rachelg45
rachelg45 Posts: 9 Member
Can anyone suggest some easy lunches that I can take to work? Thanks

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Can you give more information?
    About how many calories are you looking to spend on your lunch?
    Do you have any dietary restrictions or preferences?
    Do you have a refrigerator at work? A microwave?

In general, the easiest things are sandwiches, salads, soups, or leftovers from last night's dinner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    In the winter I tend to do more leftovers as we do more big one pot things like stews and casseroles. In the warmer months I usually have a tuna salad sandwich with a small garden salad about 3x per week. The other two days is usually leftovers from the night or two before...usually chicken thighs, a veg, and grain or starch. We grill chicken a couple nights per week and always make extra for lunches.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I usually do salad or veggies with a protein...
  • kstone70
    kstone70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big pan of roasted vegetables (whatever I have- this weeks was carrots, Brussels sprouts, onions, zucchini. Squash, green beans). I roast with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, red cooking wine, Dijon, garlic, and herbs. Then I cook several pieces of tilapia with Cajun seasoning. I take a fillet of tilapia and a big bowl of roasted vegetables. It is absolutely delicious and keeps me satisfied for hours.
  • Susanna527
    Susanna527 Posts: 1,546 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hi :) I made this last night as part of my workday lunches meal prep (photo is from website). It's a very forgiving recipe (I didn't have cilantro, the dried fruit & only had red quinoa, and it turned out really good). The curry doesn't overpower in the dish, either, and I think it's fairly healthy with the quinoa, veggies, chickpeas and nuts and I saw today that it's also listed as a food option in the food diary section of MF.

https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/curry-cashew-chickpea-quinoa-salad/
    k5l02dqcbm4u.png
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I don’t bring them to work but imagine they easily could be brought if you had a microwave or thermos! Here’s some examples of my usual lunches

Bunless grilled chicken sandwich with cheese
    Grilled cheese and chicken noodle soup
    Salad
    Leftovers
    Turkey sandwich on sub roll
    And I’ll add some cheese and crackers or chips and dip, fruit, and a vegetable usually and sometimes a yogurt or pudding
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Leftovers are always the easiest lunch.

That said, one of my go-to lazy meals right now is a giant plate of raw vegetables, hummus, hard boiled eggs, and toast.

So good.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I love veggie whole wheat wraps made with a mix of raw (grated cabbage, carrots, sweet onions) and lightly sauteed veg (sweet peppers, diced chilis, ginger, bok choy). I toss all the veg in a large bowl and dress with soy sauce, a little honey, sesame oil, lime juice and either rice wine vinegar or the jar juice from spiced pickled ginger. I usually allow the mix to set overnight and drain before assembling the wraps.
    As the protein, I throw some chickpeas and almond butter or peanut butter powder in the food processor with a little sesame oil, pickled ginger and soy sauce. I spread about 2T in each wrap before adding the veg. It's a great Asian inspired wrap that really holds up for work and travel.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Salads in a mason jar. Start with the dressing on the bottom. Then layer in ingredients in order least likely to get wilty/mushy or alternatively make it in the order you want to see it on your plate upside down. refrigerate overnight/ at work. When you are ready to eat shake it up and dump it on a plate.

Same idea works for grain bowls and for noodle bowls/soup. For the latter you would put some better than bouillion in with cooked noodles or rice noodles that only need soaking, not cooking and your desired steamed or roasted leftover vegetables and if you eat meat the cooked meat, shredded or cut in pieces. Since everything is pre cooked You should be able to let it come to room temp by lunch and when ready to eat just pour in hot water and stir it up. (Obviously don’t put a mason jar with a metal collar in the microwave!) Its essentially a home made, healthier version of raemen noodles - with real veggies and actual meat!

If you have leftover rice and veggies and a small amount of fish I sometimes shred the fish and dice the veggies fine and stir that together in a bowl with some soy sauce and strong green tea (esp. if you have the kind of Japanese green tea made with popped rice or barley) for a pseudo-Japanese cup of soup.