balancing exercise calories and carbs

Options
My Dr. wants me to watch carbs since she considers me pre-diabetic. I have my calories set at 1100. My question is- once I work out tonight I'll gain back some calories, but how does that effect the carbs? thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Replies

• rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If the majority of the exercise calories you eat back come from protein, thats ideal anyhow, along with helping you maintain the low carb diet prescribed by your doc
  • lrs40708
    Options
    Your body needs carbohydrates in order to function properly especially if you are exercising. I would say you
    should be able to eat your exercise calories as long as you don't go past the calorie limit set for your weight level (loss
    goal). Avoid refined sugars (in food and drinks) and starchy foods (like potatoes and white rice) that tend to spike your
    blood sugar and trigger fat storage. You should be able to reach a normal blood sugar profile by creating a sufficient
    calorie deficit for your current weight. Once you reach a BMI of <= 24 simply calculate your BMR+ acitivity level and maintain
    your weight with the calculated number of calories required. Watch your weight and consult with your doctor.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Not all carbs are equal, either. Glycemic load can vary fairly significantly. That said, nuts or peanut butter (no added sugar), are a decent way to eat back exercise calories because they're fairly dense in terms of calories.
  • Corby86
    Corby86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Not all carbs are equal, either. Glycemic load can vary fairly significantly. That said, nuts or peanut butter (no added sugar), are a decent way to eat back exercise calories because they're fairly dense in terms of calories.

Awesome Mike!

I was just about to say... carbs are OK (I try to eat a low carb diet because it's quite good for the weight loss IF combined with exercise).

I would definately try to go for LOW GI carbs....remember that if you combine HIGH GI foods with LOW GI foods you get MEDIUM GI foods. . ..
    it would be well worth it to find a list of GI values of foods somewhere and try to eat only from the LOW GI list (or combine MEDIUM with LOW or with some fat - which also slows down the rate at which the glucose is released to the bloodstream) ...
    people might be surprised to learn that
    sugar = medium GI
    honey = LOW GI
    sweet potato = medium
    potato = VERY HIGH (probably one of the highest)

So GI is not always what you might think
  • rw4hawks
    rw4hawks Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I appreciate your help!