Is it normal to be starving at night? Still figuring out maintenance calories

Options
Hi there so I am on maintenance calories and the fitness app sais they should be 1600-1800 for moderately active.. however at night after I’ve eaten these calories I’m literally starving I am just wondering should I go to bed hungry? I feel ok and not starving if I eat … 2000… I work out a few days a week . I do think I have a fast metabolism because I lost weight eating 1600 1200 definitely to low for me .. is it safe to raise my maintenance calories? Should I follow my hunger ?

Replies

• bobschmidt21
    bobschmidt21 Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Going to bed hungry can be hard psychologically and after a while can feel like torture. Maintenance should be about recovery and getting back to normal and if you’re hungry it might mean you need to eat more. (You could also be dehydrated).

One thing I’ve been doing for a long time is having a high protein snack before bed. My usual go-to has been a serving of chicken bone broth, collagen peptides and a serving of Greek yogurt. That’s about 40g of protein and about 200 calories. I budget for them through out the day. I’m currently in a fat-lose phase so I’m eating about 1700-1800 while running and lifting weights. But I’m not hungry before bed and the casein protein from the yogurt is slower digesting protein which means it stays in my system longer which gives me a benefit as I sleep and recover from weight lifting. Plus it keeps me from eating my pillow when I wake up :).

Just a suggestion that might work for you as it’s worked for me. Try either adding that snack in as part of your existing calorie budget or adding them on top of what your taking in. Give it about two weeks and see how the scale responds. If you start gaining then you can back off. But if your still maintaining then you’re golden. Hope this helps. Sorry if it was too wordy.
  • gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What mfp tells you to eat is just a guess. There are so many factors that go into how many calories you need that mfp cannot account for. If your body is telling you that you need more calories, you need to increase the calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    If you're on what some calculator (including MFP) or fitness tracker tells you is maintenance calories, it may or may not be your personal, individualized maintenance calories. If your weight is stable** over multiple weeks to multiple months, you're at maintenance calories - that's really the way to know, because calculators/trackers just spit out population averages for similar people, and you're an individual.

** Stable weight = meandering randomly up and down through the same small number of pounds day to day over a long time period, not one single exact weight.

That said, hunger isn't necessarily a good guide. Other things also affect hunger. Sub-par nutrition can trigger appetite. Specific food choices can trigger appetite, and which foods are most sating varies by individual. For some people, food timing matters for appetite/satiation. Poor sleep quality/quantity can trigger appetite, as can high stress. Some people find that certain types of exercise trigger higher appetite.

• soldodunja81
    soldodunja81 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You guys are really great , thank you :) !
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hi there so I am on maintenance calories and the fitness app sais they should be 1600-1800 for moderately active.. however at night after I’ve eaten these calories I’m literally starving I am just wondering should I go to bed hungry? I feel ok and not starving if I eat … 2000… I work out a few days a week . I do think I have a fast metabolism because I lost weight eating 1600 1200 definitely to low for me .. is it safe to raise my maintenance calories? Should I follow my hunger ?

If you lost weight at 1600, then 1600-1800 can't really be maintenance (at least not the lower end). I think your own experience is showing that you can eat more to maintain, so try upping it a bit to avoid going to bed hungry.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "1600-1800 for moderately active" - Plus exercise calories on top of your base calories.
    " I lost weight eating 1600" - unless you lost very, very slowly then 1600-1800 isn't going to be your maintenance calories.
    " is it safe to raise my maintenance calories?" - Of course it's safe! How can it be unsafe? Assuming you intend maintaining long term you will have to make many adjustments during your lifetime.

One very important thing you haven't mentioned is what your weight trend is actually doing.
  • soldodunja81
    soldodunja81 Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I can’t reply directly, my weight was going down. I’ve recently raised the maintenance calories because I was so hungry and my weight went up about 1 lb however it might be water weight.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Eating protein at night really helps me. So I actually eat a quarter cup of ice cream with nuts on a spoonful of plain yogurt on it. I like it. It's not that many calories. It's not too sweet. It cuts the craving.

Boiled eggs are good too. Again, it's the protein.

I also find that often I think I'm hungry but really I'm thirsty.