Digital scale or Wi Fit which is better

Hey All, What type of scale is better to weigh on I have a digital scale and it shows one weight but when I do wi fit and have it measure my weight it has a different weight. So far I went with the digit scale just wondering if anyone knows which one is more accurate?

Replies

• bump.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    When I first started MFP I was using my Wii Fit because my old scale wasn't super accurate. We decided after a while to get a digital scale, and when I compared the two the Wii Fit weighed me heavier. Well, soon after that I had a doctor's appointment. So, I weighed myself before I left, and the doctor's scale weighed me the same as our bathroom scale. I would say the digital scale is more accurate. :-)
  • Depends if you have the wii fit on carpet the digital scale would be more accurate. Either way pick one and stick with it
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 519 Member
    I use both and have found them to be fairly close. Just pick one and stick with it. Good luck!
  • I use a Digital scale. It has a fat % calculator on it as well so I find that really useful. The Wii I found was a little too temperamental. Hope it helps.
  • I don't think it matters as long as you are consistent and use the same scale. I'm curious. Did you weight at the same time? Your weight fluctuates during the day. If you weigh in the morning your weight will naturally be lower than later in the day.
  • I like the scale better because although the WiFit tracks it, the stupid little character makes me feel worse about myself than I should when the belly grows and the little man says that I'm obese. (Just my two cents, that isn't very motivating!)
  • merguson
    merguson Posts: 281 Member
    My Wii scale has never been accurate.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    my wii board is about 10lbs less than my digital scale. I go by the digital one
  • You can always put a known weight (like a dumbbell which is most likely accurate within a fraction of a pound) on both scales and see...

You can also measure yourself 3+ times on each one and get a standard deviation :-) They might overlap on their readings (especially if carpet is involved as one person mentioned), making them non-statistically significantly different.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    If you have hard wood or tile floor there should be no difference. If you have any kind of padding/carpet on the floor, a digital scale on a hard surface will be more accurate.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    That really depends on your scales! Personally, the Wii board always weighs me 1-2lb lighter, but I'd go with that over the bathroom scales I use (not digital)
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Sorry, I don't know what the wi fit is. But I'd say a decent digital scale is a very good choice.

I paid $35-ish for mine. It is *very* repeatable and reads out to 0.2 pounds. Keep in mind that an 8 oz glass of water weighs about 0.5 pounds. So if you choose to weigh yourself every day, a scale this accurate will show real, physical fluctuations in weight due to all sorts of changes in your body : amount of exercise, fluid retention due to salt/electrolyte balance, food intake, excretion, etc.

It depends on each person whether they *want* to see their weight recorded this accurately. Sometimes any tiny uptick or too many days before a downtick can be devastating. But if you can be detached and treat it as "just data", then its kind of cool to watch the graph develop day by day. Of course, in the big picture, your weight is just a number. But for me, seeing a consistent, honest, day by day record of my weight keeps me interested in my diet and committed to sticking with it.

The most important thing in getting a useful measurement is to use the same scale every time, and try to weigh yourself under very repeatable conditions. Usually, this means weighing in right after you wake up, after you pee, wearing either nothing or the clothes you sleep in.
  • My Wii is about 1 or 2 lbs lighter than the doctor scale so I just go with it. I have an old dial scale that weighs about 4 lbs light and figuring that, they weigh me at the same weight.
  • forme2310
    forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
    thanks for all the great responses:glasses:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    If you want them to be the same for your records.. go into the body test mode where it asks you about clothes and pick minus whatever the difference is.. for example.. my wii fit always shows me as 4lb heavier than my scales .. so cos I want to use wii fit to monitor the loss I get weighed with nothing on then select -4... and I get the same as my bathroom scales.. then can watch the graph go down and the little animated board tell me how well I'm doing!!! :happy:

I especially love it when it tells me I'm superfit and 10 years younger than my actual age! :laugh:
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    I use the digital scale since the Wii Fit is much more involved and time consuming to use as a scale. And I don't use it all the time.