Quick healthy meals for the domestically challenged?

Options
I'm looking for quick and healthy meals that I can eat in the evenings. I cannot stress enough the lack of skill I have with cooking...so the easier the better.

I do really well with my diet in the morning and during lunch, but it's the evening when I don't have the time or the knowledge to cook something healthy and I'm passing all those easy fast food restaurants on my way home from a long work day...that I finally just cave in (and add on a ton of calories...)

So I need some ideas for easy at home dinners....

Thanks!

Replies

• cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I just found this great website that was recommended by many on this forum............skinnytaste.com. I have never seen such an assortment of healthy recipes and I love there are lots of photos. Check it out!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    365 Crockpot blog.......
    I love to cook using my crockpot. I either follow a recipe, or just make a simple veggie soup in the am...... turn on the crockpot, and then come home to a healthy dinner at night...... virtually no skill involved.
  • ConnieSG
    Options
    I would also suggest doing something in the crock pot during the day and it would be ready for when you came home!
  • debbinks
    Options
    skinny crockpot has great easy recipes. Throw it all in the am and eat after work
  • Choltor
    Choltor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    They've got these frozen vegetable "steamers" where you just pop the bag in the microwave. It's not a full meal, but it is fast, filling, fairly cheap, and a good source of nutrition.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I second the 365 Crockpot blog but it's not all low fat. There's a page on FB called Skinny Crock Pot, you may like them more.

I cook all of my dinners a head of time and just reheat & eat. I use the cookbooks Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer, the sequel Don't Panic, More Dinner's in the Freezer and Frozen Assets: Light and Hearty. It takes me about a week but I can cook 5 recipes and split them into 3-4 meals for the entire month.

Ziploc Zip N Steam bags are a life/time saver too.
  • mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I made a really nice dinner last night.

Chuck in a bowl some chicken breast fillets (depending on how many servings you want), tblsp of tandoori paste and 4 tblsps of yoghurt and a squeeze of lemon juice. Marinate for as long as you want tbut the longer the better (even before you go to work in the morning). Bake in a hot oven, 200 degrees celcius.

Serve it with half a cup of cooked rice and a salad of cucumber, blanched beans, tomato and coriander. Squeeze lemon and olive oil over it as a dressing

Freaking delicious and only 269 cals
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I'm more about making better choices than I had been.
    Not about make the ABSOLUTELY PERFECT CHOICE (that usually requires more effort than I can maintain on a regular basis)
    Now that I get fewer calories I want to enjoy them more..

I hope you have a TRADER JOE's near you... If not you'll probably be able to find some similar things at your grocery.
    I'll try to add some more.
    Easy... mostly microwaved with semi-prepared (but not too unhealthy) foods.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/auntiebabs
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    For a specific meal, I will suggest a veg and cheese fritatta. Basically, a crustless quiche.

6 eggs + half cup milk (whisked together)
    One red pepper, diced
    One bunch of asparagus, trimmed and chopped
    Some hamsteak, diced, approx 4 oz*
    Shredded cheese, 1/4 cup

Mix everything together, pour into a sprayed pie plate, and cook at 375 for 45 minutes. I cut it into six slices, and since I cook for three adults, we get two meals out of it.

I serve it with baked potatoes.

I am domestically challenged, and this is one of my specialties.

* We actually prefer it now with bacon bits instead of hamsteak. I get some from the salad bar and use approx 1 TBSP in ths dish. Made with the bacon bits, it works out to 122 cals per serving, according to the recipe builder on here.
  • jjbraid
    jjbraid Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I take a pouch of tuna (90cal) and I put a few tablespoons of hot salsa (5 cals p/2 tbs). I put it on a mini wheat bagel (90) cals. Couldnt be easier.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    None of this is by any means "clean"....

Zatarains red beans and rice w/ chicken sausage
    - cut up sausage, cook with rice for 25 minutes

tacos (followed by taco salads with the left over meat).
    -brown meat, add taco seasoning and tomato sauce, throw on some corn tortillas with tomatoes, lettuce and cheese

baked bbq chicken
    -bake chicken pieces at 350 for 45 minutes, top with bottled bbq sauce, bake another 15 minutes.

English muffin pizzas,
    -toast muffins, top (turkey pepperoni and veggies), bake for 8 minutes at 425

Spaghetti
    -boil noodles
    -brown turkey sausage, add jarred sauce.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Steamed vegetables are simple. You can steam broccoli, green beans, zucchini, carrots, and others-it can't hurt to experiment! Add seasonings to add some flair. Again, experiment!

Also, broil meats. about 6 min per side is a place to start. Some require more time, some less.
    You can do Fish, chicken, beef, pork, etc this way.
    Buy some marinade in a bottle or dry rub in a shaker thingy and use on the meats.

Make some rice according to the package directions and add some chicken bouillion to the water.

These basic skills can keep you fed pretty much forever.
  • jjbraid
    jjbraid Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am having taco fiesta but I leave out the tortilla shell. I save myself over 100 calories. Instead, I used heaps and heaps of romain.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    I just found this great website that was recommended by many on this forum............skinnytaste.com. I have never seen such an assortment of healthy recipes and I love there are lots of photos. Check it out!

Thanks, this is a great website with lots of low calorie dishes. You should check it out.
  • missangela1986
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the great advice!
    I do have a Trader Joe's nearby and have found some great meals and deals there... And skinnytaste.com is a great site! I think I found my week's worth of meals on there...they look pretty simple to try, too. :)
  • koutwater
    koutwater Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Pre-cut chicken strips and frozen vegetable stir-fry mix with a dash of soy or bottled teryaki sauce. Way low cal!