Going over daily calorie count

Options
Hi my name is Lisa I am new to fitness pal today I went over my daily calories and now I feel bad I will get back on track tomorrow yet I feel like I am delaying my goal

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Lisa it takes a bit to get used to counting calories at every meal, and using those numbers to eat according to plan. Give yourself some time to get the hang of it. You will be on track soon!

Annie
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Plan out your meals the night before on the app. I know exactly how many calories all my meals will be the following day. I work a lot better with structure.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Lisa, it’s okay. I “like” every single post on my newsfeed where someone completes their diary whether they were under their goal or not. Why? Literally just being accountable, just writing it down is a step in the right direction.

Your progress comes from a whole bunch of small choices that build up over time. One off day, one big meal, one day laying around in your PJs eating comfort food because you feel crappy won’t derail all the progress you are making by all the days you get it right.

Just keep going. Don’t give up.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If you go over your goal a little bit on any given day, it won't make much difference (especially if it is just a little bit). If you are trying to lose at the pace of a pound a week, MFP sets your allowance at -500/day. If you go over by 200 calories, you're still at -300/day and you will still be losing...just at a slower rate.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It's a long haul game. I've learned that the guilt and shame is both counterproductive and optional. Some days are higher some are lower, it all evens out in the wash. I've got months of work ahead of me and years of maintenance, what's another day getting there?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    Lisa, it’s okay. I “like” every single post on my newsfeed where someone completes their diary whether they were under their goal or not. Why? Literally just being accountable, just writing it down is a step in the right direction.

Your progress comes from a whole bunch of small choices that build up over time. One off day, one big meal, one day laying around in your PJs eating comfort food because you feel crappy won’t derail all the progress you are making by all the days you get it right.

Just keep going. Don’t give up.

This part- “where someone completes their diary…”

We when we say we’re counting calories we are really saying we are doing a number of things. We’re crunching the numbers and we are recording them in a food dairy. We’re doing this because we’ve calculated a calorie target aimed at eating in a deficit. We are trying to stay at or under that number. The number crunching and tracking are things to do. The only way not to do them is to decide not to. The target is always a work in progress until the end of the day. We soon figure out that we have a better chance of hitting our number if we have a plan for the day.

The process is more important than the number at the end of the day. It’s complicated. There are countless ways to go over our numbers-inadequate plans, spontaneous celebrations, diet fatigue, loss of concentration at critical times, simple math mistakes and misread NI. These are not failures, they are errors. They are problems to solve for next time. The purpose of the food diary is to uncover them so they can be fixed. Find and solve enough problems and we get to goal. It will take as long as it takes.

No one who completed their diary yesterday has to start over today.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    faith61261 wrote: »
    Hi my name is Lisa I am new to fitness pal today I went over my daily calories and now I feel bad I will get back on track tomorrow yet I feel like I am delaying my goal

Well ... quite frankly, anytime we overeat we are delaying our weight loss goal ... BUT ... as long as you don't do that every day, or every other day, you will still be able to lose weight. Just try to do your best each day and on the days you slip up, maybe thinking about WHY you slipped up and HOW you might be able to prevent that the next time you are in the a similar situation is a far better use of your time and energy than beating yourself up over what has already happened and cannot be changed going backwards. Look ahead.
  • potatospud
    potatospud Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa, I recommend trying to be kinder to yourself and accepting we all have slip ups! It's okay, as long as we get back on the horse and don't give up. I think that matters way more than a little extra calories here or there 😄