Stop seeing much progress after losing 6kg.

Options
I log pretty accurately & not seeing as much progress like I did from the start.Not sure where to from now?A little frustrated at the moment!

Replies

• Regdhy4252
    Regdhy4252 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same here. I’m pretty careful logging too. I’m attributing slow progress to a knee injury and not walking for exercise as I’d like to. I know walking helps.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Usually you lose pretty quickly when you cut down on calories. As far as I know your muscles lose their glycogen, meaning you will be holding on to less water. I wouldn’t worry about it, just make sure you are heading in the right direction
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    A lot of people lose quickly the first week or two, and then it seems to stop for a while. That is because much of the initial weight loss is water. When you cut carbs, your body retains less water. The first time I did Atkins I lost 14 pounds the first two weeks, then nothing for the next month or more. Eventually you get back in balance and then you'll notice that the weight starts coming off again if you have consistently kept your calories at or below goal. Be patient and be consistent and you'll see progress again.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Stick with it. The most frustrating thing about weight loss is scale weight. Normal, healthy fluctuation in hydration makes steady daily progress hard to see on the scale. Just because progress is hard to see does not mean it is not happening. If you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight and the scale will eventually reflect it -- sometimes it's 3-weeks worth of loss in a day or 2 after 3 weeks of seemingly no loss.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    People typically see rapid results at the beginning and then everything slows down. That's normal, it doesn't mean anything is wrong, it just means you're past the initial rapid loss phase.

This is why a lot of people give up on weight loss around the 6 week mark.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,449 Member
    Options
    Hi, Evan. Looks like you joined about eight weeks ago? 8kilos is super good so far. In fact, probably a little too quick, unless you are well into the obese range. That’s almost a kilo (over 2 lbs a week).

Slower , more considered loss tends to stay off longer than jackrabbit loss.

Pounds do tend to come off rapidly for many people the first month and then they think they e hit a wall and give up and quit. Don’t do that. Your body is still adjusting to all the changes you’re throwing at it.

Consider getting a graph-smoothing app like Libra. It “smooths” the jagged peaks and valleys of the weight loss graph so you can wrap your brain around it a little better.

I often hit periods where I didn’t lose for a few weeks- yet my waist size diminished or I noticed changes elsewhere in my body.

Check out this thread. NSV means “Non Scale Victory”. This thread got me over many humps.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1275030/whats-your-most-recent-nsv
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,449 Member
    Options
    PS don’t forget, if you’ve recently added exercise into the mix, or bumped up your routine, your body will retain water weight to help in recovery from soreness. I’ve got a lot of joint pain right now, and am up several pounds. I’m not worried. I know it’s water and will wash out eventually when the pain eases up.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I've found that tape measurements helped me immensely because there aren't fluctuations due to various reasons. There is however one problem - error. The solution is measuring multiple parts of your body and daily as well. I get feedback of overeating within 3 days typically. check out my posts at the end of each recent Give Me 10 Days challenge to see what the numbers look like.