Not loosing weight in legs!

Options
Hi, I started eating healthy, and working out 4 weeks ago. I've lost 6-7 pounds. From 140 lb to 133 lb. I've lost inches everywhere except my legs. What the heck? That's my problem area I guess. I gain weight in legs, and butt first. Can it be from working out? I never worked out before, and lost weight in legs. So this is pretty annoying.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You can't spot-reduce or choose where fat comes off of your body. If you have recently started exercising and did a lot of lower-body-focused movement, you may also be retaining water in that area to repair those muscles, especially if your legs feel sore or stiff - so to a certain degree, yes, it could be from working out. Strength training focusing on the lower body will help to define the muscles in your legs and butt, so that's one way to improve the appearance of that overall region.

But also, people are shaped different ways, and if your natural body shape tends toward the pear-shaped, with thicker legs and wider hips, there really isn't anything you can do about that. It's just how you're built.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    First place to gain, last to lose is common in everyone. It's just different for everyone. Also if you've never worked out regularly, you will increase in size temporarily as water and glycogen infuse cells for recovery and energy. If you stay patient, you will lose if you're on a consistent calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Use this as motivation to never yo-yo diet.

As has already been said, the weight usually comes off last from the place it goes on first. So if you yo-yo a bunch, you can drive yourself crazy.

Try to focus on the long-term, sustainable goals and give your body the time and care it needs to have really great results.

Also note, it could hormonal/water retention/due to countless physiological factors.

Think in terms of years, not weeks.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    YMMV - but here is my experience: All my life, I had very large thighs and always had to buy 'curvy' cut jeans. I lost 85 lbs./6 stone and worked out almost every day jogging on a mini-trampoline. To my astonishment, when I tried on my old smaller sized jeans, my thighs were swimming in fabric! While I wouldn't call it spot reducing, I believe the daily 30 minute jog had a definite impact on slimming my rear, hips and thighs.