Exercise ~ What is everyone doing to meet their individual g

Options
Sometimes I wonder if I am doing too much or too little. Because of a back injury, I had to quit working out for almost a year and automatically put on 20 lbs. A week ago I was given medical clearance to return to Weight training and I'm starting out slow....one set, 10 reps to failure meaning...the weights I am using makes me experience fatigue by Rep#6 and complete failure either by Rep#9 or 10. Truly its pushing the limit thereby decreasing the amount of time spent in the gym..no more than 20-30 minutes 3x/week. Ok, here's what I'm doing ~ my goal to lose 40 lbs and make meet my 130 lb. target weight with t he most lean muscle mass I can muster. On my off days...I am treading...but will call it a pleasure tread just to keep moving...its winter here and I can't get out much to walk my dogs.

BOWFLEX

All exercises will be done for ONE SET, 10 REPS EACH ~ weights adjusted to 10th rep Failure.

Leg Curls - 25 lbs resistance aside
Leg Extenstions - 30 lbs resistance aside
Bench Press - 30 lbs resistance aside
Lying BiCeps Curl* - 25 lbs resistance aside
French Press (triceps)* - 25 lbs. resistance aside
Lying Shoulder Pullovers* - 25 lbs resistance aside
Seated, Resisted, Abdominal Crunch* - 25 lbs resistance aside

FREE WEIGHTS as per the book using 8 lb. weights, 10 reps each:

One Arm Rows
Stationary Lunges
NO PUSHUPS...Couldn't do one when I was a teenager, why would I think I could now...I tried but it was a NO GO.
Squats
Shoulder Press
Dead Lifts
BiCep Curls were done on the bowflex, I added french press right after*
Abdominal bicycle
Bent-Over Rear Deltoid Fly

Did the exercises on the Ball as per chiropractor's instructions

*UPPED EXERCISES BY 5 LBS. RESISTANCE WEIGHTS.

Replies

• DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder if I am doing too much or too little. Because of a back injury, I had to quit working out for almost a year and automatically put on 20 lbs. A week ago I was given medical clearance to return to Weight training and I'm starting out slow....one set, 10 reps to failure meaning...the weights I am using makes me experience fatigue by Rep#6 and complete failure either by Rep#9 or 10. Truly its pushing the limit thereby decreasing the amount of time spent in the gym..no more than 20-30 minutes 3x/week. Ok, here's what I'm doing ~ my goal to lose 40 lbs and make meet my 130 lb. target weight with t he most lean muscle mass I can muster. On my off days...I am treading...but will call it a pleasure tread just to keep moving...its winter here and I can't get out much to walk my dogs.

BOWFLEX

All exercises will be done for ONE SET, 10 REPS EACH ~ weights adjusted to 10th rep Failure.

Leg Curls - 25 lbs resistance aside
    Leg Extenstions - 30 lbs resistance aside
    Bench Press - 30 lbs resistance aside
    Lying BiCeps Curl* - 25 lbs resistance aside
    French Press (triceps)* - 25 lbs. resistance aside
    Lying Shoulder Pullovers* - 25 lbs resistance aside
    Seated, Resisted, Abdominal Crunch* - 25 lbs resistance aside

FREE WEIGHTS as per the book using 8 lb. weights, 10 reps each:

One Arm Rows
    Stationary Lunges
    NO PUSHUPS...Couldn't do one when I was a teenager, why would I think I could now...I tried but it was a NO GO.
    Squats
    Shoulder Press
    Dead Lifts
    BiCep Curls were done on the bowflex, I added french press right after*
    Abdominal bicycle
    Bent-Over Rear Deltoid Fly

Did the exercises on the Ball as per chiropractor's instructions

*UPPED EXERCISES BY 5 LBS. RESISTANCE WEIGHTS.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    i walk... for an hour... that's about it...
    Looking at what you do I am guessing I'm not doing enough. everybody is different. keep up the good work:happy:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6165--new-easter-fitness-challenge-join-us?hl=new+easter+fitness#posts-41730

check out this post to see what a lot of us have committed to.

