my meal
-Air fried turnip to replace fries (works best if you are "loading" them with something else like nacho fries or buffalo fries)
-Add water chestnuts to my taco meat when I'm making taco salad. Adds a crunch without adding tortilla chips to my meal
-G Hughes Polynesian Sauce is the BEST replacement for Chick-Fil-A polynesian sauce
-Making dip mixes using half light sour cream & half nonfat plain Greek yogurt gives a boost of protein from the yogurt without compromising the taste of your dip
-Joseph's Pita with Oat, Flax & Bran work great for gyros and wraps

Tagged:

Replies

• Lynxes602
    Lynxes602 Posts: 23 Member
    edited May 2022
    Hi there, I'm new to having T1D and understand dieting is hard at times. I read the hell out of my food labels now. It gives a better understanding to what's going into your body. Creating healthy habits and holding yourself accountable is a big step, and you are already doing that.

Sticking to low fat, low carb, low sugar food is a good step. Since your pre diabetic I would definitely watch carbs all together. Count your net carbs and include fiber in everything you eat. Watch your numbers on MFP food diary by tracking your food. Consume good carbs, look for low fat and eat proteins.

Subs for me - I really like chocolate, so I get sugar free chocolate or dark chocolate. For breads, I sub them with whole wheat and seeded bread, tortillas are hard but they exist by using corn tortillas. Fat craving, I take care with soft cheeses like gouda and mozzarella. Sauces are tricky, a lot of companies like to put sugar in those so read the labels.

I have stuck myself to a very strict diet but I hope this helps.\\

• mommabear1968jd
    mommabear1968jd Posts: 4 Member
    I'm T1D I was diagnosed about 12 months ago. My bloods were all over the place at first loads of highs & lows but since I've been following a low carb diet, practically cutting them out (I'm coeliac too so it helps with that as well) I'm shedding weight & hardly taking any basal insulin
  • mommabear1968jd
    mommabear1968jd Posts: 4 Member
    Oh and lots of walking too!