High protein diets can reduce testosterone levels in men, study finds.

Options
Mellouk89
Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
edited June 2022 in Food and Nutrition
"The study, published in The Journal of Nutrition and Health and led by nutritionist Joe Whittaker, tested the testosterone levels of 309 men over the course of eight weeks.

Subjects were fed a diet that included 35% meat, fish, and protein shakes.

By the end of the study, their testosterone levels had decreased by an average of 37%. Participants experienced symptoms of decreased testosterone, including erectile dysfunction, fatigue, depression, and muscle weakness, Whittaker, a researcher of nutritional therapy at the University of Worcester in the UK, told Insider."

I also noticed this when I increase my protein intake, my libido drops drastically. I don't know what it is but it explains a lot :

https://www.insider.com/high-protein-diets-decrease-men-testosterone-levels-researchers-say-2022-3#:~:text=A small study by the,the end of the study.

Replies

• gpanda103
    gpanda103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This definitely isn’t an answer for this, but usually as protein gets higher, fats get lower. I replace fat sources with the leaner source. Regular yogurt -> non fat, 80/20 beef -> 93/7… stuff like that. Going low fat always leaves me feeling terrible and the first thing that suffers is overall energy and libido. As soon as I increase my fat I feel much better
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the study, but it's impossible not to have this affect confounded by the hormones/hormone modulators in meat, fish, protein supplements AND the packaging they all tend to be stored in.

There are countless hormone modulating factors floating around our supply chains, which is likely contributing to the precipitous drop in testosterone of men in general, which is highly alarming.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    Xellercin wrote: »
    I haven't read the study, but it's impossible not to have this affect confounded by the hormones/hormone modulators in meat, fish, protein supplements AND the packaging they all tend to be stored in.

There are countless hormone modulating factors floating around our supply chains, which is likely contributing to the precipitous drop in testosterone of men in general, which is highly alarming.

Exactly. Plus the early development in girls, increased waistlines, autoimmune problems among many other negative health trends
  • Mellouk89
    Options
    When I eat a very high fat meal and also high in protein it feels like my testosterone drops to zero afterwards. It's the contrary when I eat a high carb meal.

Iv'e seen some studies saying that a higher carb intake can reduce cortisol and increase free testosterone.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Not to mention overdoing the protein only just wrecks digestion. There's a reason why I love white rice- it is literally the easiest digesting carb, and I stay 9-10% body fat.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    I have not read the study, but wonder what amount of protein is being consumed. The statement "a diet that included 35% meat, fish and protein shakes" can be read a number of ways...35% of total calories? By volume? Something else? Depending on what specifically is being measured, they could be talking about 150 grams of protein or 350 grams of protein. Big difference in deciding whether this study applies to someone like me or mostly to the super-elite mass monster lifters.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Alan Aragon's Research Review (AARR) had an article on this in the March issue. I can't copy/paste, am sharing a snip of one of the pages that I think is particularly relevant (actual article was several pages long):

ax95n17ovqwu.png
  • Mellouk89
    edited June 2022
    Options
    The duration of the study was 8 weeks not 3-10 days so it appears they aren't talking about the same study.

Also it is well known that protein can decrease the sex hormone binding globulin SHBG, i've seen doctors talk about it on youtube.

https://labs.selfdecode.com/blog/sex-hormone-binding-globulin-shbg/#:~:text=High-protein diets were associated,wine did not [96].

"High-protein diets were associated with reduced blood SHBG levels in a study on over 1,500 men"