:flowerforyou:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Walk/run 4-5 days a week Kickboxing 2 days a week and Zumba one day a week....Yes some of these overlap 2 per day on a few days...:laugh:

dd
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I just run through the machines and do free weights until it adds up to 30 minutes. Every machine is different, so it's hard to tell if what you do on the bowflex is the same as what I do on the cybex - as long as you are working to failure, you're fine. Here it is though:

I usually do 2 sets of 8-12 reps. I do it until failure:

Hip extension - in and out - 65-75 lbs
    Chest press - 55-60 lbs
    pull back and pull down (back) - 60 lbs
    oblique machine (side to side) - 70 lbs
    crunch machine - 70 lbs
    curls - 20 lbs
    triceps - 25 lbs
    bench press - 35? lbs (bar is rather heavy on this one)
    All the leg machines hurt my knee, so I don't do them - all my cardio is leg stuff anyway.

Free weights (all are dumb bells, so it's in each hand)
    curls to shoulder press (one motion, don't know what this is called) - 12.5 lbs
    tricep kickbacks - 12.5 (may need to go up in weight here)
    tricep dips
    crunches on ball - usually 30 or so
    crunch legs to chest - need to change this one from the dip bar to different exercise for lower abs - haven't found one I like yet
    fly over ball or bench - 12.5
    shoulder raises front and side - 5 lbs

sometimes I add (especially if I'm at home):
    plank - timed - try for 60 seconds
    superman - timed - 60 seconds - twice
    push-ups - however many
    leg lifts
    bridge pose - 2 minutes

Need to add:
    squats
    lunges
    bicycle
    lower ab work

Oh, I do some sort of cardio every day, stretch almost every day, and yoga once or twice a week. I alternate between easy cardio on weight days and hard cardio.
  • DaHunxter
    Options
    What you're doing, within the limits of the injury you've experienced, looks pretty good! Only real changes I can see would be on your Bowflex routine, put the shoulder pullovers in front of the arm work. This will prestress the bicep/triceps before you work them, giving you a bit more work and results. Beyond that, I'm thinking you'll meet your goals pretty quickly, depending on your diet.
  • DianneLynn
    Options
    Wow ... I see I am in good company here. It looks great everyone...Keep up the fabulous work!

Thanks DaHunxster...I'll give that a try on Wednesday!

"I'm thinking you'll meet your goals pretty quickly, depending on your diet." Thanks for the encouragement...unfortunately being hypothyroid makes it harder ... Ugh!
  • DaHunxter
    Options
    If I'm not being too personal, what kind of treatment regimen are you on for the hypothyroidism? Does it present itself in fatigue or just overall malaise? If I am being to personal, please feel free to tell me to mind my own biz, ok?
  • DaHunxter
    Options
    If I'm not being too personal, what kind of treatment regimen are you on for the hypothyroidism? Does it present itself in fatigue or just overall malaise? If I am being to personal, please feel free to tell me to mind my own biz, ok?
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I feel like I change mine every time I hit the gym...
    I usually start out by doing 40-50 minutes of cardio (alternating between the treadmill, bike and elliptical because I'm too ADD to stay on one for the whole time)
    If I'm going to do weights, I start on the machines and go for about 30-35 minutes or until I'm just tired of being in there...then I start my ab workout which consists of crunches with a 10lb weight and leg lifts and the crunch machine.
    if I'm feeling overzealous, I'll get back on the elliptial or treadmill for another 15 minutes before i leave.
    If i'm not doing weights, I'll usually alternate cardio for an hour or an hour and ten minutes before doing my abs...
    since i've been graced with belly fat, I try to work on my abs every time I"m in the gym.

