How does MFP calculate calories for Google Fit workouts?

Options
uscpsycho
uscpsycho Posts: 5 Member
The following note is from here.
Please Note: The calories burned for the exercise listed in MyFitnessPal will not match the calorie burn listed in Google Fit. This is because Google Fit does not take into account your age and sex when doing their calculation. MyFitnessPal takes this information into account and produces a different estimation of the calorie burn for the logged exercise on our end.

So how exactly does MFP calculate an accurate calorie burn without the HR data? I am assuming that GF is not sending all the minute-by-minute HR data it collects, which is key for calculating calories. A one-hour workout can vary greatly depending on the intensity. Even taking the average HR of a workout over an hour is not going to enable MFP to accurately calculate calorie burn. So data is MFP using to ensure a more accurate total than what GF is calculating?

Answers

• uscpsycho
    uscpsycho Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but this doesn't answer my question. I have a very specific Google Fit question not answered by that link.
  • eberswick
    eberswick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also would like to know. I would like to make the appropriate workout from the regular "aerobics general" to something more appropriate is logged when bringing in data from Google Fit.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I also have google fit. It seems to calculate its own calories burned from it's.own database(not sure how) and then send that info to mfp. The entries don't always match up well. For instance, when I run, it transfers over from google fit as "running, training pushing wheelchair". The calories burned look the same in either app. Both have my weight, but not HR.
This discussion has been closed.