Should I be doing more circuits and alternating weights with cardio or is it okay to just get it all over with in the beginning of the workout?...
    I just want results- as we all do.
  • DianneLynn
    Options
    No worries DaHunxter!

Firstly, thank you so much for suggesting I do my pullovers before any bi or tricep work...It DOES make a difference.

Secondly, standard treatment for Hypothryoidism is Levothyroxine or Synthroid daily...The tricky part is to time it correctly as multivitamins and calcium ingestion makes everything go wonky. Usually one needs at least a 4 hour window on either side of taking it to remain at a "normal" level. Alot of blood tests initially determined the amount to be taken as the lowest amount is desirable because a lifetime of taking these meds will deplete bone density ~ another great reason towards weight training. I also had some food allergy tests done targeting cruciferous veggies and found that broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage are things I cannot eat without my thyroid flipping out.

Symptoms...ahh....extreme fatigue(&good ole black bags under the eyes), dry skin, hair and nails (hair and nails just break), no appetite which forces your bod into starvation mode....all in all ...just plain ole FUN (sarc). You KNOW when its not right...your energy just shuts off as if a lightswitch.

Just as a note...everyone feels better at different TSH levels...Apparently Canada & the US have different levels of normal...through trial and error my TSH level @ 1-2 is what gets me through the day although my first "idiot" doctor (as Canadian Health Care is more than substandard nowadays...the good plan is now an myth)insisted I should feel better @ 3-5...but then again he was the same one that had no clue what calcium does to thyroid meds...it actually negates them....I guess I taught him something!

Sooo I'm sure thats more than you wanted to know....:laugh: Have a super day everyone!
  • DianneLynn
    Options
    Caroline Fitness....what you are describing to me is a plan to fail...NO ONE I know has that much time! (and what I mean by this is...if you are spending a couple hours you are more apt to not go on a day you just have too many other things to do~the goal is to make your gym time fit your lifestyle so you are more apt to continue doing it rather than not)

It's only my opinion, but I would suggest Circuit Training 3x a week. and set the weights so by the 10th rep you are at failure (meaning you just can't do another if your life depended on it) and that way you can start off by doing one set which will minimize your time in the gym.

On your non-weight days, hit the treadmill and I would suggest, again, no more than 20-30 minutes either at a high intensity or I really like the Hills & Valleys programs using Speed...start off comfortably but always challenge yourself ...your heart should be pumping by the end of 20-30 minutes or you are having a leisure tread.

Good Luck on whatever you choose!
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Monday
    10 minutes of Warmup and stretching
    Incline Barbell Press 4sets of 6
    Dumbell Becnh Press 4 sets of 8
    Decline Bench Press 3 sets of 10
    Dumbell Fly 3 sets of 10 (after last set drop 20% of weight and go until failure)
    Laying Tricep Extension 4 sets of 10
    Cable Pulldown 3 sets of 10 (after last set drop 20% of weight and go until failure)
    Overhead tricep extentsion with dumbell 3 sets of 12 (after last set drop 20% of weight and go until failure)
    25 minutes of HIIT on treadmill after lifting

Tuesday
    10 minutes of Warmup and Stretching
    Squats 4 sets of 10
    Leg press 4 sets of 8
    Leg extensions 3 sets of 10
    Leg curls seated 3 sets of 10
    Leg Curls laying face down 3 sets of 10
    Machine Crunch 3 sets of 20
    Side bends 2 sets of 15
    Crunch 3 sets of 15
    30 minutes of treadmill at 3.5

Wednesday
    30 minutes on elliptical

Thursday
    Bent over lateral raises 4 sets of 10
    T Bar Row 3 sets of 10
    Lat pulldown 3 sets of 10
    straight arm cable pull down 3 sets of 10
    Back Extensions 3 sets of 15
    Dumbell Curls 3 sets of 10
    Straight Barbell curls standing 3 sets of 10
    Preacher Curls w/ curl bar 3 sets of 10 (after last set drop 20% of weight and go until failure)
    Forearm curl 3 sets of 20
    20 minutes of HIIT on treadmill

Friday
    10 minutes of warmup and stretching
    Shoulder Press 4 sets of 8
    Standing Lateral Raises w/ dumbell 3 sets of 10
    Seated Lateral Raises w/ dumbell 3 sets of 10
    Shrugs 3 sets of 10
    Machine Crunch 3 sets of 20
    Side bends 2 sets of 15
    Crunch 3 sets of 15
    30 minutes of cardio usually Elliptical on Friday

Weekends I usually rest but last weekend I walked 36 holes carrying my own bag.

Any suggestions on the weight training?
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I have an XL Glider that I work on from around 15-30 minutes every evening. It depends on how many calories I need to burn.
  • DianneLynn
    Options
    RKJR,

(Being totally honest here)

I guess the first thing I have to ask about your Exercise Regimen is....Are you happy with it?

I see that you are alternating muscle groups and that is EXCELLENT.

The Bowflex Body Builder Advice Team advised me not to do cardio on the same day as I weight train.

20 reps?? sorry I don't know anyone that does 20 reps of a particular exercise ~ is the weight too light for you?

When I used to go to the Gym (before I had my own), I had a kinesiologist as a trainer...and my husband had a trainer at his gym...the most we were ever told to do was 3 sets of 15 reps.

What I am presently trying is Jim Karas' approach to strength training. What attracted me to his theory is the fact that one minimizes their time in the gym for the maximum result. He believes in one set of 10 but set at a weight whereby one experiences fatigue by Rep#6 and Failure by Reps#9 or 10. He doesn't believe in cardio as a tool for weight loss. I'm afraid if I don't streamline my workout, I'll start missing it because "I just dont have the time today".

Hey if it works for you...I am all for it. I commend you on what you are doing...now thats dedication.

How much time do you usually spend in the Gym? HIIT?
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    This workout was from muscle and fitness magazine and it works.

I have always been told that cardio after weight training is when you will burn the most fat.

The only thing that I do 20 reps on is abs and forearms which is typical when isolating. Plus using heavy wheight on forearm curls put a lot of strain on you wrist area
  • Assilem
    Options
    Have you noticed results from walking?

I walk to work 5 days per week, half hour to and half our back. And I'm talking speed walking so fast I feel like i'm gonna trip, plus weekend walks to the park pushing two good sized boys in a stroller but haven't notice any results. I've been doing it for three months now.
  • DianneLynn
    Options
    Yeah I find heavier weights hurting my wrists too...in fact my hands even get stiff from "the push". A few years back, I invested in some great padded palm leather workout gloves and wear them on top of elastic wrist supports...It seems to have done the trick and there's no callousing.
  • Mlieb
    Mlieb Posts: 121
    Options
    Have you noticed results from walking?

I walk to work 5 days per week, half hour to and half our back. And I'm talking speed walking so fast I feel like i'm gonna trip, plus weekend walks to the park pushing two good sized boys in a stroller but haven't notice any results. I've been doing it for three months now.

I have been walking for a hour a day 5-6 days a week. I have been eating per the MFP requirements. I have lost 9 pounds in 6 weeks. I think walking works if you get your heart pumping.

Melissa
  • DianneLynn
    Options
    Unquestionably, one will lose weight walking, especially if their heart rate is up.

The problem lies that as your body becomes accustomed to it..you will have to challenge yourself more by increasing your walk time or start walking uphill. You might also be losing some lean muscle which opens up the door for "strength training".

By using weights and developing lean muscle mass...your weight losses will be more sustainable with a minimum time of 20-30 minutes in the Gym, 3 times a week. Weight training will give you 85% of your required cardio.So with that and a moderately active lifestyle, your cardio requirements should be fulfilled as well.

Most of the articles I've been reading on this concur that the only way to sustain weight loss is to develop lean muscle mass so that your BMR eats those calories up in a resting state.